Good poweramp for Axe-Fx??

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TravisMontgomery, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery SS.org Regular

I'm getting one of these soon, and was wondering what type of poweramp I should get. I can't spend a whole lot on one, so I was thinking maybe a SS poweramp would work?

2. Minoin

Minoin Scientist

My first choice would be a VHT 2502 I guess. But if don't have that much to spend, I'd say a Peavey 50/50.

3. thebhef

thebhef King....of....Mountn Contributor

I would think you'd want a hi-fi amp. You're modeling the power amp with axe-fx, too. No reason to bother with tubes as far as I can imagine. It'll just color your tone more. Same with guitar speakers. PV, QSC and Crown are all pretty good amps. The RMX series from qsc seems pretty solid to me. There are some inexpensive QSCs and PV's on MusiciansFriend.

4. Crucified

Crucified Deathgrind Maniac

if you're spending big money of the preamp, don't skimp on the power side. tube power is where it's at.

5. eegor

eegor Theoretical Reality

Carvin?

6. Anton

Anton Death Squad

Stupid quetion: I'm thinking of getting the Axe Fx aswell, can I just connect it to a cab and that's it? Or I need a power amp?

7. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

if your doing solidstate i'd go with a mackie, if your doing tubes a peavey 50/50 would be fine

8. 7 Strings of Hate

you have to have a power amp

9. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check out Mackie and Carvin power amps. I've read about a lot of people using Carvin with their Axe Fx's, so I'm leaning towards those.

10. Anton

Anton Death Squad

Sorry for the newbie question but why do I have to have a poweramp? for the AxeFx or for the cab?
    If I have a amp head I dont need the power amp right?

11. 7 Strings of Hate

^ an amp head has a pre amp AND a power amp in the same box, when you buy the axe fx your just getting a pre amp, you have to have a power amp to amplify the signal to the cabinet. you could still plug into the axe and listen through headphones if it has a jack for it but thats all you could do with out the power amp

so yea, if you have an amp head you'll probably have a jack that lets you bypass its preamp and use an outboard pre amp and us the power section of the head

12. march

march SS.org Regular

You can go straight from the AxeFx to active speakers, or you can hook it up to either a solid state/tube power amp, through either regular guitar speakers cabinet or FRFR* passive speakers.

Depending on the setup you will either have to activate the mic modeling and cabinet simulation (in a FRFR setup), or deactivate it (with guitar speakers).

So, afaik:

AxeFx > PA FRFR active speakers
    AxeFx > FRFR tube-driven speakers (ex: Traynor K2)
    AxeFx > tube power amp > guitar speakers cab
    AxeFx > solid state power amp > guitar speakers cab
    AxeFx > solid state power amp >passive FRFR PA speakers

* FRFR - Full Range Flat Response. This means the combined amp and speaker system covers the full range of hearing (20Hz to 20KHz) and that the response is flat over this range. Guitar tones only produce sound over a range of about 50HZ to 10KHz.

13. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

if i had an axe fx i would probably go with clean solidstate poweramp. the axe fx models the poweramp as well as the preamp, so i would try to get a poweramp that doesn't color the tone.

14. Anton

Anton Death Squad

Ok this is clear,So another question I see for example someone is using a invader 100>axe fx>Cab
    Why would some one want 2 preamps(head+axe fx) and is it possible to connecet and use both the same time from the same cab?(or the head power amp is powerfull enough for both)
    I confused couse I see people use preamps and heads toghether I want to understand how do they work together and how does it contribute to sound?

Thanks for the explenation :D

15. 7 Strings of Hate

^ if you really like the tone of the preamp your head has in it and you want to use of effects(because most amp head pre amps dont have effects in them), then you can plug a pre like the axe fx into your effects loop(or the front of the amp but most people dont care to do that) and just use the axe for effects and get your distortion and clean guitar tones from the actual amp heads' pre amp still.

16. Anton

Anton Death Squad

Ok this start to make some sense,If I have a head and a preamp and the heads distortions isnt heavy enough or whatever for me,I can add some heavines and boost to it throw a preamp right?

17. 7 Strings of Hate

basically, OR, if you didnt like your distorted tone out of the head, you could just put your head on its clean channel, put that channels eq flat(12 o'clock) and use the other pre's distortion and just use the power from the head.
    in the situation i just described it would make more sense to sell the head and just buy a power amp.

is that you in your avatar pic? if so your a big mofo man:lol:

Anton likes this.
  18. Anton

Anton Death Squad

Yeah that's me :D LOL

Well everything makes sense now,Thanks!
    I see that alot of people on the forum use Invaders and axe fx...I thought they use seem both together the same time...and not each separately that's why I had a big mess in my head

19. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

For SS amps, check out Carvin. Reasonably priced & tons of clean power. I'm using a DCM1500 power two 2x12 cabs (300w @ 8 ohms per side).

20. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

I think there has been a little bit of misuse of the word "preamp" here. In a head, the preamp is the part of the amp that shapes the tone (including adding gain) before it's amplified by the power amp and sent to the speakers. A preamp isn't really an effect per se. The Axe-FX isn't a preamp really. It's a multi-fx unit with amp modeling. Of course you can turn off the effects and power amp and cab sims to use it in effect as a preamp, but to refer to the Axe-FX as a preamp is a little misleading. It's more along the lines of a GT-X or a POD, only much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.