Grammar question #3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Talmaci, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

Hello!
    Would like to ask native speakers it is correct to say
    "girl with glasses" or "girl in glasses"?

2. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

With.

3. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

"with" is probably the more common one, like if you were pointing out someone in a crowd: "It's her! The girl with glasses over there!"

"in" is still perfectly acceptable, but less common in day-to-day speech. If you were describing someone in a book or article, that voice might fit better. "A girl in glasses and a large hat approached us..."

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I suspect this is a regional thing.

I'd go with "in" when referring to something which is worn by someone, and "with" when referring to something which is associated with someone.

As an example, I'd say "the girl in the jeans and glasses with the iPod," not "the girl with the glasses, jeans and an iPod."

To my ear, "with" doesn't imply actually wearing them, but instead carrying them.

As noted, both are grammatically correct, but I'd have to see actual data before making or accepting a claim that one is universally more favored than another in the various places where English is spoken. Some people do like to make such blanket pronouncements, though....

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

As with all of these questions, the answer seems to really depend on the context of the rest of the sentence.

I'd say "the person with glasses" or "the person with the glasses", but might use "in" if describing a whole outfit - as in "the person in jeans and a t-shirt". Neither is wrong, but "with" sounds better to my ears.

6. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

From the direction this is going with clothes and accessories, I would say "with" for the accessories and "in" for the clothes:

The girl WITH the glasses/handbag/iPad etc...
    The girl IN the red dress/jeans/Barney costume....

Of course, grammatically both are correct.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Your examples sort of show where you definitely wouldn't want to say "in". It would make no sense to say "the girl in the handbag" or "in the iPad".

8. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

Absolutely correct! My mistake! Didn't take the time to check that - just basically agreeing with what was said above, that with and in can usually be swapped out.

9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

The distinction between the glasses and the other accessories (e.g., handbag, iPad) is that the glasses are worn like clothing and the others are not. Other accessories that are worn would make sense with "in" as well (hat, scarf, shawl, belt, etc.) whereas those that are not worn don't fit with "in".

bostjan and Dcm81 like this.
  10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

"In" works best when describing a clothing article that covers the torso or legs. One would rarely describe a woman wearing red gloves as "the woman in the red gloves," since the majority of the woman is not physically located inside of red gloves. Headgear does offer a bit of a gray area, though, as it only sounds a little bit odd to say "the woman in the blue scarf" or "the man in the yellow hat," but certainly, "with" is the more acceptable choice for headgear, especially something like glasses, which do not provide cover.

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I don't know, neither of those sounded odd when reading them, but when I picture a scarf, it's generally wrapped around - so technically they are "in" it

Maybe it's more accessories that throw it? Like, a handbag is a "with" and same for glasses/hats, but something that encapsulates someone seems more appropriate as an "in"

12. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

Maybe this is yet another case of me being an alien to humanity, but I wouldn't say either, they both sound awkward to me, if it were me I'd say "girl wearing the glasses", that sounds the best to me.