GGCFAD, Baritone, String tension

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by the_honeycat, Oct 4, 2017.

1. the_honeycat

the_honeycat SS.org Regular

Hello world. New here, hope this thread lands in the right place.

So I have been messing around for awhile now with different string gauges for my baritone in GGCFAD tuning. I have an ESP LTD MHB-400, 27" scale length.

My problem is the low G string. I have tried different gauges, from 56 all the way up to 68 and just recently fitted it with Ernie Ball 13-72 baritone slinky's. The remaining five strings are a-okay, I'd even say a bit too tight now, with the 72 set, but no matter the gauge, that low G always goes sharp, when tuned to pitch. So when I pick, it goes about 20 to 30 cents sharp and then slowly comes back to pitch into G. I have seen a little bit of improvement with the 72, doesn't go AS sharp anymore, but it's still there.

For the time being, I'm tuning the sixth string a little bit lower, based on the strength of my right hand attack, so it actually goes sharp INTO G from like -20 cents, right between F# and G. This only works for faster licks n riffs however, where the string doesn't ring out for longer than a second or so. Playing anything else, where the G rings out for a longer period of time, the string gradually sways back down to somewhere between F# and G.

I HAVE also adjusted the neck profile, bridge/action and intonationf or each set of strings I've experimented with, so everything has always been set up correctly for the different gauges.

Any helpful information on what else to consider, any modifications I can do, etc. would be greatly appreciated! In love with this tuning, especially on a baritone, so hoping to get this to stay MORE in tune. I do also realize, that there's just an inherent point, where getting a perfectly in tune instrument at such low pitches isn't feasible anymore, but I'm sure there are things I could try.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your thoughts on this!

2. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Is that G of the sixth string one half step higher than the standard F# of an 8 string guitar? If so I had to go up to 86 in my RG8 (same scale, 27") to be tight enough to avoid what's happening to you... Probably 80 will be enough. I used that 86 because I didn't have an 80 spare to use but making the math it should be enough.

kasketkrusher666 likes this.
  3. the_honeycat

the_honeycat SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply!

It's G1, not sure if it's the same octave on an 8 string or one lower. I will try to find something around 80 then, and also be mindful of my pick attack. :p

This also means I have to file down my saddles and the tuner peg hole for that string, since getting that 72 through was already a challenge and it sits a lot higher on the bridge, fucking up my string radius.

Cheers!

Zhysick likes this.
  4. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

I've played in this tuning for a couple years now on 27" scale. I use a set of 12s and replace the 6th string with a .080.