Got a 5150 stealth on the way..

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Municipalrestart, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Municipalrestart

Municipalrestart SS.org Regular

And I'm starting to wonder if I should've just went with the 50 watt? I expect all the evh's to sound some what similar but are these pretty much the same amp. I've owned a few of the 50 watters and I loved them but was gassing (the fuck does that even stand for?) Hard for the stealth. Anyone upgraded to the stealth with no regrets? Any opinions would be much appreciated!

feraledge, rexbinary and Blytheryn like this.
  2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

gear acquisition sydrome? But yea, I'm sure you'll love it - those, and especially the EL-34 variants sound fantastic. Wouldn't worry about the wattage too much.

Municipalrestart likes this.
  3. Municipalrestart

Thanks for replying man. I was thinking about the el34 version first but had a hard time finding very good metal demos on it and I don't have a way of playing one myself.

Blytheryn likes this.
  4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I went from Marshall MG10 to the 6L6 Stealth... It's an absolute beast of an amplifier, and can be run really quiet as well. The Stealth has even more gain, and I believe a tighter bass control on the blue and red channels.

5. Municipalrestart

Nice dude! That's a major upgrade haha. I had to sell my kemper recently due to some legal issues and Ive always wanted a stealth so I'm giving it a shot. I just would be bummed if its really really similiar to the 50. What cab are you playing through?

Blytheryn likes this.
  6. Blytheryn

I can say that the only reason I have it is because the shop I got it from essentially gave it to me, and credit cards. :lol:

I'm playing it through an EVH 5153 2x12. It's not rated for a 100W amp head (60W), but since I don't crank the amp above 1 in my apartment there's no real problem. You get so much tone at low volumes it's insane. I could be mistaken, but I think the Stealth is voiced a little differently, the blue channel is much more similar to the red channel and also has increased gain.

I jam on the blue channel sometimes just for sake of variety, and then stomp on the red channel and just get blown away. It's awesome.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Why are you concerned with having the extra wattage over the 50w?

8. Municipalrestart

Im not concerened about the wattage. I'm just concerned if the two amps are that similar if i just wasted money on the stealth and shouldve just went with the 50 watt ya know?

9. Municipalrestart

That is awesome bro that's the same exact set up in getting. I ordered led lights to put inside the amp too. Make it look a little more evil haha. I also ordered a boost from the demos ive heard I won't need it but aince in doing the 12 payments on zzounds mite as well break the pedal up so its only 8 bucks a month.

Blytheryn likes this.
  10. Blytheryn

I'm actually seriously considering spray painting the grill (not the stripes) fluorescent green to match my ESP Formula's color scheme. :lol:

You really don't need a boost, unless you crave that ultra modern tight tone, set up the resonance right and you're good to go. Doesn't stop me from wanting a Fortin Grind though!

11. Municipalrestart

Man i hear that! I was just saying in another post i wanna try a grind. I just domt wanna drop the dough haha. And the green grill sounds bad ass. I got the led lights off amazon for 15 bucks and there's a shit ton of colors you can change from a remote so im going to stick them inside and do red or lime green kinda like kirk hammits. What esp do you have?

Blytheryn likes this.
  12. Blytheryn

These.
    [​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  13. Municipalrestart

Goddamn that's bad ass. Are those black winters?

Blytheryn likes this.
  14. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Depends on what you consider a waste. They aren't so different that the stealth is a must have over the other. Every 5150 III iteration has a little more gain and a slightly different voicing. I had one of the first 100 waters and it was pretty tame compared to the other variants. But honestly the stealth is a killer amp. And not one everyone is going to have. I would say if you use mostly the red channel you may never realize the benefits. But if you rock the blue channel you may find yourself glad you made the switch.

15. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Here's a video with Joe Duplantier of Gojira with an El34 version of the 5150 III.

16. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Man, really want to hear the showdown between this and the peavey invective!

jimmyp1, Deadpool_25 and Blytheryn like this.
  17. Municipalrestart

Yeah i seen that one. I mean more like a plau through demo I guess. Like the last part of olas video on the original stealth. I saw one guy has one and he plays metal on it but it sounds kinda weird I think its the mic placement or maybe its a camera phone. Great player just sounded kinda funny.

18. Municipalrestart

I thought abour that amp afterwards but I'm kinda limited to whatever zzounds has. Plus something minda turns me off abour that amp i don't know why haha. I feel like for a grand less id rather just take a 6505 and put my own boost in front of it. I'm sure it sounds great though cant wait to hear more of it.

Blytheryn likes this.
  19. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

I had a Stealth very briefly, about 2 weeks before I returned it to GC. Sounded fucking GREAT!! But I also have a Peavey 5150 212 combo, and I dialed them in to sound identical...so no point in keeping the $1500 version of my $300 amp haha.

Also owned a 50 watt head for a few months. It was great, but the Stealth is more aggressively voiced. I found the 50 watt to have somewhat polite mids compared to the Peavey 5150s, which I have been playing for like 10 years and have owned 9 of...

20. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Plus the 5150 combo is already stealthed out and looks intimidating.