Guitar sounds like static garbage (Possible input jack problem?)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Kullerbytta, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Kullerbytta

Kullerbytta Newborn

Hi everyone,

So I've been having some technical problems with my Ibanez RG1451 model recently.
    I bought it second hand 3 years ago and I've not had any problems prior to these past couple of weeks.
    The problem is that whatever I plug it into (I'm using a Axe FX Ultra exclusively, but I've tried amps as well) it's making this muddy, static noise when I play. Mostly when palm muting and mostly more prominent when using distortion but it's there as well when I use crystal clean tones.
    I can't play or record with it, it sounds terrible.
    So I've been trying to troubleshoot myself before deciding to make this post and in several instances people have said it's a soldering issue with the input jack.
    Now I've never done any soldering and never done any tech-related fidgeting with my guitars because there hasn't been a need for it, as of such I don't know if there's something wrong with the wiring by just looking at it.

I'm attaching some images and a sound sample:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/om5sm7mktq2fi40/Input Jack Problem.wav?dl=0
    The first part of this clip is the RG1451 and I'm switching between the 5 pickup positions. The second half is my RGA7 using the same patch. (tone is a turd, I know, but it's purely for the intent of showcasing the problem)

Do you guys have any idea about what the problem might be? Because apart from reading it -might- be the input jack I have no clue myself.

Thank you in advance and I apologize if my formatting is bad, I'm not too much of a messageboard-poster.

2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Weird noise!

Since you plugged in a different guitar and it sounds normal with that, that rules out your cable and amp.

Is it the same noise on all pickups?

Does it change if you roll the volume and tone knobs around?

My first thought is it could be a dirty jack or pot, if you can get ahold of some electrical contact cleaner, open the back cavity, and spray some into the pots, and then roll them back and fourth. Also spray some on a jack, and plug it in and out of the input jack.

Deoxit is often a recommended contact cleaner but I can’t find it at a reasonable price in Europe. WD40 makes an electrical contact cleaner that I use. DO NOT use normal WD40, only contract cleaner.

If that doesn’t fix it, I’d start wiggling wires around in the cavity and see if any pop off. A cold solder joint might look fine, but pop off if you move it. Take a picture with your phone first, so you know where the wires go.