Goals/Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by SenorDingDong, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

All these guys bulking up and I'm trying to slim down. I was at ~180lb when I started running and I'm down to ~165lb. My 3 mile runs are still around 30-35 minutes (started slower than last year and don't want reinjure my knee), but I'm just trying to finish my first half marathon in 2.5 hours. I'll worry about speed after getting the endurance to finish the distance.

2. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Everyone has different goals my man, Before I started gymming I was running 3-6 miles 5 times a week, and noticed hardly any difference in my body. But since hitting the gym, and even cutting out all forms of cardio, although I do Yoga occasionly, I've slimmed right down and muscles have popped, so I've been sticking with that.

I just love most forms of exercise which is why I do it, I have a 2.5 hour break every day and it's not enough to get home, but perfect gym/run time and it's always an excellent feeling after, and it's perfect to zone out and listen to a new/fav album. 2.5 hours is definitely achievable as well man, keep at it.

Thanks man, Yeah i'm not too bummed, I feel confident about getting back into it. I've just purchased like 3kg of nut/trail mix to snack on throughout the day as well, and had an early finish so I prepped a few days worth of food, hopefully try and do this more often. I've been back the past 3 days, and my weights have all gone down about 2 increments, but I have been pushing an extra set at the end, and really going slow and getting as much squeeze as I can with most exercises. I really feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it all.

3. ThePhilosopher

First 9 mile run today was over my pace by about 5 minutes overall (1:53:14) but not too bad for a first go.

Now for a question, my training schedule runs out in 2 weeks and I'll still be a month out from my race - should I try for more distance and then taper off or just repeat the last few scheduled distances on my training regimen?

I would like to run a full sometime next year, but I'm not quite sure how to transition.

4. Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Ed_Ibanez_Shred Baritone sixes

If you've reached your pace goal, I'd just stay at that comfortable pace- you don't want to injure yourself/tire yourself out.

My running progress: now managing just over 28 minutes for 4 miles. First 2 miles in about 12 minutes (it's uphill on the way back). I finally feel like I'm getting into my running groove again. Just need to be able to keep the pace up before I start some longer/more hilly runs. :flex: <-- I wish there was a version of this but with muscly legs XD

5. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Progressing on my 1.5 mile run. Was at 15:00 flat when I started about a month and a half ago. On Monday I ran it in 12:00 flat. Still need to knock another two minutes off before I'm totally happy.

6. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Are you doing any hiit sprints mike? I used to do 10-15 100m sprints just once a week, followed by a slow 1km and I noticed after doing that my long distance pace improved quite dramatically.

Eating cleaner than ever, and I've put on 3kg since last post, I've hit my old weight pre sickness, and I'm still getting more definition every week. Coming back into it hard, feels good man :lol:

7. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I haven't started yet, but I'm going to this week. I fell off big time last week and only hit the gym twice. Granted, I did run and do my bodyweight exercises Monday, but I still need to be more adamant about it this week. Gym 4 days with an extra day for running.

8. ThePhilosopher

Just finished my first 4 mile run without intervals and I did pretty well. I almost ran the entire thing too: 4.36 miles in 46:57.

9. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I hit a snag in my progress when I went on vacation, and have had a hard time keeping up since because my work schedule has been insane (been in the gym only 3-4 times per week instead of 6 and barely getting any sleep), but I weighed myself yesterday, and although it's been slowed, I'm still making progress. At 167 lbs now, for a total gain of 14 lbs since I started.

10. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

I don't have a scale here, and I can't seem to find any in the gym, so I guess I'm not going to know my actual weight until I go home for break. I haven't been eating perfectly, but I've been eating a lot, and trying to up the weight in everything I've been doing. Workouts are 4-5 days a week now.

As for my goals, I want to weigh 160lbs sooner than later (I might be near there now for all I know, last I checked in August I was 153) and I want to be able to do a 100lb barbell overhead press by the end of my semester. I can do sets of 60 and 70lbs right now, so I want to build up to where I'm not gonna die from doing 1 rep.

If I go into maximum overdrive food wise I'd like to weigh 170 by my December break.

11. ThePhilosopher

Half Marathon in 27 days and I'm not relying on intervals as much to keep me moving and my times are improving. Here's to pushing for that 2.5 hour finish.

12. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

Are you in the military? More specifically Navy or Air Force? That's the distance of their PT tests and other than that it would be an odd distance to train for. Army is 2 miles and Marines is 3 miles.

13. MemphisHawk

Lost my bearing on this, but I haven't lost too much time.

October 3rd 2014 - 23:08
    (I had to slow down for a stop light and I had to stop for another one for a few seconds so I consider this a sub 23:00)

Gotta stay focused!

14. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Going in. :cool: Currently in the enlistment process of the Air Force.

15. MemphisHawk

Good on you. I hit my 10 year mark in the Navy in 14 days. Make sure you stay below 12 (when you get there) minutes for your entire enlistment, be it 4-20 years). No reason to go any slower except getting lazy. I'm 32 years old and run it under 10 every time.

What job are you going for/when do you leave for boot camp. (slight thread jack.)

16. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I'm going for TACP, so my 1.5 time has to be under 10:47, but I'm aiming for a sub-10. Still not sure when I'm leaving, as I've had to run 50 different places for 50 different things before I go to MEPS. Hopefully soon, though.

17. ThePhilosopher

Temperature is finally sub-70°F and I had my best run to date: 4.59miles in 46:31.

18. MemphisHawk

Fastest 5K time in the last 16 months today! 22:30. That's 7:14/mile. I wanna take it one step at a time, so next goal is to just break 22:00 which is 7:05/mile.

19. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Brought my deadlift up to a 400 last night, which puts me at a 1,005 lb total for my big 3 lifts. Probably going to try and maintain my weight, get leaner, and be as strong as possible in the 169.4 lb (77kg) weight class.

20. ThePhilosopher

I finished 13.25 miles today in 2:48:09, walked a bit with my wife the last half mile - hopefully with the adrenaline and crowd I can pace a bit better and get to 2:30:00.