Got a big boy job!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MikeH, Jul 30, 2012.

1. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Went out today on a job shadowing for a marketing company and came home with a new job. Essentially what I'm doing at this point is training to become an entry-level manager. What my day will consist of for the next 3-5 months will be networking with both commercial and residential customers of Duke Energy and getting them to opt for Duke to use Direct Energy as their main provider. As some people know, Duke was a monopoly prior to 2005, and with government action in 2005 they were broken up. And they got to decide whether they wanted to be the creator of the energy and sell it to companies to distribute, or if they wanted to be a distributor. They chose to be a distributor, so now they shop 6 or 7 different energy companies every month to bring you your energy. And when they do that, the rate fluctuates. So what we do for Direct Energy is say "hey, you can eliminate all of the fees you're getting charged every month for Duke shopping for other energy and get a consistent flat rate with us." And the way that we make our money from that is by, instead of Duke giving the 7 companies 1 dollar each for their service, they give us all 7 dollars. And we make revenue off of that while saving people money. So it's a really easy service to market. After that, I work my way into an assistant manager's position, where I'm basically working in an office for someone else as their right hand. And then finally I'll be promoted to an executive, where I'll be running my own branch. And I know a lot of people are against commission-based jobs, but the way I see it is that I try it for a while and see how well I'm doing. If I don't think it's something I can excel at, I end up where I was yesterday looking for a job. I'm pretty confident in my ability, though. And that's not even out of arrogance or cockiness. The girl I shadowed today was pretty, but she didn't pitch well. And she still got 4 closings, which are $30 a piece. And I didn't even do anything and still convinced someone to do it. Plus I look damn good in my work swag :cool::
    [​IMG]

But I'm pretty excited about it. Like I said, I'm not going to go by every figure of money they give me, just because they spice it up to pull people in that they want working for them, but I'm going to give it a college try and see where it goes.

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Commission based jobs are the best, the only people that complain about them are ones who cannot sell for shit.

Also, you look really young man, I always thought you had a few years on me? :lol:

3. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I'm only 20, dude! How old did you think I was? :lol:

4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

oh you look way younger :lol:

5. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Yeah, I usually have a bit of scruff to my face. But I decided to clean up for the interview. If I could grow a real beard, I'd let it grow out again. But not until it comes in full.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

It must be a generational thing, but if someone told me 10 years ago that in the future everyone would have their picture taken in their bathroom I would have laughed. :lol:
    What is that you're wearing on your head there? I can't tell if it's a beanie or a cap or what.

[​IMG]

7. explosivo

explosivo SS.org Regular

I would totally buy energy from you if you showed up to my door dressed like that!

8. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

It's where the mirror is!

Also, this:
    [​IMG]

It's a flat cap. :yesway:

9. -42-

-42- Nothing to see here

Fix that collar son! :lol:

Congratulations man, more money means more gear.

10. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I have a bit of catching up to do in my savings before I start buying gear. But it will be glorious when I save for a new 7. Really aiming for an RG927QM. Demz purty.

11. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

Congrats. Now use this as a stepping stone to find an even better job.

12. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Congratulations on the new job as a news boy in the 1930's. :lol:
    Seriously though, congrats man, sounds like it'll be pretty awesome.

13. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

Congrats! Now Workaholics that shit!

14. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Well, I don't smoke weed. And I live with my girlfriend. And I don't really work in a cubicle. :lol:

[​IMG]

15. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

Money rocks !! :D It lets you buy pretty gear!!