Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Bloody_Inferno, Oct 19, 2016.

1. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

I left a little disappointed...

I thought the first one was incredible... unapologetic, went hard and just told the story well... this one seemed a little slow, the jokes lingered a bit too long (although some were really funny), and I thought there was plenty of depth they didn't explore involving lots of cosmic entities which would have been awesome...

But, yes, fun nonetheless...

2. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I'd say there's much fat to be trimmed. I saw it in IMAX 3D, opening night, and it's one of the only "good" Marvel films where the thought of seeing it again hasn't crossed my mind. It's a sci-fi space action movie, but ignore the window dressing and it's just a series of formulaic jokes driven by beats, rather than punchlines (only some of which pay off). You can watch the movie dubbed in any language and know exactly when Disney wants you to laugh.

As fun as it was to watch once, there's no nourishment to be found in a PG-13 summer blockbuster sequel that's been focus-grouped to sleep. I felt like I should be eating McDonald's while watching it.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

This is about the only one of these movies that WASN'T focus-grouped to death. There's only one writer, which I think is a first with these things. Usually there are multiple waves of writers to ensure it fits in the house style and all the jokes are in the right places.

4. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Punch-ups aren't necessarily credited, and Gunn and Perleman's dual-writing was credited in 20-foot letters (as well as on the google). I enjoyed the film, but I'm not going to pretend any 9 digit-budgeted summer Disney blockbuster is going against the stream. Nonetheless, it's in the top-5 MCU films I've seen, and I hope Gunn and the other MCU directors aspire to top it.

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

One thing I like about James Gunn is that everything he's done (not sure about the Scooby Doo movies) has an auteur driven spirit to them. That includes Lollipop Chainsaw (albeit shared with another auteur figure). The 2 Gardians films are no exception.

If I were to find a flaw in Vol 2, it's the "sloppy seconds" notion: that there's no longer a sense of wonder that the first movie gave. Gunn is well aware of this, which is why Vol 2 is so character driven it becomes a much smaller scale (among the smallest in the MCU canon) and much more personal as a result. It was the only logical path to go, either that or go on a world building exposition that became a misstep for some MCU sequels (points the finger at Iron Man 2 and Thor 2).

...okay there's a ton of obscure references here too, but you're fine to ignore them here just like the first. :lol:

I will say that the villain here is among the better (if not one of the best) in the MCU.

And for all the abundant jokes and comedy used, there's a surprising amount of dark themes undercurrent, which is interesting how Disney let Gunn and co get away with it all.