Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Bloody_Inferno, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

:woot: The first of the 3 MCU movies coming next year. The first GOTG movie was great, so definitely looking forward to this.

setsuna7 likes this.
  2. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Kurt Russell man, Kurt Russell.. nuff said

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It will be at least as good as Art of the Steal?

4. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Saw this Thursday. It's an entire movie of Kurt Russell sucking his gut in, and there are a few distracting shots of lip makeup needing to be touched up.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

saw it on friday, really enjoyed it overall. Pretty sure it was funnier than the 1st one too, which is a huge plus in my book.

6. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I saw it friday and thought it was great. It really captured the tone of the first one, had more jokes and delt with more of the cosmic characters which are really my favorite stuff that marvel had done in the books for years.

If you liked the first one, you will probably like this one.

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I also saw it last Friday. I'm not disappointed but obviously a bit worse than the first, which was perfect. I found a few stupid/unnecessary jokes in the 2nd volume that made me blush, and the film pace is great again except for the end, too much cheese.

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

saw it, I though it was awesome. I also re-watched the first one after and I kinda liked the tone/action of the first one a bit more

still great movie

9. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Saw it on opening night. Seeing a fellow countrymen(woman, in this case) in Hollywood movie made my day as well(albeit it was just a cameo). Plus Bautista killed it this time around!!!

10. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I thought the first one had a lot of cheese, but realized it's a family/kids movie so why would I expect anything else?

11. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Not so sure it is entirely a "kids movie" but anyway I felt the cheese in the first was better justified

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The first was definitely not perfect, the third act turned into a bunch of spaceships shooting each other and a bland villain no one remembers trying to tie it into the larger marvel universe with the stupid stone. It still LOOKED good during the third act, but it got farther away from the good aspects of it, even if it still had some good moments (such as the ultimate defeat of the baddie). I still haven't seen this one, but I've heard it actually keeps focused on the characters throughout instead of feeling like the studio mandated a bunch of big explosions and MCU tie-ins.

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I took the kids to see it. Everyone liked it. I wouldn't say it's breaking any new ground, really - it's like Marvel has found their wheelhouse and are sticking to it with this movie. Same characters as the first one, and it seems like there has been a little tiny bit of character development in between, but not much. I thought Marvel did a good job with the character development throughout this movie, though. The action was satisfying, and the humour was pretty classic - maybe a little corny at times, but satisfying.

So, that's Marvel's game plan, I think: Take characters from the comics and represent them reasonably well on screen. Add jokes. Place the entire existence of the world/galaxy/universe/multiverse/omniverse in peril. Add more jokes. Action sequences. Jokes. CGI and jokes.

The end result is a pretty satisfying movie. Satisfying like meat and potatoes. Not a lot of unique flavour, though, to be honest, since it seems like these movies follow a fairly strict formula. But it's a good formula and it works.

Here are some potential plot holes I've been pondering, though (spoiler heavy):

1. Why did Yandu have to die? Doesn't Starlord have that mask he can activate to breath in space?! Also, doesn't Starlord have the ability to fly with his special boots? What happened to them? Did they all run out of power or something?

2. Why does Ego age? He is all powerful, so he can take any form he wants. "He ages while he's away from his planet." is not sufficient for me, because he is the planet, and the human form is just a creation of the planet, not himself. I think it was just to save money on special effects, but they could have made 1980 Ego older and avoided the problem just the same. I mean, hologram Tupac doesn't age...

3. Why is Nebula caught stealing batteries in the first place. It seems like a really dumb thing for her to do. I would have scratched my head less if they had just left her presence there mysterious.

4. If the film is set in parallel with the Avengers film, why is there no mention in that film about a gigantic space ooze engulfing much of planet Earth?!

14. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

The villain reminds me of nergal from behemoth.

15. KnightBrolaire

1. all of his stuff got broken by ego, I distinctly remember seeing his mask get broken during the fight, same with his jetboots.
    2. suspension of disbelief/ didn't want to spend $$ on prosthetics/makeup/CGI making him look younger the whole movie
    3. Likely the same reason rocket stole them- they're worth A looot of $$
    4. the ooze was an isolated event in a small town in missouri, I'd think they didn't hear about it in time to do anything, though maybe they'd help with the aftermath. Also, the fight between Peter and Ego may have lasted a while on screen but in movie time was likely only a few minutes, hence why the Avengers didn't respond to the ooze. Also, only thor and iron man are capable of covering the distance between NY and Missouri quickly enough to even respond (there are no quinjets in this universe iirc, plus war machine is still broken).

16. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Absolutely enjoyed it. Slow in some parts but it was made up for in the last act.

17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I must have missed part of the battle.

2. Suspension of disbelief has boundaries. Like I said, make him old for the whole movie. It makes more sense.
    3. Rocket stole them to be a turd. Nebula isn't motivated by greed, she's singularly motivated by revenge, anyway.
    4. GotG2 was set in 2014. Also, it clearly shows mass devastation. How could a giant blob of space ooze explode all over Missouri, killing hundreds or thousands or more, and no one ever mention it in the other movies? Also, what happens to the ooze after Ego is destroyed? It just shows it cooling off as if it hardens.

18. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Rocket also stole them for their monetary value. He even states how much they're worth. His love for money is easily followed from the first movie. Also, Nebula isn't motivated by greed, but again the monetary value comes into play. With that kind of money, she can buy a ship or some sort of transportation to get to other places on her own, especially since she may or may not still have a bounty on her head. Also, the fact that she's had many parts replaced on her due to her failure to beat Gamora, and they certainly didn't shy away from that fact, she may attempt to have the ones Thanos put on her removed and replaced with organic body parts.

19. KnightBrolaire

^This.

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

saw it Saturday. I liked it . Think they def went for the cheap laughs,esp with drax and baby groot , but it was fun

I'd put it almost on par with the first one