Got a 5150 stealth on the way..

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Municipalrestart, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Municipalrestart

Municipalrestart SS.org Regular

So far I've gotten them down to 1800 on a new stealth. I loved the 50 watt when I had them but at this rate i got a stealth for the same price as the 100 so i see myself keeping it. I did find the 5150 block letter combo on cl for 450 so if that's still available by next check ill pick that up to. So the stealth blue channel is more aggressive then the 50? I loved the raw sound on that thing

Blytheryn likes this.
  2. Municipalrestart

Hows the clean channel? I keep reading its impossible to get a solid clean tone are people just exaggerating?

3. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

To be completely honest, I've never even tried the clean channel, it's only on like as soon as the amp turns on, then I smash the button on the red channel and forget everything. :lol:

prlgmnr likes this.
  4. Municipalrestart

Got my stealth today. Still forming an opinion on it to be honest. I domt feel as excited about it as i was when i got the 50 watt. I like the red channel on this one more, the cleans are perfectly fine i domt know what people are bitching about online, cleans with the gain turned all the way up is a awesome little crunch but the blue channel is what I loved most about the 50 and im not feeling it on this one. It sounds reallt dark and doesnt have the same attack that my 50 did and the blue channel was my favorite part of thw evh.

Blytheryn likes this.
  5. Blytheryn

I've never tried a 50, are you saying it's brighter? The blue channel on the Stealth has been reworked to be more similar to the red channel. I think it's a lot punchier though, great for thrash.

Municipalrestart likes this.
  6. Municipalrestart

Definitely brighter for sure. I may need to big an attenuator though before i make a final decision. This thing has a ton of low end I urned the resonance completely down and I'm starting to find some tones that i like.

7. Municipalrestart

Doing the light mod now haha. Oh it came with a cracked 5150 logo too :(

Blytheryn likes this.
  8. Blytheryn

That's a bummer, exchanging it is out of the question?

9. Municipalrestart

I can exchange it for a different amp. They don't get more stealths in till october but im not that worried about the logo. I want to spend some time with it im liking it more and more. Plus it looks bad ass haha

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  10. Municipalrestart

Ah it wont let me post pics says the image file it too large. The less look great though

11. Municipalrestart

So you're going to think im crazy or indecisive but holy shit I love this amp haha. I don't know the first time i fired it up it just sounded kinda cold and lifeless. No idea why but yeah spunds great now. Still wish there was a little more attack on the blue channel but much better then the first time

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  12. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Maybe the tubes are "burning in?" Or maybe speakers are breaking in if they were new?

13. Municipalrestart

Yeah they are both brand new. I got the cab a few days before the head because zzounds likes to play with my emotions so i hooked a cheap solid state up to it and played for a few hours to try and get some kinda break in. This is only the second brand new tube amp I have gotten so i don't know. Youre probably right. Kinda dissapointed in the mexon though i barely hear any difference with the amp. I liked my east river drive way more.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  14. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

If your cab is like proper factory new, the sound is going to change alot over the next weeks/months. New speakers tend do be really harsh and sterile in the beginning. You could borrow a used cab from someone for a day and see if that makes any difference to you? Or maybe you simply don't like the cab altogether. Was the 50W you played hooked up to the same cab your stealth is now?

15. Municipalrestart

No I had a randall cab from the 80s that went with the rg80s. I think the speakers were celestion 70/80s. I actually am really liking the tone I get from it now. My only complaint is I liked the blue channel on the 50 watt more still. Now it sounds really really similar to the red i can't even really tell the difference between the 2. With the 50 watt it sounded like i had two different amps and i could get any tone I wanted.

16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I absolutely hate how cabs sound the first couple months you own them. I suggest playing as loud as you can get away with in order to really get the cones moving and get the speakers to relax as they break in. Once you get em to do that, everything sounds better, the tone controls seem less limited (by that I mean you can use them more from 0-10 without the amp sounding like shit for most of the range), and everything gels a little better.

17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yeah, you're not even hearing the amp the way it's supposed to sound yet. New speakers take 25+ hours of loud playing to begin sounding how they're supposed to. I remember when I first installed an Eminence Governor in my 6505+ 112. After a couple hours of playing I was almost ready to box it up and send it back, it sounded so shrill and scratchy without nearly enough low end. Well, after 25 hours I started to hear what all the fuss was about. Then 50 hours in it really came to life. It wasn't until about 100 hours of playing that it finally settled into its final tone -- a badass tone at that.

Best thing to do if you have a looper pedal is to play a variety of riffs, then set it to just play itself for hours at a time and walk away. You may need to put some blankets over the cab, haha.

18. Municipalrestart

Dude that is a really good idea i think ill do that. It will break in the tubes too right? I read a few places the g12h30s are notorious for taking a ridiculously long time to break in.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2017
  19. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

If you are coming from the 50 watt, it sorta makes sense that the Stealth would seem cold and lifeless. I found the 50 watt to definitely be more polite and a lot warmer than the Stealth. The Stealth is a metal fucking machine, and comes REALLY close to the Peaveys in regards to aggressiveness...which gives it that "colder" nature that you are talking about. Once you get used to it, though, its hard to go back. At least for me. I need something super tight and punchy, which is something I felt the 50 watt lacked compared to other amps.

Blytheryn likes this.