Getting a Harley in a couple of weeks, advice?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FifthCircleSquared, Mar 15, 2017.

1. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

I started riding last year, started on an '03 V-Star 650. In May of this year I'm going from the East Coast all the way to Tail of the Dragon and staying in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee for a few days.

I figured if I'm going to do a once in a lifetime roadtrip like this, I should do it on a once in a lifetime bike.

Now, I don't want this thread to devolve into Metric vs. HD vs. Get a Sportbike. I've chosen an HD for several reasons I'd be happy to elaborate on if asked about, but for now, that's the brand I've chosen.

So it all comes down to this: I've got a few different bikes from their stable to choose from. A '16 Lowrider S, a '17 Fatboy, and a '15 Street Glide with a couple thousand miles on it. I've sat on all of them. Out of the three, the Fatboy fits my body best, but has the worst lean angle and feels the heaviest (Even though the SG outweighs it.) The Lowrider makes my inner 20 year old horny (I'm about 30 now), looks the coolest, but has the least amount of features for long rides. The SG sits a little tall but my feet are still mostly on the ground while sitting, and would be the best touring bike for obvious reasons, but my days generally aren't longer than 300 miles.

Thoughts or advice? I'm basically just excited and can't go wrong with my choices, just looking to discuss. :hbang:

2. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Of the three, I would get the SG. Being the most comfortable, it's going to be the most likely to be ridden. It's like having an expensive guitar that stays cased in the closet vs the one on the stand in the living room.

Personally, I'd go metric due to low cost and low maintenance. If not, it'd be Victory or Indian. Curious as to why you are so set on the HD.

3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Definitely the glide, one of those is likely going to be my next big purchase so I can keep my breakout for the short trips, bar hopping and around town runs.

Long distance is ALL about comfort, the street glide is like riding a comfortable arm chair, so when you get off it at the end of the day, you're not sore. Covering long distances when you've been beaten up the days prior by wind or seating angle isn't great, so anything you can do to reduce that is going to be huge.

You could feasibly do it on all of them, but the glide will definitely be the comfiest, and in my mind, that's really what makes the biggest difference.

4. FifthCircleSquared

We'll see if my pockets are deep enough for the SG, it's definitely ready to go other than some slip on's. If I went FB/FLSTFI I'd definitely get at least a quick release windshield for it.

FWIW I've done 3-400 miles on a V-Star with only minor discomfort. Still, an SG at least looks cool for a tourer, not that looks matter overmuch.

Why HD?

-No big twin metric dealers near me that actually have any in stock
    -Only one Indian Dealer in the whole state, and I didn't really jive with them (the dealer, I thought the bikes were sweet) enough to drop the coin
    -According to Consumer Reports,post AMS bikes actually about as reliable as any other American Made bike
    -Everyone and their uncle knows how to work on them, kind of like the small block Chevy
    -On the same line, parts aren't generally hard to find
    -I like the feeling of riding history. I'm one of those guys that if I had the options/funds available, I'd pick an old muscle car over a Ferrari as a daily driver. Around here the roads are generally rough.

That all being said, can't just have one, amirite? I'd love to grab an old Ninja for hooning.

5. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Another huge plus for the HD stuff (and something I love a lot) is that there's a dealer EVERYWHERE. Parts are incredibly easy to come by (unless you own a breakout, apparently) and the aftermarket parts actually.f*cking.fit.

I love the Japanese bikes, Yamaha have made some of my favourites over the years, but the "universal fit" on aftermarket parts for Japanese bikes typically means "two hours in your garage, swearing violently making this part fit"

6. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

The only advice I really have on the HD stuff is to stay away from their chrome. It's some of the worst plating I've ever seen. They charge an arm and a leg for it, and it will start flaking in a few short years. Go aftermarket if possible.

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Benton? :rolleyes:

8. FifthCircleSquared

What about black? :squint:

9. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Cannot agree with this more. Harley literally puts a shop anywhere there is space in a town.

10. Bjorn218

Bjorn218 SS.org Regular

No one mentioned it. HD really means Hundreds of Dollara, which you will find out when you take it for scheduled maintenance during the waranty. Saying that, i still plan on picking up an old ironhead sometime in the future.

11. FifthCircleSquared

I never posted what I ended up with, so I might as well now: I bought a 2017 Fatboy, in Black/Gold two tone with a ton of chrome on it. Pretty against the grain, considering the blacked out thing is king right now. 0 regrets, having the time of my life.

I scrape the shit out of my boards, but the ride height has never held me back from having a blast.

12. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Not an owner myself, but my dad has a Street Glide that I've ridden a few times, and I loved it. Especially for a long trip like that, I'd definitely go SG. And this is coming from a guy who wants a Fatboy.