Godin Multiac vs. Ibanez AFJ957?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Dusty Chalk, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Anyone tried either of these? I'm looking for a good 7-string acousto-electric...or is it electro-acoustic? I realize they're completely different guitars, but my choices appear to be limited. If anyone knows of any other good choices, please feel free to share.

I'm leaning towards the Godin, myself.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Do you want steel or nylon strings?
    Are you used to classical necks?
    What type of music are you looking to play?
    Do you want an amplified acoustic tone or an electric with a louder acoustic presence?

3. Dusty Chalk

I'll answer the questions in order of easiest to hardest:

I am not used to classical necks -- don't even know what they are -- I'll wander off to look that up later.

I presume I want steel strings if I'm using pickups, no? Otherwise it's a full acoustic. It started off trying to get the most acoustic sound out of my electrics, but now I'm thinking I need to get an archtop or something.

In terms of what I'm looking for -- I'm trying to recreate my Ken Parker era Fly Deluxe in a 7-string. It has that open-ness and airiness that I associate with acoustics, but it does it with pickups -- yes, I know it has a piezo, but even with the mags, it still has that electro-acoustic sound. Plus I have a hollowbody sixer that sustains like crazy. The Godin samples I've found on the web seem pretty brighter -- like Ovation brighter -- but I think I'm alright with that.

Music-wise -- I'm still working on that, but I'm all over the place stylistically. The best way to describe me is a poor man's, American Mike Oldfield (I.E. especially without the Celtic influence).

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The Godin Multiac 7 is basically an amplified classical guitar. It doesn't use magnetic pickups, just piezo and nylon strings.

More info here: Godin Guitars

The neck is wide and flat, like traditional classical guitars. It's a much different feel than most electric necks, Parker included.

Given that, I doubt the Godin is what you're looking for.

5. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Washburn has a couple of steel-string acoustic 7s available. There's also Rondo, if the 7-string Renaissance is currently in stock or if you can wait for it to come back. I agree with Max that you're probably not looking for what Godin has on offer, based on your description.

6. Dusty Chalk

Thanks! Yeah, I have to admit, it was a pretty big leap from my beloved Parker Fly Deluxe to what I heard on YouTube coming out of the Godin. Oh well, alas.

I will add Eastman to the list (as well as Rondo and Washburn) based on recommendations in the Grote thread. I've even seen an Eastman sixer outfitted with a Benedetto, a pickup which interests me based on its description (so much so that I bought a couple of B-7s to try out).

Yeah, the Benedetto guitars and the Steve Andersons and whatnot are out of my reach. I bet even Ken Parker would make me a 7-string archtop, but that's out of my reach, too, alas.