Growing Fruit and Other Such Things

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by ferret, Jun 7, 2014.

1. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Anyone else growing anything in their yard or home?

Several years back, around the time my grandmother passed, we planted three apples trees of different varieties. This year, they're all three bearing fruit. There's a yellow delicious variety, a red fuji variety, and a granny smith green variety. (OR SOME SUCH).

Took these photos two of the yellow and green:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MikeH likes this.
  2. Oreo_Death

Oreo_Death Blackbird

My girlfriend and I have some herbs that we grow. Basil mostly and some Lemon Verbena I believe. No fruit though, I'm allergic to most of them :lol:

3. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

I have a chermioya sproutling going right now, but I'm in no shape to let it go into a full tree. Being apartment bound in a bad climate zone will do that to you. My father grows a lot of fun stuff like lime, papaya, mangoes though. I get my fill when I visit.

4. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

My folks are avid gardeners and we have a bunch of stuff growing. Usually the same, different stuff some years when they get bored. Apples, plums, blueberries, strawberries, two different gooseberries, japanese berries and ground cherries. Probably forgetting some. Also have a greenhouse and a small area with snack sized cucumbers, different tomatoes, zucchini and an assortiment of beans. Summer is a busy time of the year for us :lol:

5. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I have a lemon tree in my yard, unfortunately my backyard is only a 5x5m courtyard type deal, but I've got a strip up the side for herbs and such. At the moment, I'm growing Basil, Thai Basil, Oregano, Coriander, Tomatoes and I've got 8 various Chili Plants (2 Trinidads, 4 Ghosts, 1 Indian Bullet & 1 miscellaneous chili :lol:)

6. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Currently growing two tomato plants (one red cherry, one yellow), lavender, and basil. My girlfriend got on a little planting kick, so we have a small garden on our back patio.

7. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

Growing plants and eating from them is one of the best feelings ever!!
    I can't wait to have my own space to grow properly

8. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Soooooooooooon....

I tested one yesterday just for giggles... Not really full sized yet, a tad bitter but healthy ;)

9. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Strawberrys (every single one eaten by birds & ants :( ), rasberries and blackberries in the small garden (3x3 m). I tried to grow some herbs, but except for the salvia, it didn't work at all. Tomatoes, paprika, chili and cucumbers work greath though :) Hope I can get on or two small stone fruit trees the next year. It's kinda cool to see your very own food grow and all that.
    One of the upsides of village life is that some of my neighbours have huge gardens and more apples, plums, cherries and pears than they could possibly eat (or even harvest, some are well over 70...), so I get my free share of local fruit :)