Good but cheap poweramp for an engl e530?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ozzman619, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

hey guys, im new to the whole preamp/poweramp thing, but im really digging the engl e530 and for that price i just have to buy one, so now the only thing is i need a decent poweramp i was thinking a fryette 2/90/2 but ive kinda ran low on money after but a new 2x12 cab with eminence governors in it, so im looking for a cheaper poweramp thats still decent

anyone got any ideas?

2. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

if you want valve then the obvious choice is the carvin ts100.
    also i'm not sure how much they go for over there but here in the uk the marshall valve power amps(the 9100 and the 50/50) are really cheap used and sound huge. They are 3u though and very heavy. Possibly thats why they don't seem to be too popular on these forums but hey if its good enough for iron maiden........

3. Dvaienat

Dvaienat SS.org Regular

Another vote for a Marshall 50/50 or 9100.

4. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Best bang for the buck is a rocktron velocity to make a good and cheap rig with an e530.

5. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

are the rocktron velocitys tube poweramps?

6. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

the rocktron is a tranny amp but supposed to be pretty good i think they can be made to sound valvey.

tranny power sections tend to lose bottom end/thickness as you turn up the volume in larger rooms and as the e530 isnt known for massive bottom end i'd think a valve power section would be better suited but obviously more expensive.

7. ibanez4lifesz

ibanez4lifesz @TheGuitarRack

PM sent about a Power amp I'm looking to move!

8. raximkoron

raximkoron SS.org Regular

My vote would be on a Peavey Classic 50/50 for a cheap tube power amp that has the necessary controls (EL34-based). The Carvin T100/TS100's are good as well and are usually around the same price and can switch between 6L6's and EL34's, but I'm a bigger fan of Peavey's build quality.

I run mine with a VHT/Fryette 2/90/2 now (KT88's), but I've also run it in the past with a Peavey Classic 120 (mono version of the Classic 60/60 with 6L6's). It was a little light on the bass, but I'm attributing that mostly to the lack of depth/presence controls on that power amp and an incapable speaker cabinet (B-52 AT-100). Running my rig now with a Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12 and it's damned impressive to say the least.

9. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

damn man a fryette 2/90/2 would just be a dream come true for my rig but sadly i cant afford one at this point in time, so its time to settle for something lesser.

Im thinking the peaveys too, just cause like you their build quality to me has always been top notch or at least acceptable, i havnt owned a carvin so i cant judge it but i know for a fact peaveys are built well

10. Alekke

Alekke Octopus Djentalis

ENGL 840

11. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

One more vote for Carvin TS100

12. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead Contributor

mesa 50/50. that's what I used with mine, and I liked how it sounded.

at that time, used for about $500

13. orakle

orakle djentleman

carvin ts100 or old peavey 50/50

14. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

has anyone tried a Rocktron Velocity 300 150w, ive read some decent reviews on it and it claims to be able to sound and react like a tube poweramp, can anyone back that up?

15. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

lol

16. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

I LOLed at the Engl 840 also. He is looking for AFFORDABLE, not a boutique grade power amp right now.

I personally would pass on the Carvin TS100 unless you want a really pure power amp and if you are going for a tight aggressive metal tone (which I bet you are with an e530) I would invest in something else. Pretty much all your tone will be coming from your preamp so you will not get much aggressiveness or low-end from the TS100.

A lot of people like the power amp to add a certain signature tone additive to their sound. For example, Mesas 2:100 will add that Mesa Recto sag (more so with Modern engaged) or VHTs series to have add a tighter and less saturated output.

The Peavey Classic 50/50 is a fantastic power amp if you can find one and they go dirt cheap and will compliment a "budget" metal tone nicely.

If you want to go even cheaper, get a Rocktron Velocity. They are solid state, but they are really underrated and have awesome performance especially for their price! I bet you could find one used barely over $100. If you plan on gigging with it then get the 300 model. If you are just going to be using it for bedroom jamming or with a friend, the 100 will be more than enough.

17. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

im really thinking of getting the velocity 300w its seems pretty decent and like Queklain said underrated

18. evilsaint

evilsaint SS.org Regular

19. boltzthrower

boltzthrower SS.org Regular

My Peavey Classic 120 owns the TS100, IMO. But if you like alot of power amp coloring, go with the TS100.

I see alot of people say that the TS100 is very high-fi and doesn't color your sound much. I found the complete opposite to be true. When cranking up the TS100 to a drummer volume, it was honking with thick growly dark-ish power amp distortion (which I happen to detest). I owned a T100 as well, same tone.

20. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

Mesa 50/50 or Randall RT2/50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.