Good job, Boston Jury

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by ArtDecade, Apr 8, 2015.

1. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

These ....s will be regarded as martyrs whether they sit in prison for decades or are executed the minute they were found guilty. So to say he should be left alive so they don't get the satisfaction of martyrdom is silly.

The death penalty is a slippery slope. In cases like this where you have indisputable evidence against the accused and there is not a shred of doubt of their guilt on top of his cold, indifferent attitude shown in court, .... him. He should have been taken out and shot as soon as the verdict was passed. This wasn't a murder committed in the heat of the moment. He premeditated blowing up men, women, and children at what was probably a charity event.

But of course he'll get his appeals and draw it out for years, where more money will be spent to keep him alive each year than a lot of people in this country make.

2. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

Many laws are a slippery slope. We could probably both name 10-100 people who make the world a worse place by exercising their freedom of speech, who may have used it to incite violence and hatred. That a law can be exploited doesn't necessarily make the law bad, though it probably says a lot about the person exploiting it.

Having an appeals process for high profile court cases is extremely important, which we can kind of 'prove' in this case by asking ourselves how we'd feel if a different verdict had somehow been reached.

Probably more importantly, we have to allow him to appeal because it maintains our integrity. We have to do the right thing despite his actions. We don't achieve anything by punishing those that break society's rules by saying "fuck the rules; stand against that wall and see if you can count to ten before I shoot you in the head".

To your point on martyrdom, I think I'm convinced. It's ultimately irrelevant to the larger situation.

EDIT: I forget occasionally that this site censors us. Felt compelled to go back and make sure a fuck was given :)

3. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

A bit of a false dichotomy. If someone just decides "yeah, Ima blow up a bunch of innocent bystanders with a homemade bomb" then yes. Now, if I was talking about someone who smoked a doob illegally, I'd be off my rocker.

You can't have it both ways. If someone is THAT big a .... that they make everyone miserable (in a deathly way) then yes, THEY deserve torture and death.

4. michblanch

michblanch SS.org Regular

Good Riddance.

How much of a martyr can you truly be, when you blame it all on your brother?
    How can he get his virgins if he didn't take responsibility?
    Wouldn't his brother get double?
    Or does his brother just get the 72 he was promised?

These are issues he should have worked out ahead of time.

5. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

What he is is part of that "entitlement" idiot syndrome so many are.

6. estabon37

A dichotomy is a comparison between things that are represented as completely different from one another. The comparison being made was that torturing people is fairly similar to using explosives on people. You introduced the dichotomy in this post by comparing harsh punishments for minor drug offenses with harsh punishments for violent offences.

So, when you yet again state here that somebody deserves torture, you are claiming something that is directly comparable (in other words, not contrasting) to the claim that anybody deserves to be bombed.

In other words, the false dichotomy you claim to see in UnderTheSign's post is nonexistent, and the question is therefore legitimate. You chose not to respond to the question, and then double down on the claim in this post, so I guess I'll re-ask the question in UTS's place.

Is torturing a person to death not disgusting?

I'll add to the question.

Is torturing a person to death not a disgusting enough act that you would suggest such a crime deserved the death penalty?

I also have a request. Outline your thinking in detail, because this:

...doesn't really count as a reasonable claim (or, for that matter, a sentence) because you've made no attempt to support it with examples, evidence, comparisons, or any other form of reasoning.

This is not a personal attack (you've expressed frustration in another thread that suggests you think you're being slandered when others pick apart your posts). This is just a request that you support the claims that you are making.

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Whatever man. If you don't understand you're enemy (or at least *attempt* to grasp the bigger picture) then how can you understand what a suitable punishment or likely deterrent will be?

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

^ reminded me of Bill Maher's post 9/11 comment: "We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That’s cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it’s not cowardly."

9. michblanch

How about if we don't give credit to the terrorist for anything?
    But hey , it's America so if you want to see their point of view then more power to you.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This is such a terrible post I seriously considering removing it as trolling. I'll chalk it up to satire. ;)

All Narad is saying is that terrorists are smart enough to know they're probably going to die. Given the outcome of most attacks, that shouldn't be a ground breaking opinion to a reasonably intelligent person. He's not at all agreeing with or rationalizing or condoning thier beliefs or actions.

11. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Never quite understood the appeal of the "virgin" thing. Inexperienced? Potentially dangerously-bad with their hands? Too timid and self-conscious to do the real dirty stuff? Will tell you that you were "great" even though it's obvious that they have no point of reference? 72 of them? Is that really paradise?

12. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Even a well meaning virgin is frustrating. 72 of them raised in an anti-sex religion? I can only imagine how horrible that would be.

13. estabon37

Yeah, you're thinking of women that you would actually treat as human beings. I'm pretty sure the promise is for 72 unspoiled, essentially unresponsive dick receptacles, and to some people that is paradise.

14. MaxOfMetal

That right there.

It's no surprise they try to recruit young, socially awkward men and boys.

15. asher

asher So Did We

So instead of attempting to understand, thus being better empowered to fight the causes of extremism, we should engage in blind hatred just like them.

Cool.

16. michblanch

Never said our government or military should not investigate the way they think or process.
    Regarding blind hatred , how is hating people who commit terrorist acts blind?
    I don't blindly hate anyone. If I hate you its for a specific reason.
    And I think I have been given plenty of reasons to hate the 9/11 hijackers and those who commit terrorist acts.

So there is nothing blind here.

The comment was :
    Honestly give the terrorists some credit in knowing that death is the likely outcome for these actions -- to accomplish their goal and be immediately executed is probably the ideal, romanticized scenario, and unlikely to deter people serious enough to plot months, if not years, in advance.

There's a distinction between understanding and giving credit.
    Give them credit for what exactly?
    Knowing that death is the probable outcome of their act earns what type of credit? Credit for bravery? Credit for what being smart? Credit for being good at their jobs?

17. MaxOfMetal

You're reading so hard into that benign comment I can feel it all the way over here. :lol:

18. michblanch

Even if the death penalty is not enough of a deterrent to not commit the crime it is still suitable as the punishment in Tsarnev's case.

I don't view the death penalty as a deterrent to crime, it hasn't stopped it yet.
    It is the response with punishment to the crime.

19. asher

asher So Did We

His hard reading radius is over 1,200 (miles)!

yes, I did just open google maps to compare the distance from houstin-milwuakee to houston-c'ville...

To that above that appeared while I was typing:

"Death penalty is a disincentive!" was being used as a rationale for using it. It's a crappy rationale that doesn't stand up to evidence. I know *you're* not using it.

20. michblanch

So it's only trolling if it's an opinion you and Max disagree with?
    Ahhh. I understand now.