Goals/Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by SenorDingDong, Apr 16, 2012.

1. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

You'd be surprised how much time you can pull off your running. Especially if you are just talking about 1 mile flat out. My wife dropped over a minute off her mile ( she is not a runner) in 3 weeks of running maybe twice a week. I ran a 5:40 quite consistently ,but when you run 5:40 next to decent high school milers you get smoked every time.

-I ran a 5k race on March 29th in 22:22, so another 17 second drop. I have been running easy since then just trying to get my weight down. Wondering where 2 more minutes will come from!

2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Do tell.
    I'm guessing you're at maybe 15'-ish?
    Hell, our class 2A school record way back in my day was only 13'3" :noplease:.
    Higher than I would have wanted to go though. I'm real big on keeping my feet below my head in all activities :lol:.
    Also, hurdles suck!!!

3. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Figured this is an appropriate thread for progress!

Started off around 140 lbs., and I'm now sitting at 150 after 10 weeks. My goal by the end of the year is to be a fairly lean 165. Got some time before that happens, but it's possible. Hitting the gym 5-6 times a week and eating like a mad man. Here's to fitness! :flex:

[​IMG]

4. Infamous Impact

Infamous Impact SS.org Regular

I'm doing nothing but vaulting now. That's all I want to do in college. Forget 5 hour practices :lol:.
    And at states I got 13-3. I'm jumping well over 15 in practice, I just need my outdoor season to start!

5. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I had to deal with an annoying IT Band injury that's kept me from running since October. Been lifting in the meantime and finally convinced myself to start running again today since it's so nice out. Been nervous that the IT Band would tear again but I managed to do 4 miles without any issues. Took me 45 minutes which is pretty weak but not bad for a post-injury run.

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Started: 235lbs

Goal: 180lbs

Today: 199lbs

:nlb:

I'm so close

7. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I had a similar injury last summer and I'm starting up my regimen again now that my work schedule is reduced greatly - here's to trying a half marathon in October '14.

8. Konfyouzd

I've been finding mixed information about this online, but I was wondering what you guys found to be the most accurate measure of BF%. I have a scale that supposedly calculates it for me, but I'm not 100% sure of it's accuracy and it'd be nice to try a few different ways and compare them.

9. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Deadlift max went from 330 lbs. to 370 lbs. on Saturday. I don't really have a goal weight for my DL. Pretty much as high as my body will let me go with it. Let's just say 800 lbs. in my lifetime?

10. Konfyouzd

Totally doable. I watched my boy shrug 800lbs and it was damn impressive. I feel like you should be able to work your deadlift to that point eventually.

Side note: I did some calculations and assuming I make little to no gains while cutting (as should be expected me thinks) my goal should actually be about 175... 5lbs... Big deal... :lol:

I don't wanna compete in anything. I just wanna look like a life sized action figure. :shrug:

11. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Watched a 19 year old, Jesse Norris, deadlift 775 raw. He's bigger than me by about 15 lbs., but pulled it up like it was nothing. I feel like 800 by the time I'm 30 or so isn't out of the question. Maybe sooner.

12. Konfyouzd

Definitely. :yesway:

How old are you? I wanna start doing deadlift but I'm worried I'm gonna .... it up. I've been looking for a gym buddy but most ppl talk like they're down and never show up. :(

13. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I'm only 22.

Deadlifting is complex, and you definitely want to read up a lot before you do it. I still have a bit of tweaking to do to my form, as I'm not putting enough leg drive into it. Once I get that down, I think I can shoot for 400. It's a weird motion, but once you start to get it, it's an awesome lift.

14. Konfyouzd

I hear that along w a few other back exercises are how you get Hulk big.

15. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

MikeH: IIRC you wanted to get into powerlifting, does that mean you'd pursue the upper levels of the sport regardless of its effect on your physical health over time? (as we all know, ultimately powerlifting is not about longevity or fitness but pushing/pulling weights the body was not truly designed to handle). Not voicing approval/disapproval either way, just curious.

Squats and DL are the key mass builders, next in importance probably the standing and bench presses.

16. Konfyouzd

I do overhead press but I do it seated for the time being. I should do them standing though.

17. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

Eh really just the overhead pressing part is the key factor, but yeah the full lift is done standing, despite having the same range of motion.

18. Konfyouzd

I didn't like overhead at first but it's becoming one of my favorites. It's fairly difficult at first.

19. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I'm aware of the adverse physical effects of it. I'm just taking it day by day at this point, and if my body says that I need to stop, I'll stop. I am aware of some PL guys in their 40s and 50s who have been doing it since they were my age, though. I think it's all about proper recovery and precautionary measures.

20. Konfyouzd

Weird... Over the past 3 weeks I gained 9 lbs and lost it again but I don't *look* like I lost it again. The scale just reads less. Weird. Clothes fit the same the whole time. :shrug:

Must be water...?