Guitarists mostly sound the same now?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by eightsixboy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

It's all about trends... and headless+tapping is visually impressive.
    Thanks to social media a lot of young artists are being known, what I find perfect. You can choose whatever you want. I don't need to listen to the same genre two days in a row.
    Just start with a video and let the autoplay flow, you will find very good artists. Or check "old" artists and you will see how they have evolved.

Of course there are a lot of clones out there, but the huge catalog internet offers you is amazing. I am sorry, but I love this music era. Maybe artists complaint about how sh*** money they get or how many hours they need to spend to be visible in this oversaturated merch, but as a consumer of music, I get more than I can manage. I support the artist I like attending their concerts and buying their merchandising or just digital stuff, what 10 years ago I would never have done, I wanted the physical element.

couverdure likes this.
  2. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

+1000

This right here. As much as I love the sound of a boosted PV 5150/6505.... it’s been entirely too played out and overdone to death. Stop. Stop it now. Turn off the AxeFx... close the amp sim plug in window... find a decent tube amp with a cab and craft your own tone. Please.

3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Thinking about a 5150/6505 with a boost in front of it - Are they decent tube amps? I hear whatshisname records with it; and I want to use the same decent tube amps and cabs he does. He’s pretty much my main influence.

Paul McAleer likes this.
  4. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

There's an issue here. Not much else is being peddled in the way of an alternative. The difference between a Duel Rec, 5150, Satan and other high-gain amps on the vast majority of songs I've at least been checking out (can even point to Caliban's latest number here) seem interchangeable. The problem? Mids. One might sound a tiny bit deeper, you can probably just blame the bass tone for it, but when even the latest Death Metal albums are chasing Ola Englund's crunchy tone, there's a clear race to meet a certain standard. How is this a problem you may ask? Its an image brought on by us lot. The amount of "their tone is off" comments you can find on this forum alone (see HAARP Machine, At the Gates and Meshuggah threads for examples) is a reflection of comments on social media too. I see them fairly often on YouTube and Facebook comments.

I'd be happy going back to the scooped days of the 90's, but metal in particular has gone on to require tones that reveal the notes more. Tell me, how many of you see these words in relation to a good tone nowadays:

1) Clarity
    2) Bite
    3) Attack

These often feel interchangeable with other, less used recently, examples like "purrr" or "snarl".

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

You don't need a tube amp to craft an original tone. That's just nonsense.
    But I agree, the Fluence-into-compressor-into-hi-fi-clean-amp-butterfly-glitch-tap-that-one-jazzy-chord-you-know thing is getting pretty old. Also getting burned out on all the "Safe" prog like the CHON/Polyphia/Plini/Sithu Aye clones. Somebody make some freakin dangerous music!

MerlinTKD likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Of course the differences between amps are going to be negated when everyone is striving for the same produced sound. I think it's a lot of the reason for when people get burned out on metal and heavier music and have to listen to other things for a while. The same humbuckers through mid-to-high-gain with a boost through v30s micd with a 57, double tracked and hi passed on top of sample replaced dry drums and gritty bass gets tiring. The same as the youtube/bedroom sound of AxeFX 5150 models played over midi bass and superior drummer gets tiring after a while.

I get pretty excited whenever someone posts here with original stuff that includes real drums, or unique amps or production styles that aren't the traditional "modern metal" sound. At the same time, there's nothing stopping anyone from just listening to something else for a while.

I find it funny though that the opposite thing kind of happens too though. Whenever a "metal" band strays too far from the formula, they get pretty torn apart for it - just look at Opeth's last release. It's super raw, bassy, analog, warm, etc. Super far from the shiny production of previous releases, and I really appreciated that. Buuuuuuuuut people hated it. Someone in a position of influence in metal circles finally put out something produced with a significantly unique sound and they got torn a new one for it. Oh well.

7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I do agree with the internet making music extremely saturated allowing anyone and everyone getting exposure and hearing too much of similar or the same thing. Sure it's no different than it was per every zeitgeist shift per decade. It's just a lot more pronounced now the rite of passage to exposure is gone and anyone can famous for a few minutes.

However, I'm a firm believer that the songs are what make the musician. Even if you're heavily influenced by your favorite artist, put your own spin to it with your own music and you'll stand out. I remember talking to the guys at the music store I haunt about the same thing. One of them said how the whole horde of Intervals/Dave Maxim Micic clones are all sounding so indistinguishable that even can't tell the difference between the original guys and the clones. Same with the math core instrumental odd time tapping stuff. The songs are written so similarity it's almost a singularity. Either that, or I've been hearing them too much. Nick Johnston is interesting because he's so different to all his touring peers, and while a dazzling player, his songs are memorable.

Despite being weary of djent, I love the guys at G5 Project, GOD Guitarists On Demand. Because even the djent heavy guys know that a great melody, a well written song, or both, are above the technical pyrotechnics. And they sound different to each other thanks to their composing style.

My favorite of the bunch by far is A2C. Simply because he has the best crafted songs of the bunch, and most memorable melodies and even solos, that transcend the instrument making you hum them for days.

He's my favorite guitar player by far for this decade. I've ripped him of so heavily. :lol:

I would like to think that I have my own voice and style, even with the over saturation, even in the vast sea of many other like minded instrumental guitarists. But of course that's not for me to decide. I did get a cool review out of it, so that's nice.

MerlinTKD, couverdure and Masoo2 like this.
  8. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

It's too bad that Intervals did do one album with a vocalist that was fresh and awesome. Great guitar, all good clean vox... then they ditched the vocalist and, overnight, became as generic as generic can be. If vanilla white bread was music, it'd be Intervals/Plini/Chon/whoever else is playing that interchangeable garbage.

I saw them and Plini at a concert and I couldn't even tell which band was playing which is partly because I wasn't a fan of Plini ever, or Intervals since they ditched Mike, but also because they both put on a terrible show and didn't talk to the crowd. Which is the next problem.. all these guys play their whole shows and do their mime-a-long playthrough videos with their chins tucked down into their necks, looking at their hands the whole time. Try for a stage presence, maybe?

It was pretty crazy though, I thought djent couldn't get any more boring, derivative and repetitive and these guys have all proven me very wrong. I remember seeing Scale the Summit almost 10 years ago by accident, and thinking they were going to be an opening band forever.. never would have guessed they would spawn so many imitators

9. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I also liked Interval’s record with Mike, then Aaron Marshall basically made Intervals his solo project and The Shape of Colour was okay, there’s two, maybe three songs I like on there. His new one though, The Way Forward, does absolutely nothing for me. I’ve listened to it a handful of times and all the songs sound sooo similar, almost like more interesting elevator music. The guy can play but I liked the band as a whole when Mike and Anup were in it.

10. GunpointMetal

At least (now anyways, or the last tour I saw) StS does have some stage presence.

11. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Nice to see some GOD/G5 love in here. They are seriously amazing guitarists and the majority of them are excellent players AND writers. The only one I'm not a huge fan of is Seku but that's moreso my tastes than his writing/playing.

12. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Part of the problem is one guy comes out and does something just a little different, and immediately a dozen imitators hit the Youtubes and whatever to the point where it becomes stale before it even gets popular. I mean that's always happened, but now thanks to the internet it gets accelerated so fast it's hard to tell who did what first. I always assumed Plini was the first one to do his kind of music, but then I heard of Chon and the other ones mentioned in this thread and now I don't even know. I still think he does it best, but the problem definitely exists and there doesn't seem to be a good way to counteract that.

It's not just music, either, even smaller video game companies are having their games cloned before they're even released.

Also, with so many people that sound similar, the bar of how different you have to sound to stand out has been raised monumentally higher. Every genre already exists mashed up with every other one in a dozen permutations, you have to be that much more original to stand out.

AxeHappy and couverdure like this.
  13. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I think the internet has streamlined a lot of cookie cutter hive mentality to approaching the instrument.
    There was something to be said about learning few chords and then crafting your chops in isolation.

Stilicho and Eptaceros like this.
  14. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Nick is amazing but I dont think he just popped out all of a sudden.

He has 4 records and he started getting his momentum right before last album came out. He "exploded" with the last recordthats for sure, not only because of the Music but because intelligently he made videos for all songs (or almost). That alone gave him a leverage of presence none of the other have.I found him by watching YT videos and clicking to listen to new people, loved what i heard and kept digging and kept loving more and more, got hooked first day.

Nick is known for playing this super cool tunes, Tom for doing Demos on YT and Rick for showing us this super super difficult things that he makes it look anyone can do without any effort :p

Also Nick has a "unique" style of playing, he doesn't shred (in the literal sense) and the songs always have something.

Tom and Rick are MONSTERS players, especially Rick... but... it seems I heard all that before. Its amazing for sure and he is probably the most technical talented of the 3, but to me Nick that seems the simplest one is also the one that captivates me.

Now regarding the main question of the OP... How many of you that play for real consider yourselves unique in what you do? Curious question.

15. GunpointMetal

I suck in my own special way.

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That was my first thought too. I think djent has gotten incredibly homogeneous and derivative, and really always kind of struck me as a lot of guys trying to sound like bulb even fairly early on, but I think there's a wide range of guitar music still being made.

This:

...sounds nothing like this:

And that's cool, because they both kick ass in their own way. :metal:

MerlinTKD and blacai like this.
  17. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

i started noticing a similar thing with grind bands using hm2s about a year ago and now i end up just closing the tab whenever i hear an hm2

though i guess thats the same point as the whole everyone using the same boosted 5150 thing just my example is more niche

18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

There's a G5 Project thread here and I started the GOD thread so plenty of love from me. :D

At first I thought so as well when GOD 2 came out but I've warmed up to Skyphobia nowadays. And oddly enough, with GOD 3 (not GOD 111) just coming out and more new guys on board, I thought Seku was the best of the djent bunch.

19. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I think you may have hit a certain nail on the head there, JP. If one spends a lot of time on youtube and social media, a lot of the guitar you hear isn't actually songs of actual bands, it's promotional guitar noodling as a means to demo/sell/promote a product or someone's youtube channel. It's exaggeratedly guitar-centric and designed to be instant gratification for someone looking for a bitchin' solo, or wants to know what a Helix sounds like, but that's about it. If one's frame of reference for cool, new guitar playing is only constricted to these youtube guys rather than actual records being released, then naturally it's all gonna sound a bit stale and samey. Now that I think about it, none of my favourite guitar players' greatness can be summed up by sharing a short video clip, I just love their records and learned to love their guitar playing because of it.

20. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

I listen to a lot of stoner rock where riffs and pentatonic solos still rule, when I first joined this site I was really into shred and death metal, but I think that anyone with enough determination can sit down and learn to play Perpetual Burn. But writing a great piece of music and being technically impressive are two completely different things. I've been listening to a lot of classical music, and the way that composers like Mozart and Bach write their music, how the songs are constantly flowing and changing yet they may also be hovering around a central theme, all the nuances of really good writing and arranging are really what I get off on these days.

Shred is dead, in my opinion.