Guitar Plugin Settings

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DropTheSun, Nov 26, 2018.

1. DropTheSun

DropTheSun SS.org Regular

hi,
    What audiosettings you guys run with your guitar plugins? Could you share your setup and latency info?

I have Fortin Nameless plugin and usually set it 48kHz for Sample Rate and Buffer Size to 32. This gives me 0,7sec latency.

I can run it at higher Sample rate as well, but can't really hear any difference in quality. And my DAW projects run at 48kHz, so i think it is wise to set the fortin Plugin to 48kHz as well?

My computer is Macbook Pro 15" 2015 16Gb RAM, i7 and I use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audiointerface.

2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

That will most likely be 0.7 sec for the actual plugin. You can see the roundtrip latency in the Logic audio settings. Really anything below 10ms isn't noticeable (equivalent to standing a few meters away from your amp). Once you start adding stuff to the session (multiple guitar tracks, sampled drums etc), you're likely going to have to increase the buffer size from 32.

Generally yes, you should match the plugin sample rate with your DAW projects. It avoids problems which might occur when bouncing down etc.

You can also check out this video for sample rate comparisons in general:

DropTheSun likes this.
  3. DropTheSun

Thanks!

One thing i have noticed with my macbook is, that if I have a plugin window open or I scroll the web, I might get pop&clicks every once in a while. Clearly it happens when some graphic is going on on the screen.

Any glue what causes this?

4. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Are you using Logic? There should be a low latency mode you can enable.

I use Studio One and I just use the low latency mode that way I don't have to worry about switching my buffer and can mix and record at the same time no problem.

I would also just stick to 44.1khz for the sample rate.

DropTheSun likes this.
  5. DropTheSun

I use reaper and my computer should have plenty of juice. I'm wondering if i have missed some settings...

6. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

It's the buffer setting. You get pops and clicks when the CPU can't quite handle everything. If you increase the buffer from 32 to 64, it will go away - but latency will increase.

Best approach is to close every app that you aren't using. If you've got a bunch of Chrome tabs open or whatever, it's going to definitely steal away CPU and cause pops/clicks/stutters.

And ewww, why are you using Reaper on a Mac? Logic is FAR better, optimised, faster, sexier (IMHO). Hell, if you're just jamming guitar plugins, use Garageband (free).

7. DropTheSun

Thanks!

Reaper is cheap and powerful DAW. Not intuitive or pretty, that's for sure. I just don't want to put over 200 bucks to a DAW. Maybe some day.