Guess who Won't Be at NAMM This Year?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Church2224, Jan 3, 2018.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Like I said, with how much most big companies use the same four or five OEMs for the bulk of thier lineup, if everyone launches new products at the same time you're just going to get a massive bottleneck.

They would have to start so far in advance we'd get guitars that were practically years old. :lol:

Actually, most do offer thier products for immediate sale at NAMM, which is why you always see a bunch of "sold" tags in NAMM pictures.

2. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

Or at least a year later, if you're Jackson.

3. Galeus708

Galeus708 SS.org Regular

Gibson don't consider themselves a guitar company, they think of themselves as a "Music Lifestyle" company. They view their guitars as accessories or decorations, not musical instruments. This move makes perfect sense.

4. MaxOfMetal

A not insignificant amount of thier revenue comes from licensing of thier designs and name for use on all kinds of stuff. :agreed:

Crash Dandicoot and Kyle Jordan like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone/ERG hoarder

except Bill has stated in interviews that ESP are way nicer to him and actually willing to put out the kind of guitar he wants. I'm just more surprised that brent hasn't switched over yet.

6. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

How do you figure ESP is not better then Gibson...?

I have heard nothing but great things about ESP from their endorsers

7. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

Yeah ESP treats it's people quite well and makes a great product.

8. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Probably just saving money. They need to. They don't really need the publicity. They do need the cash.

9. Ebony

Ebony Drums

Kind of like how Gene Simmons think of Kiss.

Mathemagician and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

He says he's with Epiphone. Doesn't deal with Gibson it seems. He says epiphone treats him much better than gibson.

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

How many Gibson exec's does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Trick question, Gibson just tells the lightbulb to go screw itself, but since they never QC'd the self-screwing mechanism, they have to have an Epiphone employee come over and do it for them.

StevenC, A-Branger, Nlelith and 5 others like this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone/ERG hoarder

I think epiphone is the only entity of gibson that could actually survive if the company goes tits up. They do stuff a lot of people seem to want (like Lee Malia's sig, Brendon small's sigs, etc) and seem to have a lot better build quality on their higher end epis than some of the gibsons I've tried.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

Even if Gibson as a company fails, there are plenty of deep pockets that will buy a brand that manages to sell guitars as expensive as Gibson does as easily as they do.

Gibson has no problem making money (revenue) they just have a management quagmire that seems morally opposed to keeping it (profit).

Don't forget, they also own much of thier supply chain, even import stuff.

I think a shakeup, like new ownership, is exactly what they need.

14. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

That is what I am hoping for, a change in ownership.

I really have nothing against the guitars themselves, or just Gibson existing. When they make a great guitar, it's a great guitar. I love my LP Standard and Explorers are among my favorite shapes. Plus call me crazy I like ES-335s and ES-330s. I almost got me an Explorer Custom a few months back as it sounded and played great but it had many quality control issues such as finish flaws and fret issues.

There has been so much drama with their current management, them being rated as one of the worst companies in the USA to work for, along with poor quality control, giving customers that are NOT what they want, that I do hope something happens to the company to change it. In the long run I want Gibson to do well and make great guitars again but that is going to take a rapid shift in leadership.

It is not rocket science what they need to do to get better: Focus on what made them good. Make quality guitars consistently. Time will tell if they realize that.

15. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

I honestly wouldn't say that. I actually liked some of their new finishes. It's the QA and the way they treat people that's like, the real big issue here. I actually liked their blue and pink finishes especially.

I don't think it's a bad idea for them to get innovative, but the main complaints I have with the new guitars is execution. They should've gone a lot more whole hog and made it drastically modern compared to everything else they've done. They also should've made guitars for both audiences. Some of them should be traditional, but others should be something drastically different that nobody's done, not just a Les Paul or Firebird with new technologies.

WintermintP

16. WintermintP

Treating their people quite well, maybe, but imagine having to pay well over $2K just to get your hands on a midrange model. They're no better.

WintermintP

17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think it's 100% coming down to the company's philosophy from the top down, which includes the points made about how they treat their employees, how they treat their customer base, and how poorly they follow through on their innovations.

The fact that "we want wider fretboards" was met with an answer at all is impressive, but the fact that the answer was the same string spacing with more overhang is a textbok example of an idea backfiring.

18. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

Define mid range, where are these artists at and where do you get this information?

Also I would rather pay more for a guitar and have a company treat me well than a company that treated me poorly and ignored me. I play my USA Schecter stuff almost exclusively and pay a bit for em but I know they company has my back no matter what. Artists should not expect stuff for free these days.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  19. WintermintP

But then it becomes a broken base where some criticise Gibson for not increasing their string spacing and others criticise Gibson for not staying the same.

WintermintP