Guitar/brand recommendations

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by METAL123, Feb 12, 2018.

1. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

I'm a really big fan of the higher end Korean made Schecter's and LTDs. I was wondering if anyone knows of any brands that have around equivalent quality and parts for the money.

2. xAGx

xAGx SS.org Regular

I'm going to be totally honest here. I've never been a fan of schecter Ibanez or Dean.

Ltd IMO makes GREAT guitars for the cost at which you pay for most of them. 600-1200 IMO they're some of the best guitars on the market.

Lastly I don't think you could possibly go wrong with a Jackson. Possibly a soloist. I've played a handful of guitars in the 1000-1500 dollar range and i just picked up a 650 dollar soloist that i'd take over them in a heartbeat. Their compound radius necks are just amazing. Sometimes playing my ltd my hands get tired with the thick heavy nature of the neck and that Jackson just seems perfect in comparison.

my 2 cents anyways

3. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Ibanez prestige is the way to go if you want to try ibanez. High end ltd's beats pretty much all indo ibanezes imo.

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

I think you've pretty much already been given spot on advice. Assuming you're looking for a metal-oriented guitar under $1500?

From best to worst, taking into account bang for buck and overall QC, parts, and such:

MIJ Ibanez, ESP, EVH, and Jackson - as good as it gets, used is a killer bang for buck!
    MIK Schecter and LTD (same factory) - other than the rare dud, great stuff and best bang for buck new by far
    MIM EVH - like Fender, the MIM stuff has been really good as of late, but for same $$ I'd go MIK Schecter/LTD
    MIC EVH - I have a flawless one, and I think EVH/FMIC must have good QC internally, because other MIC stuff is questionable.
    MII Ibanez and EVH - just not there yet, inconsistent with too many QC issues

5. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Solar guitars and chapman are also great value it seems.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

LTDs and Schecters are pretty much the gold standard for high specced production guitars that don't cost too much, especially if you can get em used. Other than that I'd look for used mij jacksons/ibanez prestiges. PRS' SE lineup is also quite solid for the price point, but most of em don't come with brand name tuners/bridges/pickups.

7. xAGx

xAGx SS.org Regular

i've never played either. I'm sure Solar is solid with Ola at the helm. What's Chapman like?

8. KnightBrolaire

chapmans are solid for the money. I prefer the cheaper models since they're a good bang for the buck. The more expensive models don't hold up against LTD or Schecter specswise.

xAGx likes this.
  9. xAGx

xAGx SS.org Regular

good information to have handy

10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

they are made on the same factory for the OP,

whatt specs are talking, they come with ebony/locking tunners/ SS frets? (dnt remember), even thick tops.... I tried couple at NAMM, they seemed pretty good. Not sure about price tho

11. KnightBrolaire

I was more talking about how higher end chapmans usually don't have brand name tuners/bridges/pickups. They're solid guitars but kind of lacking in that aspect when compared to ltd/schecter.

12. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

If you have a chance, give each one a try. I've had Ibanez Indo and Prestige, Schecter Korean, ESP LTD Indonesian and Korean, Kiesel, and most recently Strandberg.

You need to find wha is right for you. I suggest ordering through a reputable store with a good return policy and try out multiples!

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah I see.

quick check to their site and the do use hipshot for the tunners. But yeah the bridge is that no-brand hipshot-ish kinda bridge thats pretty common. Pickups are made by the factory, all depends on how good the specs are. Its up to them to tell the factory how they want their pickups, so could be amazing, but they could be "meh". Still think they have a good range of specs... again not sure about price