Guitar Pro 7.5, opinions?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Velokki, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Hey guys,

I've been operating Guitar Pro 6 for ages. It's a great piece of software to compose stuff in.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 7.5.

How have you liked the 7.5, compared to 6? Is it very buggy, is there anything super annoying compared to 6?
    Do you love it, if so, why?

Thanks for any input. Basically I'd want a more stable software - GP6 crashes every now and then, and I'm hoping the 7.5. will be more stable. Improvement in features is of course also a plus, but mainly it's about just being a reliable composition tool.

2. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

I upgraded to 7 at the behest of my guitar teacher (most of the files he sends me require 7.. or 7.5, w/e were at now). It's been a giant pile of shit to be honest. If I do anything else on my desktop and and leave the file open it will freeze and I'll have to restart. Hopefully other users have had a better experience.

Velokki likes this.
  3. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

I've used GP7 since it was released. Really nice. No issues at all and no crashing/bugs so far. No idea about the RSE for I never use them.

Velokki likes this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Much more usable than 5.X that I upgraded from. That’s about it, I mostly use it for tabs from the internet not writing so can’t comment.

5. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

This is my fear exactly. I heard from a lot of users that 7 is a steaming pile of bugs. Hoped 7.5 fixed those problems.

Keep the opinions/experiences coming.

6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I just bought the upgrade last weekend and installed 7.5 on my Windows 7 machine. So far, it crashes on launch. Apparently this is a know issue, as there is a procedure Arobas recommends to update the audio drivers on a Windows machine after installation of GP7, but it has not worked for me yet (though I've been busy and haven't fucked with it much). Fortunately, it installs alongside GP6 and my GP6 still works, but hopefully I'll have enough time to get it sorted this weekend.

Velokki likes this.
  7. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I just can't accept that a company has 8 years to develop a new piece of software, and yet after dozens of updates it still fails to work on even the most basic setups. Unforgivable.

I'm a firm believer in that if a certain group of people behave in a certain way, they will continue to do so in the future. In this case, if Arobas music is the same kind of company as it was historically, the software will continue to be a buggy piece of mess. You see this all the time with games, for example Bethesda games will always be Bethesda games, and Rockstar games will always be Rockstar games (not implying they are bad, they just are always developed the same style). I have little faith in Guitar Pro working properly, which is why I've been very hesitant towards upgrading to 7.5.

Maybe after 2 years they've ironed out most of the bugs, and the software will be semi-usable. Maybe.

8. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Guitar Pro 7.5 rock solid for me on Mac (older Mac 2013 model, running OS X Mojave)

I've been using GP7 since it came out, and been updating every time they push an update. No problems whatsoever with any versions. No crashes. It opens any file from ultimate-guitar.

I didn't bother installing the RSE. I just use MIDI. Maybe that's the source of some problems?

9. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Sounds like they develop GP primarily for Mac, and then just do a sketchy port to Windows.

Anymore Windows users with experiences?

10. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

Why don't you just try it out for yourself? There's a trial version available.

The most crashing version in my years of use has been 5.2. The v6 had some really annoying stuff going on (like unable to export tied notes as MIDI) but it was quite realible. The v7/7.5 is working just fine on my Win10 PC. No issues like what's described here that it freezes while doing something else etc. Usually the files I create have 4-10 tracks and I view them in multitrack view usually.

I usually use the integrated audio driver with GP and listen through a tv which works as my monitor. Then, when doing recordings, I switch on my audio interface, open up the DAW and open up the GP for I'm too lazy to learn the songs :D

Velokki likes this.
  11. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Works fine over here

12. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Right. Honestly, I expected it to upgrade on top of 6. Good to know I can have both! I'll try it soon.

13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Just to provide an update, I tried the uninstall the drivers routine over the weekend and it worked this time (I must have missed one the first time). So far GP7 seems a bit snappier, but I haven't spent much time with it yet. GP6 and GP7 are both installed and happily coexisting.