Guitar vs Helix LT

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by BigBossAF, Dec 3, 2017.

1. BigBossAF

BigBossAF SS.org Regular

Hello guys,

In need of advice here! I was saving up for a PRS SE Holcomb sig, but this week I found an awesome second hand Helix LT (used for like 3 months) and with a nice price tag!

I'm dwelling in indecision. I'm currently playing on a Strat like chinese guitar that came in a starter pack (my Jackson RR is back at my parents house) trough a ME-25 from Boss at college. The strat doesn't play half bad (the neck is very confortable, but scale is shorter than I'd like and doesn't have humbuckers (pickups are plastic single coil garbage).

So I'm kinda in between the classic question cheap guitar/good amp modeler vs good guitar/cheap amp modeler

What would you guys do, if you were in my shoes?

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Cheap guitar/good amp modeler>good guitar/cheap amp modeler.

Long as you can set up the cheap guitar well enough to play well, no reason to not grab the Helix.

PBGas likes this.
  3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I have no idea, use Cardboard Box perhaps?

BigBossAF likes this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Normally I'd agree here, but given the drastic upgrade of guitar... Un-branded S-S-S strat to high-end mid-priced guitar... I'd say go for the guitar instead.

Masoo2 and crankyrayhanky like this.
  5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I played through shit amps for years instead of investing in a better set up (primarily due to moving/life).

When I could finally upgrade to a new amp it was like night and day. $0.02

6. NickS

NickS Carvinite

I'd say go with the Helix, as long as your current guitar plays well enough to get along with.

7. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

Full disclosure, I'm biased towards the helix because I own one.

But I'd go with the helix and then do a pup swap on your current guitar to hold you over until you can get a new one.

8. capac

capac SS.org Regular

I own helix, but I'd say go with the guitar first. Even with helix, your guitar is gonna sound like ass.

Masoo2 likes this.
  9. BigBossAF

BigBossAF SS.org Regular

I regretfully took more than 5 seconds to understand this. If I could I'd just go Cardboard Box'in and get all the gear I've ever wanted xD

Thanks everyone for their input on the matter, I'm a really indecise person and even more when money is in question, so input is always nice.
    With that said, let me just add a bit more context to the dilemma, I've GASing for the PRS for months and the guitar features are quite what I'd want from a guitar at this point, and I'm afraid model might get discontinued down the line before I get the chance to get it. (plus having a nice guitar is more motivation to pick it up)
    There's a fairly bigger chance the LT will stay in the market for longer and price might fall, but I'm also afraid of letting a good deal go. (Plus ME-25 just doesn't do it for me in terms of more overdriven tones, it just loses a bit of definition and it either goes deafening sharp or very muddy, I manage to get it somehow usable since I've been only playing at home)

Seems I have decisions to make t.t

10. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I say go for the guitar- it's the more practical upgrade considering that the guitar you have right now is not the configuration you want and the Boss effects unit- while likely not perfect- is probably the more 'live-able' part of your current rig.

11. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Helix! It does so much and then some! I’ve had my rack since last June and i still love using it. It has been far better than the other units I have owned in the past.