Guitar nut question!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by stitchbot, Jul 30, 2012.

1. stitchbot

stitchbot stitchbot

Ok I hope someone cud help me! I wanna tune my jp60 to dropped B and I have to widen my nut for new string gauge n my question is wud I b able to tune back to like standard. with a regular gauge string even tho my nut is widened???? Appreciate the feedback thanks guys!

2. bob123

bob123 Banned

No. If you deepen the nut to accept a large gauge string properly, you wont be able to put a "normal" E string on again without some buzzing and tuning issues.

If youre concerned for resale value, Id say leave it as is, and get a baritone meant for this type of tuning.

3. stitchbot

stitchbot stitchbot

Dude ur a life saver I didn't Jack it up yet and I appreciate the fast reply. And I wasn't going to sell t it is a great axe lol just wondering I dont knw Wat I was thinking :eek:

4. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Presuming it is just a standard nut, replacement nuts can be had for around $10. Should you screw up your nut, it is not difficult or expensive to swap in a new one. You can find how to videos online.

5. myampslouder

myampslouder SS.org Regular

If you just want to fit larger strings you shouldn't have to deepen the slot at all. You will have to make the slot wider but there is no reason to cut it deeper. If the nut is already cut to the proper depth then even with a wider string the slot will still be the proper depth simply increase the width of the slot so the string will sit in it properly and your done