Guitar I want to buy is constantly delayed

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by BMO, Mar 3, 2018.

1. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Hey guys! Just curious if anyone would know why it is that something like this would happen. Not really complaining as I can wait or find something else but I really am GASing for an Ibanez baritone and the RGIB6 keeps getting delayed. Every site said “By January” and then “By Mar 5” and now every site says they won’t stock till May. Seems really odd. But also I noticed one is up that’s a factory second that looks tempting. Does anyone have experience on if buying a factory 2nd Ibby is worth it?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Sounds like other dealers are snatching up the stock.

When there is a limited supply of a particular model, the built guitars go to higher volume dealers, and those with certain dealer agreements.

BMO likes this.
  3. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Ah fair enough point. Seems Zzounds and Thomann might’ve snatched em up first as they had some in stock. I just contacted the store a state over selling the factory second and they inspected the neck for me and it’s in good shape so I snatched it up for a ridiculous price! So ridiculous in fact i might order an rg470xl I also see is up for sale.....

4. MaxOfMetal

If it's an authorized dealer I'd have no problem buying a factory 2nd. Those are usually just small finish flaws.

5. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

congrats

be sure to post up a ngd thread and let us know how it turned out.

6. BMO

BMO Geetarist

In this case it was a speck of dust under the clear on the back. Everything else was in awesome order. Besides, I may like my instruments to be in tip top shape if used, but a brand new purely cosmetic flaw I find adds character!

Jacksonluvr636 and watson503 like this.
  7. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Will do of course!

8. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Awesome score. Can't beat that.

When one companies factory 2nd is in 10x better shape than another companies brand new.

9. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

Half the time I can't even find those finish flaws. Sometimes the "2" they stamp on em is more of a flaw than anything else on the guitar.

I picked up an LTD Buz 7 at a ridiculously good price because some of the hardware was tarnished. It was literally just a strap button I planned on replacing anyway :lol:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  10. BMO

BMO Geetarist

And it seems it goes through 2 more stages of QC, seeing as how the company that acquires them checks em out, and then the tech at whatever shop stocks any usually sets it up out of the box.

11. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

esp and ibby need to send some of their inspectors over to gibson so i can get a b-stock explorer and flying v

12. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Gibson needs to hire new or retrain all their current factory workers to be honest lol!

13. MaxOfMetal

Not really.

If a guitar makes it to the distributor, who rejects it they get authorization to mark it a "2nd Stock". This is usually done on stuff that's still saleable as it's cheaper than sending back to the manufacturer and waiting for a replacement.

Honestly, a lot of distributors use this as a method of clearing out sitting stock and placing thier re-order higher in the queue.

These don't really get any extra checks outside of a little paperwork which is often pencil whipped.

14. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Ah fair enough. The shop I chatted with says mine (that’s coming in this afternoon) is actually a second from the factory but got checked by their techs before I put money down for it. So I just jumped to that conclusion out of personal experience getting mine I suppose. Also might have figured out why the delays are going on for this model. It seems they decided to change the woods on the 2018 batch very recently as their website now lists it with a Jatoba fretboard and a Purpleheart centerpiece in the neck. So they might’ve let out a small batch of 2017 specs and planned on releasing the full new batch later.

15. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Talked to Rich at Ibanezrules the other day and he said that Ibanez claims there are some missing shipments floating around somewhere, perhaps why things like the AZ's keep getting delayed