good budget Active monitors to help with programmed drums live

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by lewis, Feb 4, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

as title says.
    Will be gigging with backing tracks/programmed drums, and wont be doing in ears (at least to start with).

The whole gig will be dependant on soundguys monitor mix...therefore, prefer using our own monitor (or 2)

anyone got any tips for good, solid but very very affordable monitors?

2. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I have 2 Alto TS115A and they rip. I think I paid $350 CAD each.

3. TNihil

TNihil SS.org Regular

I´d personally try to get the mixdown of the backing track(s) as good and clear as possible for the live situation instead of getting monitors just for the backings. More control in your hands imho.
    Maybe you´re already good at mixing/mastering or maybe you happen to know someone who´d do this for you. Even if you have to pay him, it´s way cheaper than getting monitors for your backing tracks. If you happen to have a rehearsal room with a PA try playing back several mix versions of your backing tracks there. Loud of course.
    Played live with backing tracks my whole life and learned the hard way to get the backing tracks as good as possible before the gig and thus not to rely on the (in many cases unknown to you) sound guy doing his magic. Just my experience of course.

lewis likes this.
  4. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Sorry for the spam, did the One Man Band live thing for a few years and the best montor I used was a Line 6 Stagesource L3T. A good mixdown of your track and proper levels from the sound guy also helps.