Getting 7.1 surround from a PC to home receiver.

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by MIL8, Nov 24, 2016.

1. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

I have a PC hooked to my home receiver which is a Pioneer VSX-1123, and I'm using the HDMI output from my video card to transmit the audio and video to it. However for a reason I can not figure out at times I can't get any audio and the VSX-1123 does not show up in the audio device list on the PC, and other times it works perfectly, the VSX-1123 shows up in windows as an audio device. I've tried replacing the HDMI cable but I'm still having the problem, but it is only with audio, video always works fine. I'm thinking maybe transmitting the audio over another type of cable might be a better choice. I have a free optical input on the receiver that I can assign to the PC input, so what would I need to buy to get the audio from the PC to the optical input of the receiver? The built in sound card on the motherboard does have an optical output labeled SPIDF but I can't figure out how to assign the audio out of this port. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

2. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

3. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I am doing the same thing with a similar receiver (the 523). I also use my t.v. as my monitor so keep that in mind.

What I do/did was hook the hdmi from my computer to my tv, then run my tv out to the receiver in. I use an optical for my tv and just use the signal select on my remote.

On my computer, In my sound window (right click speaker on task bar/playback devices), I disabled everything that wasn't the tv. When you open the window right click on it and select show "disabled devices". It will bring up eveything. Find what is working , configure it and disable everything else.

4. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions but my receiver is about 20 feet from my TV. I have all the components in the unfinished part of my basement so all you see is the TV. I just use a remote repeater to control everything, it works really well and you don't see all the wires components etc. I only need 1 long HDMI cable to run to my tv from everything else and I'm hoping to keep it that way.

5. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

H(ighly)
    D(issapointing)
    M(ultimedia)
    I(nterface)