Got an amazing deal on a bunch of gear... But I feel...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by elkoki, Jan 1, 2018.

1. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Kind of guilty. Am I posting in the wrong section? Or is this even a topic we are allowed to discuss on here?

I was browsing the local ads for anything guitar related that I could buy. and I come across this post with a picture of a pedal board and nothing else. I see he has a reverb pedal i'd like to buy, I ask him how much? and we agree on $40. It seemed like a good deal to me, not a WHOA kind of deal but decent. So we agree to meet up, I arrive at our meet up, and I nearly leave because he took probably 30 mins to show up. When he arrives, i'm kind of excited because i'm thinking "ok well if he's selling a reverb for $40, lets see what else he has"... He pulls out a pedal board full of pedals and some not so amazing but decent guitar. I'm pretty excited. At first he's like "give me $200 for the guitar". I tell him honestly I don't know what brand it is, I really didn't, it had no name or anything on the head stock. So I say i'll give you $100 for the guitar and $40 for the reverb. So he's cool with it. I'm ready to make the deal..

then he says take it ALL for $200. If I had $200 I would've given it to him, but I didn't..so instead we agree that he would take 3 of the pedals off the board and I could have everything for $170. I'm staying as cool as possible but inside I was like YES YES YES. In the end I walked away with like 8 QUALITY pedals, a board, a guitar, case and a couple of cables...

The guy didn't know what he was selling at all... Or maybe he did and he just wanted gone. He told me a friend owed him a lot of money and had paid him up in gear. He also had another "really nice" guitar but he wasn't going to sell it because he gave it to his uncle....

Anyway...I feel kind of guilty..... Because.....well I just do.....

Would you...?

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

:worth:
    How can one judge the level of guilt without seeing the goods?

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Something about that kinda sounds sketchy. Kind of a scenario of "He owed me a bunch of money, so I paid myself back." ie, I took some of his shit and am selling it for money. I'm not sure, but buying stolen shit might be illegal. Or at the very least, bad karma.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Honestly, I don't really care about seeing pics. I'm slightly concerned that it's a situation where someone's selling stolen shit.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Does seem like a strange scenario for sure

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

That gear sounds hot. Nothing to really feel guilty about though -- you don't know for sure he stole it, and in the moment you paid him what he felt it was worth.

If you still feel bad about it though, call the police and see if anything was reported. Either way it turns out, you'll feel better.

elkoki likes this.
  7. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Yeah sounds suspiciously like the stuff was probably stolen...

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  8. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Yeah, that's why I have some guilt. I'll never truly know where he got all the stuff from. He was clueless about all of it, he didn't know what anything was. The only thing he knew was that the guitar was modified. That's the only thing that makes me think , ok well maybe he did get this stuff off someone else, because how would a non- guitar player know when a guitar is modified?

9. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

That or what are the odds the pedals even work ? It does sound kind of shifty when someone just says give me "x" dollars for "everything". Personally, I think people go for 'private sales' (ie Craigslist/buy-sell sites, etc.. ) is because they'll get more than they would at a pawn shop or music store. So if they're willing to take even less than what the stores will offer them, it's definitely a red flag.

10. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Yeah it was all just weird.

The pedals all worked. I think many people in this exact situation would probably take the stuff for the same price if that's all the money they had on them as well.. I mean the right thing would've been to not buy it ? Maybe?. But I don't think i'm wrong in saying most guitar players would've been tempted and taken the deal

11. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Did I miss where it was mentioned what kind of gear this was? Did OP walk away with a bunch of ibanez soundtanks and a no name guitar? Maybe the price was in line?

12. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Well I guess now you can look at my list, and do some web searches online to see if there's any lists of stolen gear that match up..... I actually did browse for a couple of days to see if I could find any stolen gear posts.

I actually got 7 pedals, not 8....a HOF mini, Zakk Wylde Wah, TC electronic overdrive, Tuner pedal, Dunlop smart gate, Ernie ball volume pedal, a Jackson guitar with Dimarzio & Seymour duncan pickups. a case and some Pedal train pedal board. I forget what the other pedal was.

Not like I really had to mention all that stuff... I'm a dumb ass but not a complete dumb ass... a simple google search would tell me what the stuff is worth more or less. OFC there's people out there that over price shit because they're clueless about their worth, but OFC anyone who has any sort of experience with gear, would know all the stuff is worth more than $170.

13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, it sounds like either he needed quick cash for drugs, or it's stolen. Don't check online for stuff. Just call the local PD and see if there are any reports for stolen guitar things. Tell them you're considering buying some stuff, and want to make sure it's not "hot." I wouldn't tell them you have it, and take it down there, because for all I know they'd confiscate it, and keep it as evidence. (And, they don't investigate, because property crimes are waaaay too low priority).

Spinedriver likes this.
  14. Spinedriver

True, but like CMTD said, there's a difference between getting a bunch of MXR & TC pedals for $170 than getting some Strymon, Earthquaker, Wampler, etc... a SINGLE one of those usually sells for more than $170 used, let alone several of them. But yeah, it does seem more like someone was just kinda desperate for cash & got what he could. If it were 'higher end' pedals, like the ones I had mentioned, then checking with the local PD would have been a good idea.
    It's like a youtube video I saw a while ago where a gaming shop was buying a card collection from some lady and it turns out it was stolen from someone that frequented the store. In the end, they said that it was worth probably between $600-$700 but they low-balled it out of her for $150 because she had absolutely no clue what they were worth. They then called up the guy who they were stolen from & just gave them all back to him. The moral of the story is that if someone is offering $1,000 worth of stuff for less than $200, be very wary.

15. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

This is the same situation as my gear theft this October. The guy that got in contact with me thru 2 different people on FB got my stuff cause a kid guy owed him money (drugs) but he knew they had to be hot. So his friend went looking and saw one of my shared posts about my stolen guitars. It took a month of tracking the guy down and getting him to answer the phone, but I drove down into the hood in Akron and got our stuff back. The only way you ever get your shit back is thru good Samaritans, never the police. I even called the detective bureau and left 3 messages saying I located a guy that had my property, and they never called me back. I finally walked into Portage County Sheriffs office and talked to a shift LT and told him what I did and he scolded me saying I probably blew the case on the guy. I said thanks/no thanks I got my shit back have a nice day!

The sheriff that showed up to the call originally stopped by after hearing what happened and apologized for the shift LT's demeanor, saying "those guys have a flair for the dramatic" lol. He took some pictures of my band/barn/studio inside and graduated the guy up a couple more felony levels by classifying it as "living quarters" since it was furnished. Dude got a couple extra years tacked on. He had already been picked up in a warrant sweep for not registering as a sex offender shortly after the burglary... because I told the cops where to find him. I found out thru some people where he was hiding. All this happened cause my daughter's shady friend invited some boys while she was staying over unbeknownst to me. Three guys around 20 hanging out with 15 year old girls. Gee, wonder how one of them caught a sex offender case.

Spinedriver likes this.
  16. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Yeah it wasn't any boutique stuff. but they weren't danelectro pedals either. it could be that the guy wanted quick cash . I've seen many cases like that . priced cheap in a moment of need .. I got a Yamaha acoustic for $20 like that just this week . it was worth at least $70 but she wanted quick cash that very moment to go shopping at Walmart..lol

17. Spinedriver

Reminds me of a story on the local news from a town about an hour & 1/2 away. Two kids were vacationing with their parents when someone broke into the family van & stole their guitars. The news aired a story about it & local shop owners offered to replace them but they declined saying that it wasn't about money (they had others back home), it was more about sentimental value. A month or two later a lady went into a local pawn shop there to try & sell one of them when the shop owner recognized it. She claimed that she got it from someone else & had no idea it was stolen, so she returned a little while later with the other one & said she got it from the same person she got the 1st one from. The point being is that, as you said, "good samaritans" are far more effective at getting stolen instruments back than hoping law enforcement will get them back.

The point is that

op1e likes this.