Guitar Purchase gone awry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by stuh84, Dec 4, 2004.

1. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

This is for a friend of mine, and a warning to anyone in the UK or elsewhere who will be purchasing from Sound Control.

He purchased a Schecter C1 6 months ago, and they ordered it cos they didn't have the one he wanted in stock.

Months later it turned out they couldn't get it in stock, so they offered him anything in the store with no VAT and at trade price up to the value of his guitar. Again, he chose another Schecter, and they didn't seem to be able to get this in either.

Here comes the fun part, he asked about the trade price on a Jackson SLSMG, and was told £100 under the asking price (£700 trade price). He phoned up another local store, and they said the trade price is £480, which begs the question, why is a chain of stores unable to get an SLSMG for the price a little local store can, and whats the £220 difference all about?

Also, the finance on it (12 months interest free) has been voided due to him not getting the goods he wanted, through no fault of his own, yet the store refuses to change it back to 12 months.

Here's his basic thoughts on the matter....
    "now look here, as i am dissatisfied with the fact you have not provided me with the goods i asked for, i am legally entitled to sue you. what doesnt help is the fact you're bullsh*tting me over the price of this jackson, cos my tiny local shop can get them for 480, and i fail to believe that a major chain such as yourselves pays a higher price per guitar than they do"

As a side note, does anyone here have info on percentages places add onto trade prices to get in store prices?

2. Vegetta

Vegetta SS.org Regular

Im not sure about prices in rhe UK. In the US I can usually get gears Cheaper from smaller stores....typically at around a 50% drop from the list price...

3. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

This is true.
    Smaller store leave more room to haggle on price also.

4. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

It varies from store to store. It also depends on the company the guitar is and how much it sells for. GEnerally they give you around half of what they'll sell it for, give or take.
    For example: we just got a acoustic jay turser at my store. We gave the guy 80$ for it, we're selling it for 149$.

5. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

I hate to say it, but if you know how to play the game, you can really get stuff from Guitar Center dirt cheap.

There is almost nothing in their inventory that they cant negotiate price wise.(mesa boogie being one the few exceptions).

I hastled a salesman a year ago for 40 minutes about a Marshall1960a 4x12 cab, and got him to sell it to me at 15 dollars above their cost

It gets even better, because after all was said and done and I paid, it turns out they only had a floor model, which I refused to take, so they had to ship me one, which definitely cost them more than 15 dollars.

Smaller shops would never let a stupid mistake like that slide, unless they were just begging to go out of business.

One thing the smaller shops definitely win on is better people all arround. Friendlier and more and more knowledgeable (some ass hat at guitar center the other day told me tube and valve amps are different things). Also if you want the more botique or exotic stuff, then smaller shops are always your best bet.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah... If you know what you're doing, large chains are like a toy store. If you don't, it's their loss as much as yours, sometimes.

I remember I bought my first Mesa at a Falcetti's Music in Springfield, a mid-sized Massachusetts chain. I was debating between a Rocket-44 and a Nomad-45 1x12 (these days, I'm playing a 2x12, if that tells you anything about how the rest of this one's gonna end up... ;)), and I couldn't quite decide. The Nomad had a lot going for it, three channels, solo boost, and a lot of tonal options. The Rocket was simpler, but sounded damned good- more Mark-IV like than anything I was getting out of the Nomad, which was a little harsher in the highs than I was happy with. Eventually, I bought the Rocket.

In doing so, I TOTALLY forgot about the backpanel switches on the Nomad, which in retrospect would have been a huge selling point, and probably would have helped me nail a tone I liked. I also had never played an amp with a presence control, and had I known what I know now, I could have dialed up a killer tone from the Nomad in about 45 seconds.

Had I had a salesperson who had come over and said, "Well, what is it about this one you're responding to, and what about it do you not like, and how about the other one?" and then spent about five minutes helping me dial in a tone to compensate for the slightly gainy buzziness, I'd have been SUCH an easy sell on the extra $100 for the Nomad (as it turns out, they'd accidentally priced it $100 too low, which'd have been a nice perk, too ;))

Honestly, people like me should work in guitar stores. You give me a kid, a price range, and his description of what he likes about a few of his favorite players' tones, and I'll have a setup perfect for him in like 20 minutes, signed sealed and delivered.

-D

7. aldog1330

aldog1330 I like beer

Thats the problem - most of the bigger stores hire kids who are clueless. My local GC actually isn't bad - they have some older and more intelligent folks working there. Hell, the salesman who hooked me up with the SLSMG knocked $60 bucks off it without myself even breaking a sweat. But I'd buy from a salesman who was like what Drew described any day over a jackass one just trying to make a sale, hell, even over buying online too. Friendliness and helpfulness are worth a few extra bucks - those types of people put a smile on my face when I get to deal with them.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, the guy I bought my current Nomad off was great- bonded over Tony Macalpine's "Maximum Security" album. Apparently he hadn't run into anyone else in that store who'd even heard of that disc in years. I might have been able to talk him down further than I did, but I got the amp for slightly better than I walked into the place prepared to pay, so I was happy.

-D

9. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

im only 19 and even i can't stand almost anybody that works at GC that isnt 30 or over. i was testing out an rg7420 the other day for a friend and i asked some guy a bar for an ibanez trs trem... hes like "i dont know which one that is" i was like "it pops in, and u have about 20 guitars over there that have one".... what do they expect to give the customers who got a guitar with a trem? one thing i really dont like about this retro craze and garage rock thing everyone's going through is that if its not a les paul... they know nothing about it!