Gym-less workouts?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Basti, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Basti

Basti not much space to wr

Anyone do this?

So I'm going to start getting fit, buffing up, and all that but I can't afford a gym membership, therefore I'm planning to embark on a DIY mission to unlock as much of my unused physical potential as possible.
    Luckily enough when I quit rugby 4-5 years ago I somehow managed not to go all flabby, but I miss being...well.."ripped" and most of all I want to get all the psychological benefits of being healthy, liking the way I look and all that.

My plan is to do some exercises and stretches at home (push ups, planks, crunches...?). Also I'm going to look around for monkey bars to do pull-ups (including different grips and widths), this is London so there's bound to be something suitable nearby.

What I'm missing is a structure, an informed and intelligent way to go about it. Any advice?

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

If you can, find a bucket and fill it with sand, or rocks, or hell even buy some cat litter and you could use that as a DIY kettle-bell. Obviously the handle would kind of suck to work with but hey it's cheaper than an actual kettle-bell right?

Push-ups
    Sit-ups
    Pull-ups
    Squats
    Lat Raises
    Bent Rows
    Lunges
    Planks
    Dips
    Shrugs

There's a big list of stuff you can do at home, most of which is upper-body but it beats nothing.

I just snagged a weight bench from my parents and plan on buying a stationary bike for the house so that way I can do upper-stuff at home and do leg stuff at the gym (half the battle is driving myself in the cold right now)

3. TylerRay

TylerRay LP Addict

Plyometrics-Jumping excercises. Shit will tear up your legs(in a good way)

4. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I "prison lift" in my basement...

Essentially I just emulate a lot of workouts I'd do with a straight (45lb) bar like bench and the like using dumbbells at home on my multi-position bench.

Crunches and pushups are also super good workouts...

But at home I do incline/decline/flat dumbbell press, lawnmower pulls, side bends, and a bunch of other exercises I wish I knew the names of using just dumbbells to keep my strength up on days when I just can't make it to the gym.

When I do crunches it's a combo of a leg lift and a traditional crunch...

I lay out almost completely flat except that I only let my shoulder blades touch and I hover my legs JUST over the ground. Then I do a crunch... Then I lay back out into the original position and the entire set is done that way.

20 - 30 of those HURTS me... :lol:

I try to do about 3 - 5 sets of anything I do at home. Most of the time it's lower resistance than what I do in the gym simply bc I can't afford all those weights. :lol:

5. asher

asher So Did We

Plyos are the shit, and that's only partially because I'm a fencer :lol:

6. Basti

Oh awesome, thanks guys! Is there any particular order in which I should work on different areas?

Also...how important is running/jogging?

7. bcolville

bcolville SS.org Regular

Working out at home is nice and easy. But are there really no affordable gyms over there? You can get a membership here for 10$ a month

8. Basti

No :/ i don't see any real way for me to fund a gym membership at the moment (insanely big prices).

However, i figured there could be advantages to this such as:
    - Less effort (admittedly this may defeat the purpose) BUT this also means that i will be able to exercise more regularly and freely
    - It will begin and end with my own body - this means i'll get to know it better, i can focus on balance, self control, meditation, relaxation...

those are big pluses for me, i mean i believe it could work :)

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

It's good for warming up with since it gets the blood flowing, but for actual weight loss it doesn't do much unless you do a lot of it; same for biking which I do a lot of now (upped from my normal 3 miles to 8.5/10 minutes or so of cardio to a full half-hour).

For weight stuff, generally switch off what you do day-to-day. Same thing every day and your body is going to get used to it and you won't see as much in terms of results. Target specific muscle groups of exercises for routines, then the next day hit the ones you didn't last time. Give some time to rest here and there if you do really big days or find yourself targeting the same group multiple days in a row.

10. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

DIY or not, get a kettle bell. affordable and helps incorporate core workouts and wayyyy better than pushups

11. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time Contributor

I wouldn't normally advocate for Crossfit......... however, their body weight workouts are pretty good.

Of the "classic" Crossfit workouts;

Chelsea:
    5 pull-ups
    10 push-ups
    15 air squats

perform each minute, on the minute, for 30 minutes total

Barbara:
    20 pull-ups
    30 push-ups
    40 sit-ups
    50 squats

5 rounds for time, 3 minutes rest between rounds

Angie:
    100 pull-ups
    100 push-ups
    100 sit-ups
    100 squats

for time

12. Basti

Wow that looks intense, thanks man :cheers: I'll probably end up selecting a good tree for pull-ups :lol: how we don't have an elevated bar that can sustain a man's weight is beyond me

13. kung_fu

kung_fu Vulcan Lute God

I've been working out exclusively with GSP's Rushvit video series lately. I think it's worth looking into, as it combines pushups, situps, planks, squats, isometrics, plyometrics, and most of the standard exercises also mentioned in this thread. With the exercises being rapid-fire, one after the other, it's quite an excellent cardiovascular workout as well. It's mostly bodyweight stuff and dumbbell (max 30 lbs). Supplement this with a home lifting regimen and you've got a pretty decent total body, gym-free workout program.

14. Basti

Thanks man, i'll check that out :D

15. Kidneythief

Kidneythief SS.org Regular

Well if you can't afford a gym-membership you can always try calisthenics workouts I guess.

I recently "jumped the bandwagon" and doing "Convict Conditioning" by Paul Wade. I'm still at the beginning of it, but kinda like it. Never was really a gym-goer type anyway.

Also look up Al Kavadlo, Frank Medrano, and there are some other popular people up around youtube and internet with videos, and books and with tons of information.

16. TylerEstes

TylerEstes Sheeeeeeeit

I lost 70 lbs over the summer/fall and I didn't run once :lol::lol:

I wouldn't say it's important. I just did 3 shitloads of scissor kicks and crunches and stuff.

17. BeforeTheTrial

BeforeTheTrial SS.org Regular

Check out the at home workouts by Beachbody, p90x, insanity, t25, all really good at home work outs.

18. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

A used one as well is a good option. Perhaps even a weight set which you can use for different excersises.

19. dudeskin

dudeskin SS.org Regular

no need for a gym.
    not saying you shouldnt if you can, but i cant and its not stopped me so far.

look up calisthenics, youtube a guy with a channel called "fortress" i think, follow his master the basics and stick to it. thats all youll need.

its fun too.

20. theycallmetc

theycallmetc SS.org Regular

I quit going to the gym because I was getting bored and I wanted to dedicate more time and money to rock climbing (buy new shoes and gear and pay one membership instead of two).

So basically I'm doing mostly bodyweight stuff. Right now I'm making it up as I go, but here's a rough outline of what I'm doing. You might find some parts of it useful.

Two upper body sessions and two lower body sessions per week. I used to do a push pull split at the gym, but I find the upper/lower split to be alright for calisthenics.

Upper body sessions involve lots of bar work, since that has a secondary benefit of working my grip for rock climbing.

Upper body:

Pull ups in all variations and holds (close, shoulder width, wide, frenchies, asymmetric loading), dips (both parallel bar and pull up bar), push ups (diamond, shoulder, wide, Spiderman pushups, Alligator crawls, side to side, incline one arm pushups, assisted handstand pushups and pike push ups).

My goal is basically to work towards muscle ups and one armed pull ups. You can look up Bar Brothers, Barstarz, Hannibal for King, Frank Medrano, etc to get an idea of what you can work towards with just a pullup bar, parallel bars and a LOT of drive.

Core:

Hanging leg raises, hanging knee raises, hanging wipers, crunches, planks, laying leg raises, side planks, laying wipers.

Legs:

Squats, pistol squats, Bulgarian split squats, lunges, calf raises, one leg calf raises, jumping squats, box jump squats, etc.

These days I'm mostly picking 3-4 exercises a session and doing pyramid sets. I can definitely get enough of an upper body workout but I'm having trouble getting a good leg workout without resorting to jumping exercises (which I don't want to abuse because they're hell on your knees), so pistol squats are my best friends right now.

I also jump rope or run twice a week, do yoga once a week and climb 2-3 times a week. I'm not aiming to build mass, I probably eat slightly above maintenance because I don't want to lose weight either (I used to eat at maintenance and box and lost a lot of weight...wasn't happy about that at all).