Greenfield Guitars

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by hufschmid, Oct 8, 2009.

1. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

I found the website of the maker who built Don Alder fan fretted guitar and Andy McKee acoustic guitar!

May also notice the integrated armrest - just for those who think its a blackmachine design :squint: :wub:

Umbalivable work :bowdown:

Greenfield Guitars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

crayzee, phaeded0ut, Mattmc74 and 2 others like this.
  2. Apophis

Apophis Banned

beautiful guitars, no fancy stuff, just awesome wood choice and quality :yesway:

[​IMG]

This 7 string fanned fret G1 has an elevated fingerboard with a negative neck angle. It was commissioned by Rys Olsen and was designed to be tuned specifically to an open D tuning. Based on my G1 body this small guitar’s lowest string is the A on a bass guitar!

Some of this guitar’s specifications are :

• Scale lengths 25.5” – 28.59”
    • Tuned: A’7, D6, A5, d4, f#3, a2, d’1
    • Strung: .076”, .056”, .042”, .034”, .026”, .018”, .014”
    • Alpine spruce soundboard
    • Special reserved grade Koa back
    • Laskin style arm and rib rests
    • 20” radius quarter sawn ebony fingerboard
    • 2 1/8” nut width
    • 2 3/4” spacing at bridge

[​IMG]

This 8 string was commissioned by Dean Mednick and was designed to be tuned to an open ‘D’ tuning of A, D, A, D, F#, A, D, F# (low to high). This is my G2 model married with the Novax fanned fret system and 2 extra strings. It uses my modified, partial lattice brace pattern.

The guitar has incredible clarity with perfect balance from string to string. A solid fundamental is supported by round, bell like highs and a delicate yet lush over-tone series.

This particular 8 string has a 25.0” – 27.0” scale length(s), 211/32” nut width and a 31/16” string spread at the bridge.

Depending on tunings, playing style and the desired result, this combination can also be adapted to my G4 model. Scale lengths can also be varied to best support different tunings.

[​IMG]

The Changui

This is a large body nylon sting guitar based on my G1 body shape. Originally commissioned by innovative guitarist and Jazz great Charlie Hunter, I am now offering this model to fretboard acrobats everywhere! It features a spruce soundboard and a radially braced Koa back. The body has a secondary sound port on the player's side to help balance the low end resonance of the body. The 7 or 8 string, Spanish cedar neck joins the body at the 13th fret on the bass side, with an elevated fret board (similar to an archtop guitar) for unrestricted access to the upper register.

The licensed Novax Fanned Fret™fingerboard allows the instrument to be tuned down to a low E' (same note as a bass guitar) with exceptional clarity and a solid fundamental. Each string also plays perfectly in tune in any position, even with non-conventional string gauging. Finally The Changui is fitted with a custom made K&K Quantum Trinity System.

Scale Length: 25" - 29"

[​IMG]

Brahms Guitar

Commissioned by guitarist Paul Snyder, this instrument is inspired by the work of the great David Rubio, who crafted the original for concert player Paul Galbraith.

The Brahms Guitar is my model C1 married with the Novax fanned fret system and 2 extra strings. It is lattice braced, has an elevated fret board, negative neck angle and has an added low A to the outside on the bass side and a high A to the outside on the treble side.

The instrument has incredible clarity with perfect balance from string to string. A solid fundamental is supported by round, bell like highs and a delicate yet lush over-tone series.

It is simply a spectacular instrument.

Amazing work :yesway:
    Sorry for hijacking your thread ;)
    All reps have to go to Patrick, he started this thread :yesway:

phaeded0ut likes this.
  3. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

:agreed: Elavated fingerboards is pure sex and a fantastic idea, it also keeps the neck perfectly strainght on the playing surface :agreed:

[​IMG]

4. Apophis

Apophis Banned

:agreed: just amazing work and ideas :)

I hijacked your thread Patrick cause I wanted to show that 4" fan, cause people mailing with me and also here at SS.org was huge discussion about how big and maybe unplayable 4" fan may be, but now we have strong evidence that it is not so incredible big fan ;)

5. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

hijacked pure sex is the best hijacked ever :D

Also the top of the guitar has a tapered soundboard otherwise the action would be really high :lol:

[​IMG]

6. Apophis

Apophis Banned

I would like to try such instrument someday :agreed:

7. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

That type of integrated armrest on an acoustic was actually developed by Toronto luthier Grit Laskin, and it's usually referred to as the "Laskin armrest". ;)

He also does tummy bevels the same way on the backs of his guitars.

:squint:

8. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

Finally, thanks Darren!

I'm using them on my electric guitars, even thew blackmachine also does this and there is a reason, cutting a big arm contour on a thin body makes the body look stupid and its also not necessary.....

Its just anoying that everybody says ''oh this arm bevel looks like a blackmachine'' when in fact its been here for such a long time on acoustic instruments...

:squint:

9. Apophis

Apophis Banned

being honest almost all techniques and improvements were made a long time ago in acoustic world :agreed:

10. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

totally :agreed:

11. halsinden

halsinden it's a british thing

nnnhhh.

OOOOOOOHHHHHH.

oh christ...

sebastian. SEBASTIAN YOU'RE MAKING ME ONE, ok? cool.

H

12. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

Those are really nice looking acoustics! And they sound great from the clip. Are these custom order only?

hufschmid likes this.
  13. phaeded0ut

phaeded0ut droooooneeeeeeeee!

WOW! Really pretty guitars, I love that one of them have sound holes on the upper bout of the guitar rather than on the face. Thanks for starting up this thread, Patrick!

Have to agree about some of the designs being bits and bytes of the past. But then again, there have been a few innovations in the recent past, too, such as minimalism in guitar construction and design. On the flip-side, there's always lute and oud design and construction. ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  14. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

This is a guitar which was built by one of the best guitar makers in europe, his name is Maurice Ottiger, he lives 30mn by car from my place :)

Check out the new bridge he invented :agreed:

15. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

He mainly builds luth's and because of that he is using the luth chip carving technique as a decorative tough on his classical guitars, now check this out!

Its a real trademark to Ottiger classical guitars :bowdown:

[​IMG]

16. Apophis

Apophis Banned

wow, it requires HUGE skills and patience

17. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

:agreed: chip carving is sick :nuts:

You move 1/2 mm with the knife and your brake a piece of wood in 1/2 a second....

Of course my entire life I will GAS for a Somogyi guitar, because I will never be able to afford one and he is the best in the word at chip carving...

This is one of his rosette work... :nuts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:ugh::nuts:

not to mention his sick inlay work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. phaeded0ut

LOL! Patrick and I had a short discussion in this thread: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...-alto-guitars-in-action-and-some-history.html concerning lute building. The ones shown on the site are really scary for the large numbers of laminations and in one case the multi-tiered sound hole rosette.

I'm not implying in the slightest that guitar building isn't difficult, nor slighting anyone here.

Ottiger's work is a VERY interesting change to bridge design.

Damn, that is some pretty inlay work and THOSE are rosettes! ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  19. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

I knew you would enjoy this :D

Its above ''art'', ''art'' is a small word to describe this...

20. phaeded0ut

The chip carving for that second sound hole is really amazing. I completely agree, this is far above functional art.