Guitar student of mine wants to learn some Dream Theater... suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HumanFuseBen, Jul 22, 2009.

1. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

I have a student who has taken lessons from me for a while. he's a pretty solid player! he could use a little more attention to accuracy and precision, but he's got a solid repertoire of techniques going.

anyway, he told me he'd like to learn some Dream Theater to boost his chops. i'm not a huge DT fan (anymore, i used to LOVE them), but i dig Petrucci's playing. plus, as a teacher, i would MUCH rather work on this stuff than some Job for a Cowboy bullshit hahaha

i think he could play most all the riffs, but probably not any of his REALLY intense solos. the more chill melodic ones, i'm sure he could do, but no Glass Prison arpeggios or anything like that.

so far i was thinking of Pull Me Under, Home, and maybe Overture 1812 (or whatever.... 1st instrumental on SFaM). any other ideas?

oh, and p.s., he plays a 6 string, although he plans on making the right choice and buying a 7 this summer!

2. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

Octavarium solo.
    Long, big phrasing, slow for the most part, but with some pretty fasst picking as well.

3. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

"Lie" - dead easy for the most part, If I remember there is some crazyness at the end, but the end of the song is just a big open progression that is ripe for some improv. Once he gets his 7 of course, it will be a nice incentive for him to buy one ;)

4. willybman

willybman Willard

yeah, pull me under is great, my teacher taught it to me when i was taking lessons.

5. TimSE

TimSE SS Contributor

the count of tuscany from Black clouds and silver linings is a wicked tune and very do-able for someone whos just getting into dream theater - playing wise that it

other than that LIE is a wicked tune

6. shaneroo

shaneroo Oh, herrrrro......

main solo break down for erotomania.... i still teach that one....... mainly the lick in 5's.
    great for timing, and for intense playing.....
    hell, the whole song is a winner to me.
    and definitely for the alternate picking..... the ending to this dying soul.

7. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

Scarred and voices have good solo's, it will help with his wah-control also.

8. Fionn

Fionn SS.org Regular

as i am (train of thought), tis a bit intense but something to aim for? you say petrucci, why not try some stuff of his solo record like Glasgow Kiss or Jaws Of Life, some serious stuff there, as well as simpler melodies.

+1 for Erotomania, such an awesome tune!!!

9. vontetzianos

vontetzianos SS.org Regular

The solo from Another Day is another awesome one to work one. The one alternate picking lick is a little intense and is something to work towards, but the rest is very melodic and challenging.

If he's getting into Dream Theater, maybe a few Liquid Tension Experiment songs will be cool to work on as well. The first that comes to mind is Biaxident, as it's really not that difficult to play and is an awesome song overall.

10. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............

On top of what's been mentioned, how about the following...

'Another Day': A good one for both rhythm and lead, and the solo would be a good primer for some of Petrucci's more intense stuff.

'Surrounded': As above, and if he's into extreme delay effects (like me!:)) the solo is an absolute blast!

'The Silent Man': This is a great exercise in acoustic rhythm playing, and it means he'll always have a song tailor made for open-mic nights in his repetoire (I used to play this one with a female friend back in school, with her singing and me playing guitar).

11. Luuk

Luuk New Member

Beyond this life.. awesome song, clean and distortion parts.. and pretty hard solo.

12. HumanFuseBen

awesome suggestions so far! keep em coming, thanks a lot!

13. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

I'm surprised no oe has suggested this yet: :lol:

[youtubevid]evTTHS9hwvU[/youtubevid]

But yeah, "Another Day" is not such a hard song and it's great for both rhythm and lead. :yesway:

14. Severance

Severance The Cockhammer

Fatal Tragedy is the first I learn and i learn it front to back at like a 1 and a half.

15. Crometeef

Crometeef SS.org Regular

i've always been a fan of the overture solos. i started on them years ago and it's still challenging to this day haha. man i need to practice more. trolling forums and youtube has totally owned my practice sessions!

16. Bleak

Bleak SS.org Regular

If you're looking for something rewarding, but not overly challenging, check out his solo for "Wither"
    A great solo, and one of his easier ones. Good luck!

17. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

Damage Control and Curve off of JP's solo album. Those are sick.:hbang:

18. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

+1 to those

another day
    Wither
    Forsaken

19. Nazca

Nazca SS.org Regular

I'm suprised noone's mentioned Under a Glass Moon. Very fun song to learn and play.

There's so much awesome stuff in the John Petrucci repertoire. The list would be too long.

Check out LTE, his solo album, Explorer's Club. He's got some pretty cool stuff on Rock Discipline.

20. HumanFuseBen

oh yeah man, glass moon is awesome! good idea...