Ghost In The Shell Film 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Bloody_Inferno, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Ghost In The Shell Official Trailer

It could go either way here. Visually it looks great, and while the whitewash is an issue, I'm more concerned on the director, who's other 1 movie cred was Snow White And The Huntsman. :ugh:

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

yeah I was really bothered by the whitewashing at first, but remembered that Hollywood pretty much never puts asians as the lead character in a AAA film. The fact that mamoru oshii is helping them out gives me a little bit more hope. I agree that it could go either way, though I really hope it's good.

3. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

Or people could just bothering with the hollywood versions and see the animated version instead. Which has great and had none of the white washing.

4. KnightBrolaire

the problem is most people haven't seen the animated versions or even know about them unless they're already fans like me. At the minimum even if the movie sucks, it might encourage more people to watch the anime or read the manga.

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I thought I miss read my news feed this morning when I saw this...

Actually looks promising...even though it will be nothing like the animated version.

Like others have said, I'm really surprised they are making a movie of this...It's kind of an underground thing in America :2c:

6. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Even though I'm a cyberpunk nut, my sin is I can't stand Ghost in the Shell. I've tried each film and episodic incarnation over the years, and I just couldn't dig it. Not sure if it was the characters or the pacing.

Taking this film as it's own stand-alone piece, it looks more up my alley.

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Where are my beloved Tachikomas?

wait... Scarlet Johannson as Kusanagi? :drool:

8. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I'm skeptical.

Whitewashing aside, I had high hopes for Johannson in this role, especially after her performance in Under the Skin. That said, watching the trailer.. It just feels.. Flat? I mean, there are some nice visuals here and there, but none of it really feels particularly real/tangible, and - given the source material - I'm surprised how bland most of the sets seem to be.

Here's hoping the theatrical release proves me wrong..

9. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Whitewashing. Typical Hollywood. Why can't they cast Rinko Kikuchi? I got nothing against Scarlette(she's a great actress), this is not the "Ben Affleck as Batman" type of argument, and being Asian, I will feel weird with a character named Major Kusanagi that is not Japanese? Visually it does look awesome,they even got those rundown apartments building looks just like the anime.. I'm with Synergy, gotta wait for the theatrical release to judge. At least they got that japanese dude from Johnny Mnemonic playing Chief Aramaki.

10. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

they whitewashed it a little better than that lol her character is only billed as "The Major" per IMDB

11. KnightBrolaire

to be fair, almost nobody calls motoko kusanagi by her name in the show. It's either kusanagi or major.

12. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Suspect I'll pass on it. The whitewashing bothers me a bit. I also just don't feel like it was a movie that needed to be remade.

13. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I'm a bit bothered by the whitewashing as well, but honestly I'll probably still see it. While I don't agree with whitewashing in the movie industry I can kind of see the reasoning behind it. Take an anime that, while not obscure, isn't really well known outside of the fanbase/anime community and cast a little known asian actress as the lead role; how much of the general public will go see it when they can see another sci fi movie with a cast that they're familiar with? They probably cast her just based on her credentials alone... Not saying it's right or that I agree with it, but it is what it is, unfortunately. Once again (whitewashing) but I've always thought Anthony Hopkins would make a great Chief Aramaki.

14. GodOfChugs

GodOfChugs SSO's Chugmeister

Pretty excited for this! \m/

15. narad

narad SS.org Regular

She has a full-body prosthesis, so while it's generally safe to assume that this prosthesis would be asian-inspired, it's not the full-on whitewashing of like... I don't know...the real life vs. film about the MIT blackjack team. It could plausibly be a caucasian-inspired body.

I don't know...I'm of two minds about it. Rinko Kikuchi would have been a great fit for the role, but it's almost worse than white-washing to have like a token Japanese actress do all badass Japanese actress roles. Would be great to get some fresh asian talent in Hollywood.

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I'm more concerned about the lack of what made the original film so unique. I don't know if my reasons for liking it are the same as everyone else's, but I was struck primarily by how off the rails it went with getting all philosophical in the back half, to the point where the action seemed incidental. And, my favorite scene was that long section in the middle in which it was basically just a montage of setting.

17. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

I agree about the visual settings/ambience, but I find the "philosophical" stuff dated and simple. Maybe it is lost in translation, but it seems juvenile.

That stuff is best left to the viewer to mull over, IMHO.

18. wankerness

Do you think ditching that and turning it into a pure action movie will improve it?

19. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

No, but I think it should not be narrator dialog as it was in the English animated version....

just my opinion.

20. wankerness

I haven't seen the english version, just the subtitled version. Guess I should rewatch it and alternate audio tracks!