Guitar Center Going Out Of Business?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Carl Kolchak, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:43 PM.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I can't watch the video (because I'm at work), but it's too bad, because it's one of the few places you can go to try out a guitar you might have no intention of buying.

My biggest issue with the place is that it's impossible to get waited on. You wanna just run in and grab strings and get out and on your way to practice? Sorry, not gonna happen. You'll have to wait in line bare minimum of 30 minutes while a confused worker punches through ancient user interface to sell something.

This is the one kind of place that should absolutely have kiosks. Make them only for non-commission items. Guitars and speakers etc. will have to go through a sales rep or whatever, but I think more people would go in the store if they didn't abhor the idea of wandering around searching for someone, anyone that can just take their fucking money so they can make an easy, small, necessary purchase on the fly.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Hrmf.

In the late 1990's, GC opened up in Detroit (Roseville, technically), and drove 80% of the local mom and pop guitar stores out of business over the next couple-few years. The little store where I worked went from making enough money to support the owner, two managers, two supervisors, a full time pro audio tech, a full time guitar tech, six sales people, a full time accountant and eight teachers, to going through layoffs down to four sales/tech people and five teachers, with paychecks tending to bounce throughout the summertime. Eventually the place partnered with another failing store, and then another, and then finally closed down permanently.

The biggest problem with this is that it totally ends the availability of brick and mortar shops in most of the US. Now, you're on tour, and you desperately need new snared for your snare drum, or a head for the kick drum, or a .012" string, or a bag of picks, or an XLR cable, and you will be totally up a creek 60% of the time, instead of only 10% of the time.

TL;DR - Sucks for touring bands.

AxeHappy, Overtone and pastanator like this.
  4. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Again? or still?

AxeHappy, Herrick and takotakumi like this.
  5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Wonder if the extended warranties I have on stuff will still be honored?

6. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

Again

AxeHappy likes this.
  7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I absolutely agree with you on everything you said. As much as I call Guitar Center my go to place to buy drum or guitar gear, I'm gonna have to start really considering a plan B for where I'm gonna be shopping.

8. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

R.I.P jokes about shitty GC-employees.

smokiekouki, Randy and BenjaminW like this.
  9. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

F them. They devolved into an aggravating experience of price gouging and misinformation on crap gear

10. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Meh. The writing was on the wall a few years ago when they were opening stores that they couldn't afford.

The only gear they had was dinged-up beginner instruments. Unless, of course, you wanted a Gibson or Fender. In which case, they had many to choose from. "7-string? I haven't even mastered six yet. yuck yuck." Go back to 1960 when Gibson was still relevant.

Walking in the store was an awful experience. There was a rule that ten people had to be trying out gear at all times. Half of them had no music discipline and the other half were playing System of a Down, Kansas, or Led Zeppelin.

I'm with bostjan on the mom and pop front, too. I knew a guy who owned a music store, and Guitar Center opened on the same road as him, about 2 miles down. Anyway, he shifted to higher-end sales and was able to stay alive. I'm sure he will be quite happy when they close the doors.

AxeHappy, smokiekouki and BenjaminW like this.
  11. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Don't forget our favorite Enter Sandman!

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

ppfffff real players only do Nothing else Matters

bostjan likes this.
  13. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

I've been talking to the manager of a semi-local store for a while now about possibly doing some work with them. Him and I talked about it a bit recently and his view of GC closing is dismal. Even though the closest one is over an hour away, he's afraid that the flood of liquidated guitars hitting the market are going to wipe out his sales when they inevitably close. At least for a noticeable period. He's got some higher tier stuff, but not much (Rolla, MO isn't much of a money town!). So that situation might be different then who you are talking about, but it's certainly not all good news, even though the long term situation might greatly improve for the smaller shops that survive. Guess the question is if they're going to suffer a debt that they won't be able to recover from.

14. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Nah, real guitarists play Lolipop.

15. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I understand what you mean, but I don't think it will work that way for him. The guitars hitting the market are going to be whatever is in stock. People who buy theses guitars on fire sale weren't going to buy them at full price anyway. Either they wanted the guitar but couldn't afford it, or they are going to buy it simply because it's cheap.

The used market is a completely different beast. Look at Fender, for example. They're been pumping out Strats and Teles for decades, but sales continue strong. I still don't understand how they haven't flooded their own market yet. So many guitars are being pumped out every day, but not many get destroyed. You'd think we would have reached some critical point where old guitars can be used as currency due to their vast numbers.

16. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Doesn't really affect me as the nearest GC is 500 miles away. I have gotten some good used guitars and amps from their site though. I've never bought a new item from a GC, lol. Anyway, my local shop has been thriving for a long time and blows any GC out of the water.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

I've spent years consistently combing the guitar centers in the twin cities and their selection is so hit or miss. Sometimes I'll find something cool like the rgif8 to try out, other times you'd be lucky to even see a 7 string in there, let alone one of the newer schecter apocalypses or such. I won't miss GC, their selection has always been too vintage oriented for my tastes. Guess if I want to go to a good guitar store anymore I'm going over to riff city.

Mathemagician likes this.
  18. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Red Handed Riff Raff

I would have been all about it, but the one right around the corner from my work has a newer manager who’s been nothing short of awesome to me- and I haven’t exactly been the easiest customer to deal with.

Such is life. Everyone will move on, hopefully to bigger and better things. And yeah, more power to the local businesses!

19. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Every few months, everyone here forgets that the brand is too big for investment firms to pass on buying. Starting with tomorrow’s thread on the same subject in a different sub forum, all GC threads should be merged into a “Behold the learning curve of the ‘how do djent’ community” megathead. Then the same six people can focus on asking the wall if Gibson is going away.

Overtone likes this.
  20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

But only the first couple bars, looped endlessly. :lol:
    Is it, though? I don't think so. Guitar playing boomed in the late 1980's, thanks to EVH and the number of hugely talented shredders getting everyone's attention. Really, few people care about guitars anymore. Same goes double for drums and basses. The market is no longer there.

Think of it this way, the piano used to be the biggest musical instrument. There were piano stores where people went to buy pianos. There were piano movers who operated a business that just moved pianos all day. There were piano tuners who made a living by going from door-to-door tuning people's pianos for a fee. But people stopped caring about the piano. How many piano retailers are there now?!

The guitar is slowly following the same path. Guitar heroes are only heroes to other guitarist now. It's a fading art form, not that there is less of it happening, but no one cares about it like they used to, so guitarists who used to make a decent living doing sessions and fill-ins are now struggling, because pay is less competitive. Guitar builders are struggling to survive, because their customers are struggling to survive. The retailer in the middle of all of this is the last party anyone thinks about.

So, while the argument may work on some levels for Gibson's financial troubles, I don't think a smart investor would buy GC. The brand was already bought out a decade ago, and the investor who bought into them unloaded a majority of their shares a few years ago. There's not really any juice left to squeeze out of that lemon, either, because A) the market is dwindling and B) online retailers are taking up most of that market share, and also C) many manufacturers are beginning to market direct-to-customer sales, bypassing the retail segment entirely.