Goals/Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by SenorDingDong, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

Just ot of curiosity Tiger; How short/tall are you? I'm 6,2 and about 160 pounds. You're hell of a lot stronger and more muscular than me though. Aiming for around 176 before I go for my first cut.

2. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

I'm 5'4"

3. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

Awesome work!! Thats a great loss. Heading in the right direction :hbang:

In my opinion you've done it the right way round. Drop the body fat and then bulk. Wish I'd done it that way :lol:

4. TankJon666

Currently 200lbs at 5'11" Body fat is around 18-20% but I'm bulking the last 3 months and will continue until around December then its onto 5 months of cutting prior to my first natural comp. Have to give myself longer than the usual 3 months as I'm doing a clean comp and can't use the naughty stuff :D
    Trying to keep the fat gain to a minimum by ditching the carbs after 6pm. Apart from a protein shake with milk before bed.

5. Infamous Impact

Infamous Impact SS.org Regular

Just to check in, I ran a 48.91 at states to finish off my season. Can't wait for next year!

6. prashanthan

prashanthan SS.org Regular

Current squat 1RM is 130kg. Anyone have any idea as to what's a reasonable timeframe to get 4 plates within?

7. TankJon666

Only you can answer that to be honest. Depends on your training, eating, sleeping, drinking etc... and how long it took you to get to 130kg.

Out of interest can you do your 1rm? I notice that alot of people bandy about how big their 1rm is but have actually never tried to do it.

8. prashanthan

prashanthan SS.org Regular

Hard to say tbh, my 1RM this time last year was 140kg (took maybe half a year's consistent training to get to I guess), but then I didn't have access to a gym and got really ill and lost a tonne of weight, so started over from December. Will have constant access to a gym from July onwards, and generally eat + sleep well and rarely drink. I understand that as you lift more, gains are harder to come by so I really have no idea how long a 4 plate squat would take for me. At 70kg bodyweight, I guess I'm at an intermediate stage right now.

And yep, I did it last week, easily below parallel, in weightlifting shoes but without a belt or wraps, it was pretty hard. No point counting anything as a 1RM if you haven't actually done it.

9. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

7 weeks in now, still can't do better than 2.5 miles in 20 minutes, hovering around 155 lbs and 35" waist.

This is starting to feel like a waste of time and effort. Zero progress in the past 4 weeks of running roughly every other day and eating ~1600 calories per day.

10. TankJon666

I know it sound counter productive but try upping your calories. You'll be a lot fitter and more muscular and as a result burning more calories just by being awake! Your weight loss will slow if your body thinks it is burning too many calories. Perhaps upping to around 1800-1900? Also, sometimes these things happen. You might jump on the scales next week and have dropped 5lbs :D

Have you also tried changing up your running? If you just do straight distance work then swap it for a while to high intensity sprinting. 20 minutes of sprinting around like a maniac does wonders. Try breaking it down into a session of 50m sprints or 1 minute of jogging and 30 seconds of sprinting. Also have you tried drinking a strong black coffee about 20 minutes before exercise? It is a proven fat burner!

Also, its not a waste of time and effort. Giving up and larding out would be a waste of the time and effort you have put in!

11. troyguitar

I've tried upping the pace to 6 minutes per mile but not flat out sprinting. I'm also moving toward running every day instead of every other day - alternating between 6 minute and 8 minute pace. Right now the limits are about 4 minutes at the fast pace and 20 minutes at the slower pace.

I'm beginning to diagnose myself with mild exercise-induced asthma over the past few weeks. It seems that my legs and heart have been doing better with the runs, but I still have to stop at the same point due to trouble breathing. My legs after the 20 minutes are now barely tired, it's just breathing that stops me.

The current plan is to really bust ass for the next 10 days straight to try and break out of this rut, while also doing more research on the asthma thing, and at the end I'll either see some improvement or see a doctor.

12. TankJon666

I've read a theory that you can increase your vo2 levels (the amount of oxygen you can take in) by doing short bursts of very intense exercise. Might help the asthma side of things.

"French exercise physiologist Veronique Billat found that the fastest way to reach your potential is to run intervals at a speed that elicits your VO2 max, a pace known in lab circles as velocity. This pace is equivalent to 3,000-meter pace or the fastest effort you can maintain for about eight minutes. To reap a training benefit, however, you only need to sustain that pace for two to five minutes, which is what I did every Tuesday for 20 years. It kept me competitive, and it'll help you do the same."

Basically going balls out like a maniac for as long as you can. I try to do it once a week, usually makes me want to puke my guts inside out but I think its working as I have noticed a decrease in the amount of time I need to recover between sets whilst lifting weights.

13. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

14. troyguitar

I hate reading stuff like that.

"Just do an easy 5 mile run after a 20-30 minute warmup jog"

Fuck you I can't jog for 30 minutes without being unable to breathe :wallbash:

There seems to be a lot of information out there on what to do to go from being in really good shape to being in great shape, but not for how to get from poor shape to good shape. What do you do when there is NO easy pace? When a 20 minute jog is the most you can physically do...

15. Infamous Impact

Add intervals into your training. And hills. Lots of hills. They make anyone fast.

16. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Spin bike.

17. Metal_Webb

Metal_Webb Needs more strings

Good to see this thread still going!

Well I'm getting towards the end of my 3 month weight loss period (will keep going though!).

I'm 1.77 m -ish (5ft 10") for reference, starting at around 20% bodyfat.
    At the start of April I was weighing in at a constant 94 kg (207 lb). Atm I'm sitting at 87.5 kg last Friday (192 lb) The weightloss has all been from watching what I eat, supplementing with a thermogenic and acetyl carnitine. That's a weight loss of 7 kg (15 lb) which has must have been all fluid and fat, as I have to do a fair bit of lifting at my job and I've noticed no appreciable loss of strength or muscle size.

Going to put a note in here about the supps I've been taking. I'd gotten down to 91kg after about 3 weeks, then I plateaued (this was after I'd gotten my diet downpat btw). I sat there for about 2 weeks till I started taking the thermos and the ACL. Now, not saying they are the key to losing a ton of weight, but they defo helping to keep the weight coming off. I also have a protein shake each morning at breakfast and if I'm feeling peckish at night, I'll have a 2/3rd size one then instead of desserts. Using a Casein based protein atm which keeps me feeling a lot fuller for longer and is most likely helping to prevent the muscular atrophy.

18. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I've been doing sprints for the first time in my life.

100M time is consistently around 11.89, repeats with 30 seconds rest. Not great, but decent.

I've been mostly working on my planches, handstand push ups and just doing gymnastics-style body-weight conditioning in general. It's hard work but it is so much fun. As of right not I can hold a planche for a little over a minute (I never tried them before last week, so I'm not that good yet).

19. Infamous Impact

If that's the first time you've sprinted, you're insanely fast. I run an 11.05 after 2 seasons and working my ass off 24/7 for over a year.

20. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I've been doing a lot of circuit training for the last year, so that might have helped. Due to that, my cardio is pretty solid, I think.