Getting light shocks from my bridge and strings when playing through my tube amp.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by klinic, Oct 28, 2016.

  1. klinic

    klinic SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    335
    Likes Received:
    34
    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
    Location:
    VIC, Australia
    As the title says. It's kind of scary, I know that tube amps have really high voltages in them. It seems to be especially apparent on higher gain settings. It's a three prong cable and SHOULD be grounded, and I'm playing through a high end surge protector.
     
  2. kindsage

    kindsage SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    2,255
    Likes Received:
    121
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2013
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bump.
    Very curious about this as well.
     
  3. Andromalia

    Andromalia Pardon my french

    Messages:
    6,787
    Likes Received:
    677
    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2009
    Location:
    Paris, France
    The "should" merits investigation, because what you describe looks very much like an ungounded issue.
     
  4. wakjob

    wakjob SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    2,974
    Likes Received:
    164
    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Location:
    C-137
    What amp?
     
  5. vick1000

    vick1000 SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    2,639
    Likes Received:
    154
    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Florida
  6. vansinn

    vansinn SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    2,928
    Likes Received:
    164
    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2007
    Could be an isolation or grounding capacitor failing, so you have DC out on the input.
    Get it checked asap..

    While you likely experience a mere tickle, things could be worse.
    Way back in the days, we had a DK pop singer/guitarist getting a severe electric shock that caused damage to his spine - as in the shock made him arch bad enough to cause a broken disc.
    Not saying this is too often reported, nor a common problem or outcome, just a notice..
     
  7. Mike

    Mike The Traveler Contributor

    Messages:
    2,426
    Likes Received:
    367
    Joined:
    May 18, 2013
    Location:
    OH
    Outlet in your wall has an open ground or a wiring reversal. Get a tester for like $5 at a hardware store and check it out.

    [​IMG]

    If somethings messed, up I'd recommend an electrician or a knowledgeable dad to fix it if you don't know what you're doing.

    I actually had a similar problem when I was younger. I would feel this light static charge near my guitars bridge when resting my hand there. One day I had a friend come over and jam with me. We were both setup on the same series of outlets on the same side of the room, bumped elbows and got a nice jolt of electricity. Found out that the room had some wiring issues including some reversed polarity outlets and some outlets with open grounds.
     
  8. Jacksonluvr636

    Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    1,022
    Likes Received:
    68
    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2011
    Location:
    Stl
    This was my first thought. Check the wiring in your house, then check the amp. Or vice versa. Check them both :)

    Something is obviously wrong.
     
  9. klinic

    klinic SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    335
    Likes Received:
    34
    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
    Location:
    VIC, Australia
    Well I'm terrified now. Definitely going to invest in an outlet tester. Could this have done any as of yet unnoticed damage to my axe fx? If the shock is travelling though my cable it must be travelling through the axe-fx too.
     
  10. vick1000

    vick1000 SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    2,639
    Likes Received:
    154
    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Florida
    Not if the Axe has ground integrity. Meaning it's not defective.
     
  11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

    TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

    Messages:
    3,289
    Likes Received:
    536
    Joined:
    May 4, 2006
    Location:
    Auburn, Washington
    Yup, check the wiring in the dwelling.
    I used to encounter this all the time playing dive clubs with crap wiring. Always got shocked on the lips when I'd step up to the mic.
    One of the main reasons I went Wireless and won't go back except for recording.
    Now that I've switched from passives to actives, I never encounter it.
     

Share This Page