Get rid of my Ironheart Studio for an OR15? Or get a pedal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by neurosis, Oct 15, 2016.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Sorry for the cheesy subject line/thread title on this. This is not really an amp A vs. amp B question but I wash´t sure how to phrase it.

I have had a Laney Ironheart for two years now. In all that time I´ve ran it at 15w maybe once. Never gigged it. Finally never used it for recordings (settled on the convenience of Amplitube and my IRs for that) which was the main thing I intended to do with it. Instead I´ve always kept it on 1W with a 1x12 at bedroom levels for fun and good tone with my pedals.

But recently I have gotten the Orange/british bug again and even though the Laney can rock I miss the warmth and character of the former. To be honest I also miss my Vox AC4C1-BL. That little thing paired with a Les Paul was amazing.

So I wonder what options you guys would explore in my situation. Sell the Laney and get an OR15 or a Tiny Terror? Get rid of the entire head and cab thing and go back to the Vox? Maybe get another combo like the Tiny Terror Combo?

Or another possibility is getting a good british voiced overdrive like the Friedman BE OD or maybe an amp in a box to go through the loop or the clean channel on the Laney?

I´m open to suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

You should be able to dial in such a tone on the Laney to be honest.. Try that first? It's a british amp after all.

3. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I would definately go the BE-OD into that clean channel. Those sound amazing thru a real amp. If you really need the voicing of an Orange, get a Micro Dark and run it into the return of your Ironheart, or an AMT O2. But all of the above boosted with the BE-OD would be amazing, so buy that 1st.

4. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

:agreed: I know it´s a british amp, but the voicing/character of this thing is definitely closer to a modern metal amp. It does´t have the bottom end of an ENGL but to me it feels they were going for that. Big difference however is that it´s got this strong cutting character, very precise and cold compared to the Orange and Marshall tones I like.

That´s why I was looking at options to either change it´s character convincingly or try a different thing altogether.

I can get great crunch tones like I would with the Orange but they are not int he same tone ballpark. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

5. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I have been thinking if it´s worth getting the pedal for 200 or spending the 600 dollar on the OR15 and getting rid of the Laney if I realize I like it so much more. Only thing scary with that plan is the Orange could be pushed from sludge into grind territory just fine but would feel a bit loose to play other tighter genres of metal. Otherwise it´s a fantastic amp, regardless of the one channel limited features setup.

I might get on the OD bus and see how that vibes with he Laney. Move to the Orange after though. Jus tnot sure what to do....

6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I'd try the BE-OD first. I have one and love that pedal and I don't even like Marshalls. It's got a Tight control and a Pres control and those two together work really well to dial it for whatever amp you're using with it.

I posted this vid somewhere on SSO already but check it out anyway. Buddy with my pedal into a clean Power Station: