Guitarists mostly sound the same now?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by eightsixboy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I agree and I meant to touch on that idea with my last little comment, but if you're new to the genre the clean, american football tuning tapping ala TTNG is still a new sound, and there are plenty of fantastic bands like Battles, Tera Melos, Physics House Band, etc. etc. doing something fresh.

If you notice, I didn't really call out Good Game as ground breaking. I wasn't really sure if OP was looking for totally fresh sounding guitarists, or just very technical music that's different sounding than djent so I touched on both even if I prefer the former. I think the important takeaway is that literally any genre gets stale if you go too far down the rabbit hole so just got check out something else when it does.

2. silverabyss

silverabyss

I don't think its fair to lump Chon in with all the other new chill prog bands because they've been doing their own thing since 2009, and didn't have Axe Fx's or standbergs, they had cheap Ibanez's and AC30s

3. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I got you covered. My band is doing an EP. It's all raw guitar tone. I am running a peavey 6505+ with no effects. Nothing. Mics used are a Swedish mod Shure 57 and a classic MD421. RAW IS IT GETS BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

GunpointMetal likes this.
  4. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Songwriting is what really rules, regardless of genre. I find when things get too stale in the heavy music I go back to a lot of Matthew Good and Baroness and the Mars Volta, just reminds me that there's so much more to the music than their just being a sick part.

Also whoever said music needs to be dangerous again nailed it... music is supposed to help fight back against the world, to make you go oh shit I didn't know you could do that, and have your mind blown.

Miss when music felt dangerous.

gienek likes this.
  5. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

Definitely not in the Intervals, Plini, Sithu Aye group of lame axe fx shredders:

To my ears what they do has never been done before in songwriting and on the guitars

6. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Happy 30th.

gienek likes this.
  7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

Masoo2 likes this.
  8. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

So true. The bands doing really interesting stuff right now are pretty much Fallujah, Between the Buried and Me (well, just Parallax 2 really), Scar Symmetry, Gorguts (mainly Colored Sands) and Cynic (Traced in Air/Carbon-Based Anatomy).

I like a few songs from other bands like Tesseract, Veil of Maya, Periphery (if only they got rid of the vocalis...), Meshuggah, AAL, etc. but I'm only going out of my way to listen to the bands I listed above.

Any recommendations apart from those I mentioned?

9. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

Need to pick this album up soon. Their first one was amazing, especially the tracks "Carbon Phrases" and "Orgonism".

10. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I still find myself to be blown away by Rick's cover of Cliffs of Dover.

gienek likes this.
  11. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

I've found it's really hard to have this conversation without sounding like a grumpy old fart (and I'm only 32).

I honestly kind of agree with the OP; when I listen to a new band now, I almost always expect it to be some kind of variation of Periphery's sound. I've found myself in a weird situation where I'm starting to get kind of tired of that sound. Luckily I'm really, really picky about music in general, so I'll just stick with 3 or 4 bands that manage that sound really well. I find myself starting to go back to bands with good layering and melodies, even if the riffing is simpler. This is part of the reason I love the new Sikth album so much; because it is a riff madhouse, but it also has great layering. Very satisfying to listen to.

Unfortunately, my inner old man comes out because I see and hear bands/guitarists coming with these crazy albums and riffs, but all I can think of are the people (especially younger ones) that I've gone to jam with....they could rip out great tap patterns, arpeggios, etc., but you ask them if they want to just do a little quick jam session in G, and they have a completely blank look on their face.

12. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Not to mention their album artworks: most of the time some kind of non-euclidean geometrical shapes into landscapes or astronomical/methereological wallpapers.

Name is usually: The (insert name of a god/goddes of a random pantheon)'s (something).
    Songs title: words from ancient Greek or Latin.

Despite the rant, I honestly find 2 or 3 of this kind of guitarists inspiring.
    The vast majority of them are boring and they seem not to be spontaneous when they play.
    To me it's like they "have" to play that kind of stuff in order to be considered good.

My 2 cents. Long live minor pentatonic scale.

Andrew Lloyd Webber and Avedas like this.
  13. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Yeah everyone's so damn smart these days. Just search Wikipedia for someone like Ludwig Boltzmann (or some other scientific figure/concept you learned about it in your 10th grade science class) and then click a few related links to find a science-y sounding name for your band/album/song/dog etc.

Also this World of Warcraft metal bullshit is beyond hilarious. Every song name sounds like they just ripped off an RPG raid boss name or something. I'd make a joke about the Latin garbage as well but that's been cliched for at least a couple decades at this point and people are still doing it unironically.

Andrew Lloyd Webber likes this.
  14. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

It's true. It doesn't actually destroy me mentally. Ideas have to come from somewhere. Just like kids learn their behaviors from watching what others are doing.

I think it's a kind of cheap when a well known band rips off a nice piece that an unknown was fortunate and talented enough to put together.

Plus I think we're validated if we play something someone has already filed in the "I like this" category.

For most people modeling is going to be the only way they'll ever get a decent sounding representation of their ideas. I know... I know... there's some dude who bought a ten dollar guitar at a garage sale and records through a fostex 4 track and it sounds amazing.

But to me it's inspiring that I can check out an episode of Arnold Plays Guitar and the intro will actually sound good! Can you imagine if he had to do every one of those songs at Criteria? He'd probably never record.

The fact that this thread exists proves people have the dilemma in mind and are considering ways around the obstacle. I would rather hear 10 modeled 5150 TS patches than some crappy mic in front of a crappy practice amp.

15. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Yeah...
    But stuck in a box... just like Yngwie.

All this modern shreddy/progy stuff is very cool,
    but my ears yearn to hear them expand outside
    their comfort zone.

Ancestor likes this.
  16. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

I think what is actually disappointing about Yngwie at the moment is the fact that he's gone from writing songs to basically soloing over everything like it's a backing track. His old songs are awesome. And then the well placed and sized shreddery is like the nuts on the cupcake.

Here we go, where everyone starts hating on me. Before I say this please keep in mind that everyone is allowed to have an opinion and this is well within the first amendment. Let's not start censoring every single comment just because it's strongly stated and we don't agree with it please.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Right?

I feel that this is a reflection of where we are as country speaking for the states and possibly someone can for the global entity and vibe. I can't speak to that. Other guys help me out!

The "music business", which was basically the business of finding talented artists and stealing most of the money generated by their brilliant work, is over. The genie is out of the bottle and we can't put him back in. Nor would I desire it. This has left artists free to make their material instantly available to anyone with an Internet connection. That's a modern day renaissance.

I think as a result of the music vampire coven's demise a lot of dudes who still have careers sort of hone in on what they think people like and then just beat that into the ground rather than take a chance. It seems a reflection of the times in which we live. We're basically kept in a constant state of fear by the "news" media. I see it everywhere. In people's faces, in the way they speak to each other and in the reluctance to take a chance of letting go of whatever money they have.

Yng has a killer studio. He could get a killer young producer and do the Electric Lady thing all over the place.

That's what I'd like to see happen. With everyone. Get presonus and an interface if you can't afford to pay for two months in a studio. Record something that sounds different and upload it. What do you have to lose?

It's taken me 6 years to have the means to do that, but I'm in it now and I'm looking forward to doing some weird and then weirder stuff.

OK. You can start telling what an idiot I am now and how that can never work.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    shadowlife likes this.
  17. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I honestly feel like a lot of the time on this site, and I'm not berating anyone for it, but people are seemingly always looking for more clarity and all of that as has been said before. It's almost like over the last few years, people have gotten more obsessed with making the mids more vibrant, the low end as tight as it can be with smooth highs. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but it feels like the sounds of the past get left behind.

I posted the other day in the unpopular opinion thread about getting a Peavey Bandit which was an example of the tone bands used to use for albums. The exact Peavey, no, but same general idea. I posted that in the unpopular opinion thread because I felt that going after that sort of guttural tone -which seems to be deemed "bad" by nearly everyone here- was pretty unpopular. If there's one thing I've learned it's that people are always trying to push boundaries in music which again, isn't a bad thing. But pretty quickly, we've gotten to 8, 9, and 10 string guitars, MOAR mids, BKP's, Fishman Fluence, and digital modelers forever trying to capture the true essence of tube amps.

My question is, where else will you look? Add another string? Tune even lower? Find even tighter pickups? Come out with AxeFx 3 or the Line Helix 2020? I'm sorry, but I honestly feel as though this is a rut in metal music that has only been reinforced by many of those complaining about it now since a lot of the components for creating music just so happen to be the ones utilized in making that kind of music.

Sorry if I offended anyone or if I'm completely off the mark. I'm going to go plug into my 6505+ with my Epiphone Goldtop loaded with Black Winters. I'm turning the bass up, the mids down a little bit to 3-4 and I'm going to get my grime and grind on.

Almost forgot to mention, I'm using a TS-9. :)

Vyn likes this.
  18. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Giving its context, almost everything makes sense.
    "Bad" things expecially in gear/music don't exist, otherwise all the world would have the same amp: it's just a matter of personal tastes.

If you play a 10 string guitar you probably want to turn the bass down, add some mids and have some pickups with a lot of clarity. If you do the opposite (more low end, less mids, "muddy"pickups), you obtain onother sound which isn't "bad" per se but just different: you may like the first one or the second.

If you use many amps and your band tours a lot or you simply want a lot of amps and effects in a small unit, then an axefx or helix does make sense.

The Peavey Bandit has, as far as I remember, has "Marshall" tone but kinda scooped expecially with the highest gain settings. If you like it and you want to recreate the sound of certain bands, go for it!

couverdure likes this.
  19. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Yeah I definitely still use a peavey for my practice amp.

The Studio Pro. It gets heavy enough for me. All the palm muting and harmonics come out great. And I've had it for 19 years. The only problem I ever had was the high gain jack stopped working, which I think this guy that I was stupid enough let play my gear broke. And so I just move over one input to the right and there is the same great sound.

[​IMG]

I've played through bandits. I'll tell you man, American made. Those things are unkillable. Peavey makes a great product.

20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, you just turn the gain knob down a bit and it'll be the same tone. It'd be worse if the other input broke, IMO.