Girl, 17, Forced to Continue Chemo for Hodgkin's Lymphoma Against Wishes

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TheStig1214, Jan 8, 2015.

1. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

So this has been circulating at least my local/tri state area news.

Connecticut’s highest court approves forced chemotherapy for teen - The Washington Post

I encourage reading the whole article, but the gist of it is this:

Cassandra has Hodgkin's Lymphoma, was diagnosed in September 2014. She wanted to not undergo chemo therapy, which would more than likely save her life, on the grounds it was "poison". Connecticut trial courts in 2014 determined she had to do it, and she agreed under oath she would if she could go home.

Then Cassandra ran away, and thus could not undergo treatment.

She was detained and the state took over her medical care. Cassandra and her mother took it to the Connecticut Supreme Court and they upheld the previous court's ruling that she is not competent or mature enough to make her own medical care related choices, and that she would have to continue treatment against her will.

Now my view here is this. What was she going to do otherwise? Die a slow painful death? I know chemo is hell on the body, and the side effects of it can be worse than the side effects of cancer itself in some cases, but when it is a matter of life or death (rather, an 85% to 95% chance of living versus a 0% chance of living), I assume any logical person would choose to live.

Explorer likes this.
  2. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

A citizen should be able to decide what they can and cannot do to their own body. If that includes dying a painful death then so be it because that's their decision, not the government.

3. TheStig1214

I suppose so, but I find the logic behind her reasoning incredibly flawed.

I think the legal issue here though was that the mother was not taking her daughter to the medical treatment she needed to live, even if it was because of her own wants. Once she became under the "custody" of the state, so to speak, they had an obligation to make sure this girl didn't kill herself with a very treatable disease.

4. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 H. Maddas

if she was 21 then i'd agree, her decision, but she's 17. Not nearly old enough to make that sort of decision IMO

5. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

As someone that's gone through it, I can say it's no picnic. Never felt worse in my entire life. But with the support of my friends and family I pushed through it and lived. :fawk: cancer.

I don't really understand her logic either. Even more so her mothers. She really wanna watch her daughter die knowing there was a very good chance of keeping her alive? Wtf is wrong with these people? She has a very treatable form of cancer and she chooses to die instead. Sounds like maybe she's got some kind of mental issues going on as well? Idk.

She doesn't want to put poison in her body, but her body has already been poisoned with the cancer. One can save here, the other will kill her.

I mean, people have the right to do what they want with their own lives so I can't say I totally agree with their intervening against her will, but this is just a strange situation.

I think that when/if her treatment works she'll look back later in life and wonder just what the hell she was thinking.

6. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Minor child decides agrees to get treatment for treatable, possibly fatal disease (pneumonia, sepsis, lymphoma, whatever).

Minor child then breaks agreement and runs away to escape treatment.

State then recovers minor child and treats child for treatable, possibly fatal disease (pneumonia, sepsis, lymphoma, whatever).

I'm not sure what the news story is, or, rather, why it's news. People who are pulled back from committing suicide when they don't have a fatal illness don't often get widely reported.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I'm normally one to vote to let people die if they want, and to keep the government out of people's lives. But, I'm also a father, and there is just no way I'd let my 17 year old (which, admittedly, I don't have. At least not for several more years) make that call. Kids are not mature enough to make those calls. I also wouldn't let my 17 year old get a face tattoo, marry a loser guy, or any number of other poor decisions that kids that age can't see past.

The mom, in this case; maybe should be left to die. :nuts: :lol:

tedtan likes this.
  8. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I'm a strong advocate for letting people decide whether or not they wanna go through chemo. It's a rough process and not everyone can handle it. I see 17 as old enough to make the decision, and if the family supports her, then there's no reason for the government to get involved.

Some people would rather die on their own terms than waste away on all kinds of chemicals and radiation. I can respect that.

Explorer likes this.
  9. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

If the government doesn't think she's old enough to decide whether or not to poison her body with alcohol, it comes as no surprise they wouldn't think she's old enough to decide whether or not to poison her body with chemo. They're nothing if not consistent.

10. TheStig1214

This article actually rails against the mom a lot more than others. Local news stations I've seen run the story show her saying she doesn't want her daughter to die, but she supports her right to choose more.

But, watching the video, I see the mom saying there are "a lot of other options."

...there are? I want to know what other options here are for treating cancer besides the ones that are proven to work.

Maybe they want to cure it with pseudoscience, BS, and wishful thinking :lol:

11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

:lol: I got neg repped for acting like an "arm chair quarterback." I guess I'm not supposed to try to put myself in the shoes of the family and determine what I would do? Isn't that what we're trying to do here? :scratch: Looks like he's judging me for judging someone else. Because that's OK.

12. TheStig1214

I did too :lol:

"Incredibly flawed... when you yourself, just one post prior to this one, admitted "Chemo SE's CAN be worse than the disease itself..." Lol."

Yeah, the SIDE EFFECTS can be worse. But I'd say living is much better than dying in the long run.

Someone can't see the forest through the trees.

FILTHnFEAR and tedtan like this.
  13. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I'm laughing about someone being a judgmental armchair quarterback about others being armchair quarterbacks.