GLX Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal (HM-100)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by sleepygamer, Jun 10, 2009.

1. sleepygamer

sleepygamer SS.org Regular

This is actually the first guitar pedal I ever bought, and has been with me for the past two or so years, and I think it's an impressive sounding pedal for the money. Hell, I'd pay twice as much again to buy one. In fact, I have two.

Ease of Use: I gave this a 5 because there's not a whole lot that can go wrong. Plug your guitar in at one end, and the amp in at the other, make sure you have a 9v power supply or a battery in there, twiddle the knobs and go!

Features: This gets a 5 because it's everything you expect from a modern metal pedal. You get a level knob, a distortion knob, and an EQ section comprising of Low, High, Middle, and Middle Frequency. The case is a pretty solid metal construction, and beats the hell out of some of the plasticky pedals I have used down the line. It's a nice gun metal grey colour too, like the rest of the GLX line.

Reliability: A 4 here, because while this thing is built like a tank (my original one has lasted two years and is still used), the 9V battery clip is weak, and in removing the battery I have both torn off the entire clip, and once pull off one of the connectors holding the battery. This is pretty much the only physical fault I have found with the pedal.

Value: 5! It cost me £25 when I bought it 2 years ago, and while it felt like a lot of money to my 16 year old self, it was cheaper than the Boss Metal Zone and all the other commonly bought metal distortions on the market. Plus, I thought it sounded better. Much better.

Customer Support: Never needed it, so I can't comment.

Expressiveness/Sounds: Ah yes, onto the meat and potatoes. This thing is CHUNKY. It gets a 4 in sound, mainly due to it's main focus, but with a bit of fiddling, it's easy to get classic rock and blues tones from this pedal, albeit slightly flatter sounding than a pedal dedicated to those sounds.

I originally was attracted to this pedal because the sounds it produced were different from the other ones on display, such as the Boss DS-1 and the Metal Zone, and even a Digitech Death Metal. Those other pedals all sounded so thin, and no matter what, the mid scoop on those things sounded terrible to my own ear. I found what I wanted in this pedal, which was tons of gain, and a clear cut tone that still had plenty of bottom.

Don't be fooled, though. If you prefer, you can set this pedal to have all those scoopy sound preferred by those people who buy the Metal Zone, by just sucking back the mids and boosting the mid frequencies a little, along with the high end to maintain the brightness.

Overall, I would happily give this a 5 and buy it all over again. I used to chain a pair of these, one with a light gain, the other with a heavy one, and use the first to boost the other should I ever require it.

If you are looking for a metal pedal on a budget, and are considering the Boss distortions, check one of these out if you can, you will not regret it.

2. scorch15

scorch15 AngelOfTheBeast

Hey would It be possible for you to record a riff or two and possibly a solo so I can hear how it sounds? It seems like an amazing buy and am thinking about looking into one.
    Thanks man

3. Evergrey

Evergrey SS.org Regular