Gibson Explorer 7

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by slim231990, Jul 15, 2014.

1. slim231990

slim231990 Areola51

This specific guitar was released in 2009 as a limited run guitar and is no longer in production. It seems there is little info out there on this specific guitar, so I figured I would write a review on it since I'm considering the ole girl for trade. I purchased this guitar from musiciansfriend.com in 2009 for $2000 brand new.

Gibson.com: Gibson 7-String Explorer

Features: 4/5 This guitar features a one piece mahogany body with a one piece mahogany set neck with an ebony finish. It includes a 24.75 inch rosewood fretboard with 22 frets, EMG 707 (neck) EMG 81-7 (bridge), black pickguard, two volume and one tone control with gibson speed knobs, and Grover tuners

Sound: 5/5 This guitar sounds absolutely amazing! Imagine a gibson explorer tone + EMG + an added 7th string and viola! Neck pup is extremely warm reminds me of a LP tone almost perfect tone for sweeps, both pup = nice balanced mids great acoustic tone clean, and bridge pup = screaming leads just like the 6 string 81 it was made to be a lead pickup so very high treble.

Action, Fit & Finish: 4/5 Finish = great but prone to classic Gibson finish checking. Action & Fit are pretty good too but only problem is the smaller Gibson scale fretboard = very easy fret stretches but slight problems with tuning stability so I swapped regular Grovers for locking Grovers which seemed to help with tuning stability.

Reliability: 4/5 This thing is built like a tank! It has a decent weight to it, but not as heavy as it looks. It has held up great for the 6 years I've had her. I personally think the only unreliable factors of this guitar would be Gibson's classic strap buttons, the fact you don't have access to those last two frets, and the tuning instability of a 24.75 scale 7.

Customer Support: 5/5 Gibson Classic Customer Support

Overall Rating: I personally believe this guitar deserves a 4/5 overall. While it comes with the classic flaws of a gibson such as less frets and shorter scale and a big price tag it also comes with the benefits of a gibson too = great tone, reliability, and good resale value. I personally would have went back in time and bought a Carvin myself but this guitar has grown on me and is def an amazing 7 string guitar just needs a little more TLC than most. I will say the only positive aspect of the 24.75 scale is that it is very easy to perform sweeps and normal stretches which can almost outweigh the cons of it. This would be the perfect 7 string for a gibby player who wants a 7 string and prefers the scale length.

2. slim231990

slim231990 Areola51