Getting rid of rep/thanks system?

Discussion in 'Site News & Support' started by Stealthdjentstic, Aug 1, 2012.

1. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

:scratch: I was wondering the same thing when someone was posting the other day about .100+ gauge strings.

2. traditional

traditional SS.org Regular

I'm all for the like/rep system, but the rep system easily gets abused in threads where opinions can reaaaaally vary and people get really annoyed over differing opinions.
    I.e, someone getting told that they don't belong in the thread because their opinion's different, but the giver's a coward and can only do it through anonymous neg-rep.

Edit: Also, as I've seen numerous times, someone asks for advice and doesn't get what they wanted, and gives neg rep accordingly.

3. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Solution is simple enough, avoid conversations about politics, religion, ethics, active pickups, sports and current events

4. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

i wish it was required to let it be known who leaves the rep

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Given how that usually goes, I'm going to have to strongly disagree here.

Take the most adult, level headed poster you know, well, the second they get a red box and find out who left it they become ever 12 year old that shouldn't be on the internet. :lol:

There is no good reason to need to know who left neg-rep.

If you feel you got abusive rep, report it. We'll be able to dish out more e-slaps. ;) :lol:

6. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Here's a pretty good example of what happens when someone signs neg rep (unedited for your amusement):

Rob_Ec @ 9:53 PM:
    Your music sucks as hard as periphery's does fagget

Rob_Ec @ 9:54 PM:
    your a dumb fuck and a ignorant fuck your one of the reasons this forum sucks ass
    you and all these other idiots just are on these bands nuts get off them already
    pathetic got my post closed
    fucken retard

Rob_Ec @ 9:56 PM:
    on the bands in the u.s nuts get off them already noob

Rob_Ec @ 9:58 PM:
    you act like a bitch so will i fagget
    i hate ignorant fucks like u that promote death core fuck u and your shitty fucken music
    you started the shit storm

MikeH @10:05 PM:
    Well, I saw the post after it was closed, so apparently I wasn't the only one who didn't like your over-the-top rant about why we should like exactly what you like. My apologies that I haven't catered to your every need. Have a good day! :yesway:

I believe Mr. Rob_Ec started a thread saying that Periphery sucked and there were no good American metal bands and MikeH signed his neg rep. I especially love how he go so worked up over it that he HAD to keep posting to MikeH within that 5 minute span. :rofl:

7. MaxOfMetal

That's pretty much how it always goes. It's happening enough that I'm penalizing both parties. All signing rep does is instigate more bullshit.

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I think it's more fun to report people's stupid posts like the above so they can be banned vs. neg-repping them and allowing it to keep being spewed

9. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

For the most part I just laugh because something like rep brings grown ass men down to the level of kids :lol:

10. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

I decided to check out a certain members rep after noticing he was a boarder line troll (Hint: he is our master).

You see a wall of red rep but there are a few, scattered positive rep posts. You read what's said in the positive rep and realize that all of the positive rep is actually neg. rep; the posters just forgot to select it. Clearly, people can work themselves in to a tizzy, pretending to be a justice dealing Judge Dread, enough so that they forget they actually need to pick the "I disapprove" option. :lol:

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm not sure if you're referring to Metal Ken or not since he DOES have a metric fuckton of neg rep but he's chosen to swap dozens of red for green and it does look way cooler, but he's not a troll so :scratch:

12. Randyrhoads123

Randyrhoads123 Got a 7

I feel that the like system is fine, and the rep system could be good in theory, but in my experience rep really serves no purpose positive or negative. Positive rep will be something like, "Thanks bro", and negative rep will be something like, "Dumbass". They're both rather worthless comments that didn't really need to be made in the first place, and that, along with the opportunity of anonymity while posting a rep comment, is a real breeding ground for nonconstructive comments and trolls. It really shows if you have a differing opinion to the majority of posters in threads about politics, ethics, or whatever emotionally driven topic there is to post about. People don't like people who disagree, even if an argument is backed up.

13. MaxOfMetal

Did you check his join date? I don't think anyone who has joined after 2010 even knows who Ken is. :lol:

Until relatively recently, rep was completely disabled in OT. Unfortunately, when the site underwent a migration that custom coding to VB was lost/disabled.

14. MFB

MFB ExBendable

:(

15. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

[​IMG]

Also, I miss Ken. :(

Not entirely true. The creator of a thread in OT could still be given rep via "thanks" even before the change. However, the little scale icon which allowed assignment of rep to individual posts was absent.

Anyone remember The Lounge? That was the place to be.

16. MaxOfMetal

That's pretty much what I was getting at. I don't think anyone here is complaining about Thanks or even positive rep for that matter, do you? :lol:

17. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I don't think most folks post NGDs for approval, it's just excitement and wanting to share new gear with other folks. Heck, they are some of the more useful threads. I don't see anything wrong with giving rep to someone that's posting pics of gear on the site. It's gear, that's pretty much why this site exists.

basically, new gear is the shit :shred:

18. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Well, I could try, but I'd probably get negged. :shrug:

19. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Gear comes and goes with me so fast it'd be silly for me to post NGD. :lol:

Although I might do like an all encompassing gear thread/reviews at some point.

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Says the guy with 1 iTrader review :lol: