Ghost In The Shell Film 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Bloody_Inferno, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

The box office returns of The Jungle Book and Beauty & the Beast would beg to differ.

2. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

Disney gonna Disney, sure, I'm talking Dreamworks, etc.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Well, on the bright side, there's a new Ghost In The Shell anime in the works. :woohoo:

http://nerdist.com/ghost-in-the-shell-new-anime/

It's weird. Both those movies are better than they deserved to be. One could guess that it's due to those movies following the same formulas of what made the originals successful, eg the latter's songs certainly helped immensely for the nostalgia crowd, being grown up and now taking their kids to see the new remakes.

I've said this in the anime thread, but when it comes to live action remakes, Japan do this with their own property all the time, and has been going on for yonks. Most of them being inferior to the originals (coughDevilmancoughAttackOnTitanuncongvincingcough) with a few diamonds in the rough (Rurouni Kenshin trilogy remains my standard of best anime to live action adaptation). Japan's a bit more positive with the GITS reception, but my guess is that it's because they're used to seeing that. GITS however gets the luxury of a much larger budget, so it's much prettier than any of Japan's efforts that's for sure. Shame the movie was watered down and bland as all hell.

As for Akira, that's been in development hell forever ago. It's release now with today's climate is inevitable, but I'd be surprised to see it come out in this decade at least.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

That's still a hard bomb, considering international box office counts for less in calculating whether it broke even or not, and the budget here was 110 million USD. They'd have had to make ~220 million in the US, or considerably more than that combined US/international, to be a success. Ouch.

Beauty and the Beast was...not very good. The fact it got lukewarm reviews speaks volumes, considering those disney things tend to get positive reviews by default.

Pete's Dragon was weirdly the best of these things so far IMO. Didn't see Cinderella, but a lot of people said it was considerably better than Beauty and the Beast since it actually did something other than being a dull retread with creepy steampunk characters and an autotuned non-singer in the lead.

5. Alborz

Alborz SS.org Regular

um i heard it sucks but honestly gits is hard to screw up

6. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Finally saw this. IT ....ING SUCKED!!! God, why do Hollywood always mingle in .... they don't understand???

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Agreed.

Also didn't appreciate the ham-fisted repetitive tie-ins to the title....

Your body was destroyed, we've built you a new one... a new...shell. You're still in there. Your soul's still in there. Your...ghost is in there.

8. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

I liked the movie :) The only bad parts were the villain(actually I would just recast every character from the robotics company), and the early 2000's CGI, although I thought that element was strangely appropriate given the source material.

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Since I saw this movie about to hit the cinemas I went and watched the anime movie so I could know what I was going to see. I liked the anime, more like "meh", but its was cool, not my cup of tea really but ok enough. Maybe the plain awful voiceover acting in english had to do a lot with it.

I didnt wanted to see this movie in the cinemas as it wasnt appealing enough for me so I waited till I could see it online. OMG such a disappointment. I knew they were going to change some things here and there, as they cant really leave all that slow pacing and "arty" stuff of the anime, but wow they really made a mess with the story. They left couple of scenes from the anime, the rest its gone. The whole story and plot/mood went out of the window. Like WTF that ending with her mom???, like seriously, I know its "hollywood" but do they reaaly needed to cramp a "happy ending" in there??? WTF why???? *facepalm*

100% agree there. Pleaaaaaaaaaase leave Evangelion alone!

stupid hollywood :wallbash: