Got My Mesa Triaxis Fired Up!

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Christopher, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

I am completely blown away! I got the Mesa 2:90 for it about a week ago and just had to wait for my Triaxis. So I got it late yesterday and got it installed in my rack today.

Now I must admit that my particular Triaxis rig had the deck stacked in it's favor right out of the packing box. The Triaxis was already loaded with some handpicked JJ's. It's a version 2.0 without the Phat mod.

I plugged my guitar straight into the Triaxis and then fed my TC Electronic G Major in series and lastly into the 2:90. I tried several different configs going between mono and stereo through my Recto 4x12.

I did an exhaustive amount of research on this rig that started literally years ago. I read so many reviews and listened to so many opinions on it and heard all the likes and dislikes. I knew going in what were considered the most common complaints and was expecting them to show through quickly.

In the end all I was hoping to find was a rig that would be versatile as hell and deliver tones similiar to my Rectoverb & Mk IV in a much more compact and managable package.

This rig is an absolute success in what I was looking for. I can get incredible clean tones that range from bright and sparkly to fat and slightly driven. It was the business of the lead settings that I was most surprised.

One of the chief complaints I heard about the Triaxis is that it wouldn't really do Recto. It's a pretty true statement. I definitely would be able to tell the difference in a blind test between the Tri/2:90 and my Rectoverb. What I didn't expect though was that I actually like the Triaxis' take on the Recto tone even more! It's modern and big and heavy but it also has an edge of sophistication to it. There's plenty of gain available and with the modern mode on the 2:90 engaged it does get pretty close. The fact that I've been using my Rectoverb in Vintage mode a lot lately has probably helped my transition.

Coping the tone of my Mk IV was too easy. I've always tried to set my Mk IV for that liquid squishy Mesa tone and getting the Triaxis to do this is like second nature. What I hadn't realized was that all these years I'd been trying to get my Mesa heads to sound like a Triaxis.

The second most common complaint about the Triaxis is it's naturality. So many commented on how the Triaxis had great feel and tone but didn't sound as natural as heads do. I actually find these to be my favorite thing about it. This thing sounds like a guitar rig that has been recorded, mixed, and mastered right out of the speakers. I equate it a lot to the Line 6 feel.

I always loved the tone and versatility of my Vetta rig but it felt wrong to me. Like it was a cold, lifeless thing, I just couldn't get into it. Now, I'm getting all the versatility I was out of my Vetta but with a very tube feel.

A lot of people complained about the difficulty in getting sweet tones. Maybe because I'm used to Mesa amps or maybe because I've read the manual a zillion times but I found it to be a fun and easy thing.

I'm loving both the clean modes, each has it's own character and use. I've found several tones I like in the Lead 1 Red, and pretty much everything in the Lead 2 section.

If you haven't done so and you like Mesa tones I highly recommend checking a Triaxis / 2:90 rig soon. I love my Mk IV and my Rectoverb but I'm getting all the tones I wanted out of a nice little 6 space rack. I just need to add a Furman and one of the new custom shop rack wahs and I'll be rolling!

The beautiful thing is, I got the Triaxis and 2:90 for less than $1700!

Hopefully, clips will follow soon! Remodeling the new house has taken the studio off line for a little while!

2. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Nice man. That's a killer setup.

3. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

you digging the MkII mode?

4. TheReal7

TheReal7 Mr. Melody Contributor

Sweet.... been running a Tri/2:90 for over 7 years now....still love it :D

5. Christopher

Man I am digging all the modes right now. I've got a ton of tweaking to do but I can see myself finally at rest in ampdome. The cool thing is that each mode has it's own character, vibe, and mojo. I can see myself using every one for one thing or another in the studio.

Live, this thing will kill. I loved using my Vetta live but the tones from the different amp models could be so different that we could sound like a jukebox and I never liked this. With this rig even though there are a ton of tones they still have that little something in common. Very COOL!

6. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

7. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

right on :hbang:

8. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

Yeah, I've never been much for using a different tone for every song live with my Line6, even though I could.

I love the versatility of Line6 in the studio, but live I stick to one heavy sound, and then use the versatility in the effects/clean/other sounds.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Bingo. I HATE bands that do that - part of being a "band": for me is having a cohesive sound from song to song, even on covers. Coverbands using Line6 by and large DON'T do this.

10. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

Yep, agreed. Even in the studio, I may use a lot of different settings, but I always use the same settings, panned the same way between songs.

11. 7stringninja

7stringninja Southpaw Bastard

This is my #1 most desired piece of equipment at the time.

My only concern is, being that I've read so many people complain about it's lack of "Rectifier-type" sound, I want to know if this pre-amp is capable of producing an aggressive metal-orriented sound.

I really want a Midi-compatible preamp, but the Recto-preamp, isn't really the type of solution I want. Plus, this pre has TONS more available sounds and way more options that I am fond of. The only other piece equipment that I am debating about is the Marshall JMP-1. I have personally had a chance to play through one of these wired to a Mesa 2:90 and a Marshall 4 x 12 cabinet, and I was blown away by the sound. I almost bought it on the spot, but thoughts and dreams of the Triaxis kept me away.

12. Christopher

Well I can't speak for the JMP-1 but in the end the lack of Recto was the beginning of the end for me and my Triaxis. It wasn't the the Recto so much as it was a modern heavy sound. I got great cleans, mid gains, and vintage high gains all day and night but everything sounded like a Mark Series amp (well duh!). It was incredible at getting that sweet squishy Mark tone but I just never warmed to it as a Mesa be all end all. Had I gone from just a Mk IV to it I'd still love it but part of my sound was that modern Recto thing.

If you're shopping for a midi controlled preamp don't overlook the Randall RM 4. I ended up with exactly what I wanted out of a guitar rig with mine. I still have great clean tones but I also have Recto modern. Since they don't have a Mesa Mark series module yet (rumor abound) I'm using the XTC for leads and I can get that warm middy lead tone I love.

The Randall stuff opened a lot of doors I'd forgotten completely about.

13. Gurj

Gurj SS.org Regular

I wanted a triaxis for a long time on the understanding it could do every sound under the sun. So when I brought one last year with a 2:90 I was very, very disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bit of kit, well you'd expect it to be for the price! But as mentioned before, it doesn't do the recto sound. Great for everything else, but I couldn't dial my tone in no matter what I tried.

The other pre-amp I did own and actually liked was the ADA MP-1. For the price, it can't be beat, well imho anyway ;)

14. 7stringninja

7stringninja Southpaw Bastard

I've heard nothing but positive things about ADA products as well. And I've seen the MP-1 around for a LONG time. Usually thats a good sign to a products reliability. The question is, how would it taylor to my sound?

I've always been curious about Randall products as well (as mentioned above). I'm a big fan of Dimebag's sound, and I know he was a big Randall guy for a long time. Just never looked too deep into it.

15. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

Dude, that is THE rig. I have never played through a better setup in my life.

16. Gurj

Gurj SS.org Regular

Sadly I never got a Dimebag sound out of the triaxis :noplease: Or out of the ADA for that matter, but I did like the metal tone from the ADA. If you want to go down the rack route, then a ADA MP-1 may be a good starting point, well if cost is a factor.

As far as the Dimebag tone, then a Randall Warhead should do the trick, I have a Randall Cyclone head, which comes close.

17. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Why would you even expect to get a Dimebag tone? The Triaxis is a tube amp.

18. Flesh-EatingMonkey

Flesh-EatingMonkey AKA 'Burt'

Just curious, but why does eveyone say this? The Triaxis DOES have the "Vintage Recto" sound. That's what "Lead 1 Red" is. What it doesn't have is the "modern recto" sound. Dual Recs have a switch in back to choose which setting. "Vintage Recto" was the setting I kept my Dual Rec on 100% of the time (before I went with the Triaxis). "Modern Recto" just sounded less saturated to me, so I didn't like it. BTW, I never noticed a difference in total gain available between the two settings.

Instead, the Triaxis has the Mark III lead sound. (lead 2 Red) This is the most gain I've heard out of an all tube amp. If you want more gain, the Triaxis probably isn't for you. Try a Rocktron, or something with a mostly solid-state gain stage.

19. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I want a TriAxis someday, I've never gotten to really mess with one on my own terms before. I am very happy with the sound of the Recto Pre thru the 2:90 though.

20. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    I've had my triaxis for about 5 or so years now, and still love it. I like how it doesn't really do recto, but i actually prefer what it does. Mine also seems to be a very very old one. Anyway, everything sound wise has been said, so it just leaves me to say that it's an excellent unit, although not as rugged as i'd like, even though it's survived falling, in a heavy rack, onto the floor from a 4 foot drop (it killed it, but only loosened a cable allegedly)

Very good sounds, very versataille and the best thing i ever did for my playing!