Guitar Player Question - Number of Instruments

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Saieph, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Saieph

Saieph *_Cowbra_*

So, I was thinking...I have always been at odds when owning more than one guitar at a time. I know its kind of the heavy metal 'standard' to own tons of guitars, but for me, between the costs and the aforementioned uneasiness, owning more than one guitar at a time has always been odd. I am currently playing a Fender Tele with a DiMarzio X2N bridge, and a Dean Vendetta VNXM 7 string. I had only owned a single Ibanez, then traded up to a better one, then bought the Dean, then traded the Ibby for the Tele. I'm starting to have the urge to consolidate my guitars and my existing amp for one single very nice 7 string.

My questions: are there other 'lone ranger' guitarists out there? If you have more than one, do you favor one over the other, and if so, why would you NOT consolidate your equipment? Am I odd for wanting to find the one instrument that inspires me? What is the impetus for purchasing so many guitars?

Thank you all, and I look forward to your answers!!!

2. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

I only have two at the moment. Sold all my others because of my RG2120xvv. I also have two basses, an oud, and a ukelele and my drums. plenty to keep me busy and entertained.

Saieph likes this.
  3. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I have 6 at the moment the 2 that get the most play time is my Ibanez 7 and my ibanez gsz120. I don't really play the the others but its not because they are bad guitars, I just don't gel with them like I do the others.

Saieph likes this.
  4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I'm trying to downsize to 2-3. Im at 7 or 8 atm.

Saieph likes this.
  5. Saieph

Saieph *_Cowbra_*

So, why keep all the crap around??? Sounds to me like some guys have maybe one or two instruments they dig, and then a ton that could easily add up to at least one custom piece if sold...are guitarists natural packrats? Don't get me wrong, I think in general there is probably a guitar for every musical occasion, and I love having a six and a seven to play on, but I get a creepy feeling having more than one...I guess especially since I feel that my sweet spot axe is still out there waiting for me...

6. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

I have 1 that i play and the parts to put together a couple 6's.

The only reason i would consider another mij ibby 7 is to fulfill my want for different tunings.

Until you really have the financial situation to own insane amounts of nice gear, get the best you can find in your price range.

Saieph likes this.
  7. OttoMcintyre

OttoMcintyre SS.org Regular

I only have two at the moment.[​IMG]

Saieph likes this.
  8. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I think it depends on each person, some people play in different tuning, play in multiple bands, etc...

Im downsizing for the reason you listed though, switching out to all high end stuff. Just waiting on a vik and I have an o.a.f on route.

9. Saieph

Saieph *_Cowbra_*

Viks look really nice. I'm holding out for the Parker 7...yup...in my dreams. Until then I'm gonna hawk my tele and dean and line 6 amp and get an Agile Intrepid Dual Pro and throw a calibrated Aftermath set in it...and then buy my bassists Johnson head and cabinet for playing out in the open. I think...subject to change as usual...

10. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

If you play live and only own one guitar you're, IMO, asking for trouble somewhere down the line.

Saieph likes this.
  11. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

I have a fender 6, ibby 7 and a schecter 8. They each offer something different!

Saieph likes this.
  12. prashanthan

prashanthan SS.org Regular

This. It's fine to just have one guitar if you don't play live I guess, but otherwise, you never know what could happen, so it's always worth gigging with a back-up.

Saieph likes this.
  13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Yeah until very recently I've only wanted one and have always kept only one. I'm not fussed about wanting a variety of tones or something. Nor am I fussed about needing a smaller number of strings (i.e. a 9 string has a 6 string in it so that was going to be my only guitar).
    However that's changed as I've got into an open tuning too, so I'm wanting a 7 string for that. My 9 can't have a trem either so I want a 7 string with a trem also.
    I'm definitely still a minimalist and going to keep the number as low as possible while retaining the features I want.

Saieph likes this.
  14. Sikthness

Sikthness SS.org Regular

If I could find one guitar that satisfied all my playing needs, Id gladly part w/ everything I have. But for me I just don't think thats possible.

Saieph likes this.
  15. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

I got 5 right now, due to be 6 soon, most I had 8.... Any lone ranger player who gigs and that shoudl have atleast one back up, but other than that I don't see the problem having as many as you want or can afford even if you don't play live or record or need them for different tunings etc etc... apart from all that, guitars are fcuking gorgeous, they are great things to own and why not have as many as you want they will all mean something different to you, even if its just in the looks department.

Mine will always be a minimum of 4 coz over the years I been lucky enough to find 4 "sweet spot" guitars that I really could never part with (relic strat, mutt voyager, custom 7 string & my Jackson Adrian Smith fyi) Others come and go and I may find a 5th sweet spot guitar but thoses four just cover every base from being a musical tool right through to just pure GAS....

Saieph likes this.
  16. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

Always gotta have a backup incase one goes down.

17. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

I've owned tons of guitars since I started playing. At the most I had 10 at one time but I have two guitars and a bass now that are keepers. I try to be more selective about my guitar purchasing now.

Saieph likes this.
  18. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Absolute minimum is 1, of course, or 2 if you're playing live (backup, backup, backup!). Absolute maximum is the limit of your storage space and ability to keep yourself fed/housed/otherwise healthy and happy while acquiring new instruments. Other than that, I'd say it's a matter of taste. I've sold off over half of my collection in the last year, both to fund a custom 8 and to get instruments I don't play out of the house in preparation for a move. I'm down to two 6-strings (both of which I've owned for over ten years), the custom 8, and a semi-hollow 7. I expect to order another custom 8 from OAF this year, to expand my stable of available sounds in the 8-string domain. I'll probably get a solidbody 7 at some point to complement the "jazz" guitar. Other than that, I'd like new instruments to fit a new niche in some way. A Godin Glissentar is high on my "buy someday" list - fretless double-course nylon-string. That's definitely a different niche.

Saieph likes this.
  19. Saieph

Saieph *_Cowbra_*

Great replies so far. I never really played out enough to warrant having a backup, but I completely understand that facet of guitar ownership. And yes, they are works of art, so should you have the cash to do so, I can see the investment as wise for any guitar player.

Keep 'em coming!

20. Interloper

Interloper SS.org Regular

I currently have 6 in the house but only 4 are really mine.

ESP Horizon NT-II
    Ibanez RG1XXV
    Ibanez RGD2127z
    Agile Intrepid 828

Wife owns a Taylor acoustic and a nice MIM strat. I'm the only person who plays them though so they are kind of mine. I do play all of them except for the fender and I'm already planing to get a DC800 after we are settled in (having our first baby in about a month).

I keep them all in different tunings and I find that they each excel at different things. I really can't imagine having any less than what I have though if I had to I guess I could get by with just the RGD. But that would mean we've fallen under hard times. Ultimately I would like to grab another nice 7 string so i would have 2 of each.

all of my guitars are pretty nice though, it gets me when people have 3 or 4 low end guitars instead of just getting one nice one. You gotta have at least one nice one.

Saieph likes this.