Good Metal Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by LAWDVishwajeet, May 12, 2017.

1. LAWDVishwajeet

LAWDVishwajeet SS.org Regular

Hi guys, i am currently using a fender 1 amp and am looking to upgrade to something better. My price range is about 500USD (NEW), i am a bedroom player mainly, so don't need much on the volume side. I like simple amps, 3-4 channels at most​, the fender had 21 and i really came to dislike that. I also prefer something i almost never have to connect to my computer, i just dislike that and with time, i just stop doing that at all, like with my fender. I have no strict preference between tube or solid state, but then again, i havent played a tube until now. The guitar i am currently using is an ibanez grg140 but i'll soon be upgrading to a Schecter Hellraiser or something similar.

To give you an idea of the sound i like, i'll just list some of my favourite artists some of which i play and some of which i will play in the future; Dream Theater, Opeth, Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Insomnium, Dawn of Solace, Vinnie Moore, Gary Moore, Jason Becker, Behemoth, Nargaroth, Gojira, Jeff Loomis, Conquering Dystopia.

Thanks in Advance

2. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

Some tube combos in that price range to look at:
    Egnater Tweaker Series
    Blackstar HT Metal
    Fender Bassbreaker plus some pedals
    Marshall DSL40 (depending if you can find a deal)

If you can find a cheap 1x12 or 2x12 you could go head too:
    EVH LBX
    H&K Tubemeister
    Jet City does some great Soldano like Heads on a budget
    Orange Drak/Tiny Terror
    Joyo Mjolnir

All of those are solid, tried and tested amps that can either deliver metal on their own or with a boost/TS style Pedal. There are many more options though!
    If you only play at home, 5 watts of tube power is well enough to shake some walls! So don't be to focused on the power output.
    Also, make sure to try some amps. While they all will do metal to some extend, they sound vastly different. It's so much a question of what tones you like (i personally don't like orange or 5150/6505's, this doesn't mean they aren't great amps...).

3. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

With the upcoming plugin version of Helix, that might be the answer. Well assuming whatever you're posting on the internet with has enough horsepower.

4. domsch1988

He explicitly asked for something he doesn't "have to plug into a computer" :shrug:. For 500$ there are great software and VST Solutions out there :yesway: If this is indeed an option for OP i'd strongly advise looking into that.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

When I was in your shoes, I went to a brick and mortar shop to try out every amp I could find. It annoyed the salesman a lot until I dropped a few grand on a Dual Recto with a pair of 412 cabs. These days, with most goods being peddled online, it's getting more difficult to try stuff out, but honestly, I think that's the only way to find a piece of gear that fits you just right.

6. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Sorry, I'm not here to be helpful, I just found this hilarious for some reason and felt the need to share.

To actually try and contribute, I believe if you are looking for a metal amp, before you do anything else you need to determine if you want a 6505 :lol:. They're dirt cheap and they're the industry standard for a reason. If you're looking for an amp for modern metal and don't have one specific tone in mind, a 6505 or some variant is probably your best bet.

7. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Yamaha G30 (upgrade the speaker to a V30 for an even more metal sound), and an Empress Heavy pedal (or Amptweaker Tight metal for that matter). I used to be against distortion pedals, until I heard these.

8. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Boss Katana, but i really is more simple to edit on a computer. Especially parametric Eq.

9. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

In regards to the joyo Mjolnir specifically; i have one and don't care much for the OD channel, mostly (though it sounds much better when you patch-cable the fx loop and control the volume using the trim pot on the back). The best sound i've gotten out of it thus far is using a Blackstar HT-Dist (the tube brick pedal) into the clean channel.

It takes all pedals pretty well but for whatever reason tube pedals (& maybe rackmount tube preamps) just seem to sound the best through it.
    My advice to anyone considering the super-cheap option is maybe to get a Blackstar HT-Metal over the Mjolnir...
    Unless plan to use a lot of different tube-based preamps, in which case the Mjolnir's clean channel is supremely useful for this.

Kinda makes everything you use through it sound like a mesa boogie though :p
    Not a bad thing mind you; plenty of times i feel like i 'should' buy a more expensive setup, but what can i say? It just sounds good at any volume, records extremely well through a V30 & is a very versatile clean channel.
    Provided you got the right toys to run through it (i am seriously considering an 80's-early 90's rackmount binge...)

10. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Katana gets rave reviews.

11. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

I bet a boosted fender bassbreaker could do the trick. Not exactly a metal amp per se but definitely versatile, also pretty close to your price range.

12. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

I'll vouch for the H&K Tubemeisters. I've got the 18 and 20 Deluxe. Both have a fantastic amount of gain and tone. If you need it more aggressive, just throw some high gain JJ's in them.

13. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

id say shop used and find an
    - ehx 44magnum poweramp,
    - an amptweaker tightmetal jr/AMT legend
    - cheap 1x12 cab.

Maybe a mini tubescreamer. Or another simple alternative would be one of those tiny hotone mesa rec clone amps and a cheap 1x12 cab

14. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

For $500 new it maybe hard to get a head and cab, I'd also consider the Blackstar HT5R or a VHT Special 6 Ultra which has a 12" speaker.

I owned the VHT Special 6 Ultra and liked it a LOT. Hand wired and sound great and had plenty of gain on tap, fx loop, the boost can also be engaged by the footswitch, it had a ettenuator, you can hook up a external cab and there is a half wattage swtich. Also, you can run nearly any power tube in it, including a KT88 which I confirmed by discussing with VHT and getting feedback from the tech.

They're great affordable amps that you can get for $400 new.

I'd still encourage going used and picking up a 6505MH and a used 1x12 cab.

15. Kingcrimson

Kingcrimson Electra Glide

Crème de la Crème!

Doesn't get any better.

Attached Files:

16. domsch1988

I think you may have overread the budget :lol:

17. Kingcrimson

Hey my friend I'm so very sorry. I didn't in any sense want to come off as patronizing.

I'm by no means $$$ rich, but when it comes to electric guitar tone (at least for me) I'm unable to compromise. I've been called by some of my musical colleagues the "Audio Cork Sniffer". After many years of fidgeting around with various rigs and performing countless gigs I've just got to go big or go home.

Herbie and me have been best buddies and together since 2006 and I've gone through the plethora of all the boutique rock amps I could find (you name it, I've owned it/played on it) and out of all of them Mr. Peter Diezel just nailed it on the head for me. In the end it was and still is well worth the $$$ investment. It's like buying new tires - you want re-treads or you want Michelin or something in-between?

Just for the record, if your focus is primarily "metal", you might take a peak at the Eddie Van Halen 5150 III 100W head. It's like a poor-man's Diezel Herbert and the tone is not bad and sports a very reasonable price tag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXorSYxmfMM

Good luck brother!

18. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Have You played Diezel D-moll? If so, what do You think about it? Thanks in advance.

19. Kingcrimson

Hello Wolfhorsky.

I go way back with Peter, for decades, and he has my utmost loyalty when it comes to designing and building the finest custom boutique guitar amplifiers on this planet. Herbert is Peter's flagship guitar amplifier. Its simplicity is remarkably deceiving. Even after 11 years of owning and gigging countless performances with my Herbie, I'm still finding illusive tones and settings buried in and coming from him. I'm not a pedal board guy by any means as I would never want to tamper with my signal chain by altering and coloring my O/I to my Herbie rig.

Having written that entire minutia above, I've only owned my Diezel Herbie. However I've played all of his other guitar amplifiers (VH4, Einstein, Hagen, Paul, D-Moll and still waiting on the BIGMAX) and I cannot comment on any sub-par quality or otherwise about any of them. I play rock/hard rock/progressive rock and what you may reference as metal as the sole-solo rhythm and lead guitarist in my band “The Uncertainty Principals”. Peter wouldn't put any of his creations out to market unless he was 100% satisfied with its final production.

Wolfhorsky, to your question. If you want (in my opinion) the best and most versatile guitar amplifier on the market, and you’re on a strict budget I would say that the D-Moll is an excellent choice. As Peter describes the D-Moll, it’s a “Small box – but big sound. Herbert’s little brother.” And it has that signature Diezel modern look to it like the Herbert.

If you get the chance, give it a go as I promise you should be impressed with its massive and versatile tone and its price point.

Good luck.