Good resources/materials/exercises to improve playing

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by JesusTakeTheWheel, Apr 29, 2018.

1. JesusTakeTheWheel

JesusTakeTheWheel SS.org Regular

Hey guys hope you're all doing well.

I'm just wondering if any of you know any books,websites, anything really to just practice. Could be anything honestly, Legato, tapping, trills, alt/hybrid picking, theory, rhythmic exercises, just something that I can add to my limited time of practice (1 hour) due to work + other life things I'm sure most of you guys understand and go through.

I try to do 15 min of chord changes to a metronome with a simple I IV V progression (I mix up the progression of course) 15 min theory, 15 min scales, 15 min freestyle of either practicing a song, or soloing over a progression with a looper. I try to stick to this but I usually end up noodling (I lack discipline )

As far as personal knowledge goes I know my major and min chords + their 5 voicings thanks to the CAGED system along with some Dom/Maj7/min7. I use the CAGED system to find roots and I know the 5 scale patterns associated with them. I know intervals and about constructing chord triads with them. As far as modes go I'm slowly learning the intervals that make each mode unique.

I've seen people try to explain it in terms of whole and half steps but the R m2 3 P4 vocabulary makes my head hurt less.

Anyways I want help finding exercises to practice everything that helps the hands stay in sync and make nasty love to each other so that I can add it to my practice routine.

Sorry for the long post and if you read it all, you are a beast.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  2. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Read it all and I am also interested in what others have to recommend as have reached kind of a dead end to this myself. Questioning whether this or this would have a good/bad/neutral impact on my playing and technique

3. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

If you only have 1 hour of time to play guitar a day, I would focus more on enjoying the instrument.

This is just my thought, but from what you have said, you have a good deal of understanding on the instrument.

Start putting that time into playing and really getting intimate with what you already know :2c: :)

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Play with people way better than you, be humble.