Guitar cabinet wattage vs. head wattage

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by TheMasterplan, Oct 6, 2018.

1. TheMasterplan

TheMasterplan Creator//Destroyer

Howdy lads,

I don't know shit about cabinets or most gear that isn't guitars so I figured this would be a good place to ask. Someone I know wants to sell me two vertical Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cabs (old school 90's ones I'll attach pics) that appear to be 140w each. I'm currently using a Mesa Triple Rectifier 150w solo head (older one that doesn't have switchable wattage) and thought it'd be kind of neat. I'll either get these or a standard Mesa Rectifier 4x12 cabinet but I wanted to make sure that:

1. I can even run them both parallel / as one/mono and that it won't be an issue with either the head or cabs
    2. Will it affect my tone and if so, how?
    3. Would it make sense, be beneficial or how would it affect my tone if I were to run them one each as stereo instead of parallel/mono together

Here are the pics:
    image2.jpeg

image5.jpeg

As a P.S. is $500 a fair price for the set?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

It looks like they are just 8 ohm speakers wired in series to give a 16 ohm output. If you plug both in to your mono output signal, it’s an 8 ohm load. The only way you’ll hear anything in stereo is if you’re using stereo effects. The 2 8 ohm stereo jacks on the back of each cab just isolate each speaker. You won’t have any trouble running a 2x12 or both 2x12’s with your head. The Mesa output taps are typically for 8 ohm and 4 ohm, so you’d use the 8 ohm output into the 16 ohm cab input, if you were using just one cab.

3. TheMasterplan

TheMasterplan Creator//Destroyer

So I can run a cable from one 8ohm cab to the other and then run that into the back of the head at 16ohms?

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

No, you would run two cables from the amp; one to each cabinet’s 16 ohm jack. The cabs don’t have an out from what I can see, so you couldn’t “daisy chain” the cabs.

5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Just grab a 412 unless you are gonna be spreading those out. Pricewise, no idea :lol: