Good choice for Romney?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TRENCHLORD, Aug 11, 2012.

1. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I did not fail :lol:. I gave you several reasons without mentioning Obama.
    You just don't personaly like the reasons because they are the antithisis of YOUR beliefs/views.

And as for "everyone has to go off topic to rebuke your baseless claims", I say,
    Why? Can't you except that other people have opinions that differ from your's?
    If you feel the need to attempt to rebuke all my "baseless claims" that is fine, but I'd hardly say it's a "has to" thing.
    Maybe you take this internet discusion thing too seriously?:squint:
    Does it always have to be a debate?
    I've always assumed it was a discussion as much as a debate.
    It becomes a debate when people disagree, and then try to prove one another wrong.

I come on here and state my view, then am bombarded with post telling me how wrong they are, of which I select certain points which were used in attempt to invalidate my points,
    and I counter rebuke them.
    So I'm not sure what you expect really:scratch:
    Maybe you just don't like being disagreed with?

2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Definitely great points.

Getting black lung in a person's 50s is very shitty, but many guys are willing to sacrifice that in order to provide an honest unassisted living for their families.
    And just look at how many of those same guys are already commiting slow suicide by smoking habits anyways.
    Also,
    Don't they have much better respirator masks (I do understand how hot they are to wear, trust me lol) now to help prevent/slow down that?

As far as local enviorement, it's a reletively small region of the country, but it sucks if it's in your backyard 4sure.

As far as air pollution from burning it, haven't they made strides in burning it cleaner?
    Even if not, what are the emmisions of those same harmful gasses that are a problem in coal energy,, what are they from natural sources like volcanoes, natural fires, geysers, decomposition of organic matters, ect.,.?
    I've read them to be far greater from natural sources that are out of our control, but there is much conflicting data 4sure.

Nevertheless, we do need to use technology to wean ourselves off fossil fuels, although like most things there are often unforeseen conflicting compromises (in other words, alternative energy sources might eventually have their own negative effects).

I'm certain now isn't the time for job cutting though.
    We should make a national goal of being once again in the surpluss so we can begin to invest more into future energy technologies.
    I think the best way to get to that spot is to rebuild an economy that is lush and stable on the world stage.
    Which, is why I'm voting for Romney. (although it won't likely make any difference in Illinios lol)

3. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

I just wish we had that much time. Given the most current research, it looks like the main north ice formation will have split in the next four years. If that happens, we are all fucked as the permafrost will then be able to thaw, releasing tons of methane into the atmosphere, further accelerating the warming effect.

Seriously, there is every indication that will happen before we elect another president.

4. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Doesn't that kind of stuff happen on it's own though periodically, even sometimes in very rapid increments?
    Remember, just because it's melting at a pace unseen in the last so many thousand years, that doesn't really say much considering the even more extreme flucuations that have occured periodically over the earths lifespan.

We have definetly contributed to some degree, although to what degree we don't even know.
    I've seen so many documentaries on enviormental change and our possible influences on it, and there's still so much conflicting data relating to how much effect we've really had on the enviorement over the past couple centuries.
    It's interesting and scary, and if we've or nature has pushed it too hard in that direction, then I don't even think we could slow the momentum at this point, at least not to a signifigant degree.
    We might eventually have to give up a major chunk of the human global population in order to feed the masses.
    [​IMG]

5. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Yeah we burn clean coal in the states, that's why I added the word dirty to the China comment.

It is an improvement for sure, but still IMO unnecessary.

I'm not going to say clean energy doesn't have consequences as it does. Nuclear leaves behind dangerous waste, batteries in all devices will fill up landfills, the initial cost environmentally to make an electric car is pretty high, etc.

We have contributed and I agree the extent of that is unknown. Cows pollute just as much as we do supposedly. :lol:

Irrelevant to the extent we contribute or nature contributes I just don't understand why we rely so heavily on a finite energy source where most of it is located in conflict zones. Rational people would start looking for other sustainable solutions IMO. I do know why and it is because our economy is largely oil so they have zero incentive to get rid of it (still illogical though). The one thing you can always count on a politician to do is cover their ass.

SuperMutant likes this.
  6. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

That is a difference of opinion. Unfortunately that's not where discussions with you generally go; they generally go here:
    into the realm of claims with no factual backing (baseless claims); you do attempt to back them with plenty of ad hominem attacks though. Unfortunately your desire to reduce what actually happens in discussions with you to mere differences of opinion that some people are getting too worked up over doesn't make it so.
    It is generally a positive thing when claims like the latter are rebuked, hence why some of us actually take the time to show you where your viewpoints and reality diverge. Unfortunately when that happens you then take the easy way out and choose to fall back on your usual tactics of covering your ears while spewing ad hominems.

You seem to have no real interest in discussion despite being on a discussion forum, in actuality you seem to want to be able to put forward assertions, have them go unquestioned and then be able to claim a victory and pat yourself on the back. Tumblr, blogspot, wordpress and plenty of other sites would allow you to do that (provided you turned off the ability for others to comment). Unfortunately you've decided to attempt to do this in the politics and current events section of a discussion forum, a section where facts are relied upon more than in another section like "General Music discussion" or "Seven String Guitars".
    Seems to apply to you.

Also Flint, I'd just like to point out that there is no such thing as "clean coal", it is a fictional entity pushed entirely through an extensive marketing campaign and exists solely in that marketing campaign.
    In fact as far as I'm aware despite the massive marketing campaign and lots of lip service it wasn't until 2009 that the first Carbon Capture and Storage system (the systems that are supposed to assist in making it "cleaner") was added to an existing facility in the US and according to the economist article there are a total of merely 8 such systems currently operating in the entire world. Of course these systems do absolutely nothing to mitigate the environmental damage that results from actually mining the coal, they just lessen the damage caused by burning it to an uncertain degree.

The Myth of Clean Coal by Richard Conniff : Yale Environment 360
    http://www.power-eng.com/news/2012/09/20/dodging-the-carbon-emissions-question.html
    http://www.economist.com/node/21554501

7. Treeunit212

Treeunit212 Not your bro, bro.

:squint:

Just because you didn't mention Obama's name directly doesn't make your argument void of any mention of him. Anyone can see that and you're not fooling anyone but yourself.

I would, except that yours are based in more nonsense than the Holy Bible.

And you don't take it seriously enough.

No. That's you, my friend.

I take time out of my day to talk to people about politics, both in person and on this forum, because it is one of the most important things to me in life. I get genuinely offended when people like you who have no respect for an honest discussion based in facts and evidence think it's okay to say things like Obama was born in Kenya and this Middle East crisis has been a complete and total failure without providing a shred of real evidence and ignoring facts that counter your perceived reality.

So how did you respond to my corrections and opinions?

Wow. I am an American hater for disagreeing with you and providing facts to back it up. :squint:

I can. You clearly can't.

Take your hypocrisy somewhere else. I don't have time for it anymore.

8. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

There is nothing I blame Fox News for more than the propagation of the idea that what we are experiencing is natural.

Shifts of temperature are normal sure, but to nowhere near the degree or at the speed we've seen since the industrial revolution began.

For instance, the methane stored in the permafrost in northern Alaska has been there since before the last ice age. Incidentally which, there is now evidence supporting that the last ice age, which was previously thought to be an example of "natural temperature shift" was actually caused by a large meteor impact.

Let me put it this way: there is far more evidence supporting that man has been the primary cause of current climate change (between a mix of methane caused by increased cattle raising and CO2 & sulfur from vehicle and power generation exhaust) than there is for natural shifts ever occurring of this magnitude.

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Yeah I was doubtful, myself, when I had heard that honestly. Coal is a really dirty fuel to begin with so even if it was "cleaner" it still isn't like solar power, wind power, etc. I'm not the least bit surprised that it is just marketing like most companies "clean" initiatives.

10. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Back on topic, or at least the title of the thread...

So, this choice for Romney just got booed by a room full of senior citizens. Personally, I think he was a great choice for Romney. Just like Abbot was for Costello, Laurel was for Hardy, and Palin was for McCain.

Paul Ryan Booed At AARP (VIDEO)

In other news, Mitt released his (partial) tax records from last year. Turns out he paid 14.1%. On an income of 13.7 million. But it's OK! He gave loads of money to his own church.* Uh, no, wait, I mean, his own Super PAC. Uh, no, wait, I mean, charity! Does this put him in the 47%, the 53%, or the 1%? The Romney campaign was supposed to "reboot" itself this week, and go from attacking Obama's record to touting Romney's policies. So far it's been on the defensive the entire week. I cannot wait to see where this campaign goes next!

Romney paid 14.1% effective tax rate in 2011

*Wasn't Mitt a bishop in the Mormon church? Can you actually get tax reductions on giving to a charitable organisation that you're practically an employee of? Shady, if you ask me...

EDIT!:

It looks like Mitt actually had his accountants make him pay more tax (only claiming deductions on 2.25 million of the 4+ million he gave to charity) in the last year so he'd hit his "no less than 13%" comment to the press earlier in the year. Money isn't even a thing to Mitt. He's got so much of it that he can choose how much tax he pays for the sake of political expediency. Explains why he thought the middle class was 250k and up. That disconnect from the real world makes me shudder.

Also, according to Mitt, his dad wouldn't vote for him (welfare-dependent victim that he was!) and now he's not qualified to be president by his own conditions (paying more tax than he's supposed to!).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howar...-gop_b_1904564.html?icid=hp_politics_art_more

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...-declares-himself-unqualified-to-be-president

Is it too late for a Herman Cain candidacy? I think he'd be doing better...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    Adam Of Angels likes this.
  11. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

:wavey: No thanks. BUT, since I';m clearly upsetting/annoying you (unintentionally mind you)

I'll stay off the politics thread for awhile.
    Fair enough?

12. MstrH

MstrH Arrogantly Average

:lame:

Trenchlord is fun! :argue:

13. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Conversation is boring when everybody agrees.

14. Treeunit212

Oh gosh I must be on my man-period again. :squint:

I have no desire to push you away from the P&CE threads, just maybe try a LITTLE harder to respect other's opinions? And by that I mean acknowledging them fully instead of continuing your lines of thought despite multiple members' corrections...

:spock:

Fuck it. Just keep doing what you're doing. :lol:

Also back on topic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rofl:

15. YngwieJ

YngwieJ SS.org Regular

I see your gifs and raise you:
    [​IMG]

16. Treeunit212

17. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

^ This reminds me of the time my (arsehole) friend blew his nose on a fifty dollar note right after saying he couldn't lend another friend a few bob for a bus.

18. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

I feel I owe a great debt to Mitt, thanks to him I went and found out more about Mormonism than I knew already. After researching Mormonism for a few days ("Mormon night") I learned much...

Here is a link I saved for your entertainment pleasure. It's reasonably thorough.

Treeunit212 likes this.
  19. SuperMutant

SuperMutant Banned

Ok, so since around 2007 my family has been getting poorer and poorer, and i'm kind of curious why obama says hes lowering taxes for middle class when my dad says his taxes are skyrocketing and their saying that romney will make it better for small businesses yet all I hear is that hes going to raise taxes for middle class and lower them for higher class. Seriously what the FUCK gives? It seems everything these motherfuckers say are lies and if the economy stays like this were going to lose our house..

In 2006-mid 2007 my dad owned a full auto shop with over 12 employees and a huge building including a extra shop for storage, welding etc. In 2009 he had to sell the bigger building (which wasn't fucking easy) and now does everything in the small shop and had 2 mechanics and a secretary, now he has 1 mechanic and now he has to do most of the work himself.

I'm only 16 and have NO knowledge whatsoever about what he does but I really want to help him so hes not so depressed, I mean today hes been saying shit like, oh nobody would care if I died and won't even eat dinner.

Anyways, can some of you smarter guys tell me whats going to happen? I mean who really is the better choice? Everyone I know is voting for romney because everything is terrible now but I think its going to get even worse if romney gets elected. Hell i'm depressed as I can't afford anything, weed, guitar gear, clothes etc and all the money we do have is apparently going to my fucking sister who has probably the most expensive car in my entire family and doesn't have to pay gas herself and my side is probably the poorest out my entire family. Hell I don't even have my PERMIT yet because no one gives a flying fuck.

20. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Well sorry to hear about your Dad, but without knowing the exact circumstances I don't think anyone can tell you what is going on. If his profits are down and he has lost employees (so health benefits etc. would be lower) there is no logical reason why his taxes would be higher especially when profiting small businesses aren't having these problems. It could be more that his business is just slowly going under and that is it. Your dad is in the same business my dad is in except they do metal fabrication as well and they are doing fine (expanding, choices for hiring etc.) so like I said without more detail couldn't tell you why things are worse for him.

Business taxes aside (as I'm not well versed on it) Romney will increase middle class taxes and lower taxes for high bracket earners. Whereas Obama is intending on lowering the middle class taxes and either maintaining or increasing high bracket earners taxes. That is all on the personal/family level of taxes. Based on your description though your family isn't middle class so I have no idea how it will affect you directly either. How does your sis have a nice car and everyone else is struggling?

It sounds like the recession took its toll on his job as fabrication is a luxury product that people will go without during hard times. Is it a diesel shop? In any case no idea why his taxes are skyrocketing (probably exaggerating a bit), maybe he took out loans or something.