Good metal amp for under $800?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by pwilldabeast14, Oct 24, 2010.

1. pwilldabeast14

pwilldabeast14 SS.org Regular

right now i have a vox valvetronix15 and an agile 8 string and i need a new amp!

im currently set on a peavey vypyr 60, i liked all the modeling and tube power. so is this a good amp for the money? because ive heard many mixed reviews

what are some other good choices? :shred:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If you have $800 to work with, and don't need effects, then look into a used Peavey 5150 and cab. That being said, if you want the advantages f modeling amps, look into a Vetta combo, as they can be found close to your price range, sound killer, and have proven themselves with ERGs.

3. Opeth666

Opeth666 SS.org Regular

5150... //thread

4. slayerrulesyo

slayerrulesyo SS.org Regular

Craigslist. You can find Mesa Rectifiers for about that low if you keep your eye out. If you want a combo:

As Max said...

Peavey 5150/6505 + combo
    Line 6 Vetta combo

If an amp is out of your price range, look on the used market. I bought my rectifier for 750 :D

5. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

6505/5150 (+), randall v2h, xxx/3120, Jsx, engl e530, vetta, carvin v3, off the top of my head.

6. pwilldabeast14

these are all good choices, mayb a little high for me, but i really need a good tone out of a resonably priced amp so i still can buy some effects

7. Jazzercize

Jazzercize SS.org Regular

personally ive used a 5150 stock, a couple randalls, mesa triple rec and my favorite by far is my engl e530 paired with my mesa 20/20. i can up the gain and mids and really thump out some heavy tunes or i can switch to its clean channel and lay down some super smooth and glassy jazz riffs. probly the most versatile amp ive used. although buying the pair would put you probly 100-200 dollars outside of your range its definitely something to think about IMO.

8. pwilldabeast14

hmm i looked it up and it was like almost 2 grand?

i just need an amp for around 500 so i can then buy effects and idont need a cab because its mainly for bedroom playing right now.
    thts why i thought the vypyr would be a combination of both my needs
    but i really need a solid tone for my 8 string

9. LacesOutTyler

LacesOutTyler SS.org Regular

Honestly, the Vypyr series are some really killer amps for both the quality of sound and the price range. A Vypyr combo definitely sounds like it will meet your needs.

However, "mainly bedroom playing" is good and "right now" is okay, but if you plan to start playing with a band even in the next 6 months to a year you'll really wish you just went ahead and got a good amp head and cab. This happened to me and I really wish I had been posting on this forum at that time so someone could have talked me out of my less expensive modeling amp decision :2c:

10. Randy

Randy !ǝɯ ʇɐ ʞooן Super Moderator

:yesway:

11. myampslouder

myampslouder SS.org Regular

5150/6505 is good choice, Could look into a bugera but i dont know much about their reliability. used Randalls are dirt cheap and i've gotten great tones from them.

12. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Bugera reliability is fine - they had a bit of bad press due to issues early on but they're great value now. Other than that Vetta, 5150/6505 I guess. I'd go solid state but that's just me as I know the H&K/Ampeg/etc tones are acquired tastes :)

13. Despised_0515

Despised_0515 Bassist of Redivider Contributor

I scored my 5150II + 412 cab for just barely over your price range. I'm certain you can score a 5150 + 212 and be more than happy.

Keep looking and be patient. You'll score a great deal for sure. :yesway:

14. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

We played with a band the other night and a guy was using a Madison. It sounded brutal and I think they are around $800. Look into it. Otherwise, what they said.

15. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

Bugera. I have one and they are really good if you're looking for the 5150/6505 tone and you don't have to spend as much money.

16. xtrustisyoursx

xtrustisyoursx SS.org Regular

Buy my Mesa DC-5. 600 plus shipping and you'll have some money left over for a noise gate and boost pedal :D

17. warlock7strEMG

warlock7strEMG SS.org Regular

used 5150 and 212 cab. or even better 6505+ 112 combo. they arent particularly quiet but the do sound pretty good at bedroom levels, bein 60 watts they saturate little sooner. with an OD boost and the lead channel gain low, they sound great with low tuning. plenty tight and clear. they only run about $600 new, so u will have money leftover for pedals and whatnot

18. groph

groph surrounded by chairs

This. Not to jump on the "5150 /thread" bandwagon, but for that budget you could probably track one down and you'll get a great tone out of it. Also, I've never tried a Vetta, but they sound just as good as any other amp out there for metal. Planetary Duality by The Faceless is all Vetta, and Meshuggah used them for a couple of albums before switching to the Axe-Fx (IMO their tone didn't improve, either.) The Vetta is probably the best amp Line 6 makes, and the 5150 is probably the best amp Peavey makes, for that matter. At least for metal.

woops

19. pwilldabeast14

well a vetta would be sick but too pricey, the mesa dc5 seems to be out of production(im not sure), bugeras look nice but all i saw was like 120 watt heads, SO it looks like peavey may be for me.

although i still hve my eye on the vypyr ive looked into the 5150 combo which seems like a great choice. just one thing- after hearing many reviews of 5150 many have said the clean channel sucks, does anyone know for sure?