Generic "Which 8-string under $1000?" thread...

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by AlgidInferno, Nov 11, 2011.

1. AlgidInferno

AlgidInferno SS.org Regular

Hey. Newbie here. Sorry if this is in the wrong section...

Anyway, I've been really interested in 8 string guitars. There don't seem to be too many affordable ones (at least for a broke-ass college kid), but of the ones out there, does anyone have a recommendation?

The only mandatory specs are a 27" scale and fixed bridge. I play a 27" 7 string, it feels great and I really don't think I could live with anything longer. Oh, and I'd like to keep it under $1000 USD. Preferably less, like maybe half that much if possible.

The Schecter C-8 has caught my eye, but I've heard that they "suck"...? I'm also familiar with Agile, my 7 is made by them, but I'm really drawn to their Intrepid models, which only seem to come in 25" and 28". I'd assume 25" would make the low string too "flubby", and 28" would inhibit playing on the higher strings. I break my high e often enough on my 27" 7 string, I can't see how 28 would make that any better.

Honestly I'd love to just grab one of these* and be done with it, but my OCD isn't cool with that extra inch, at least not right now. Does it make that much of a difference? If it isn't noticeable, I might go with it...
    *(Agile Intrepid 828 MN Ocean Burst at RondoMusic.com)

Another OCD thing... it seems that Agile offers either a bolt-on with a no-name bridge, or a neck-through with a Hipshot. I hear a lot of conflicting opinions regarding neck style, but that hipshot bridge sure sounds favorable.
    I like the "clean" look of a bolt-on neck though, no big awkward slab of wood going through the middle of the body XD Some say it's tonally better that way anyway.

Well... whatever. sorry for the wall-of-text. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rectifryer likes this.
  2. shredguitar7690

shredguitar7690 NEED MORE STRINGS!!

Snag a custom Intrepid while they are still available. It's totally worth it and there are sooo many options. You could go 27-25.5 or 28.625-27 fan even if you wanted to. :)

3. JoeJohn777

JoeJohn777 SS.org Regular

I can't really speak for the Agiles and the 28" scale since I don't own one but I have the Schecter Hellraiser C8 and I absolutely love it. The quality of the guitar is really great and it plays amazingly. I feel like I get good tension with a .080 dropped to E on the 8th but I know some people would find that too loose. The high end strings feel perfect to me with the 26.5 scale length but it really all comes down to personal preference. Somebody else might hate what I love.

4. aWoodenShip

aWoodenShip Great Job, Jeremy.

You could always get a semi custom Agile if the bolt on really bothers you. It'll run closer to $1000, but you'll get what you want at least. It's also worth noting that if you're upset with the lack of a hipshot, I don't believe that any of their models come with hipshots anymore.

Have you ruled out the RGA 8? It's bolt on, 27", fixed bridge, and you can probably find one used on the cheap to make up for the fact that you'll want to change out it's shite stock pickups.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  5. Jessy

Jessy Banned

Too small a fan and scale length for my taste. 27-30" recommended!

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

For under $1000 you're not going to find better than Agile, at least from the ones I've owned and played.

7. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

8. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

I second this. The Hellraiser Special is exactly the same as the regular Hellraiser, beside the neck being made of maple instead of the 3pcs Mahogany and the bridge. And they are solid.

9. Wrathos

Wrathos SS.org Regular

Carvin 8 string :)
    Base model on sale for 999.99 right now. Even limited custom shop options are available for no additional charge. 27" scale and fixed bridge. Definitely would blow an Agile away in my opinion. Although I could be talking out of my ass, considering I haven't gotten mine yet haha.

10. shredguitar7690

shredguitar7690 NEED MORE STRINGS!!

Yes 27-30 is a sweet fan. I'm getting a 27-30 9 string but for 8 strings, I wouldn't feel like it is necessary to go to 30 inches. It's all personal preference though. I just think the agile custom shop is cool. There are sooooo many options.

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

A Carvin 8, even with no options, will cost more than $1000 shipped. Trust me, I've had a "few" Carvins. :lol:

The Carvin will most definitely destroy the Agile, there's no question there, just good luck getting a DC800 for under $1k. ;)

12. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I recently played the c8 blackjack atx at a guitar center and with the proper string gauge it sounded pretty good. The sd blackouts are voiced pretty evenly across all the strings and when the amp is dialed in right there is a fair amount of articulation. Even though the scale length was only 26.5 i think that with an .080 for the f# the tension would be good even down to drop E. The neck was wide and sort of flat (flatter than a typical schecter neck) and the heel was very comfortable due to the set neck. The only thing i didn't like was the bolt inlay at the 12th fret but other than that it was a solid guitar with cool features for the price.

13. Wrathos

Wrathos SS.org Regular

If you're talking about shipped price yea it will be slightly above 1k.. About $26 higher heh. If Carvin would let you pick the guitar up from the factory it would technically be under 1k but I doubt that would happen. Anyway yea, you got me Max it's above 1k :bowdown: but $1026 seemed close enough :D

14. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Carvin carvin carvin carvin carvin

Konfyouzd likes this.
  15. GSingleton

GSingleton Sleep on, Fly on Vendor

ibanez rga8?

16. book_of_lies777

book_of_lies777 SS.org Regular

17. MGasparotto

MGasparotto Breaker of G strings

Get the one your looking at. I got a 828 intrepid and love it. I found the 28" scale pretty easy to get used to and I switched to it from a 25" 6 string. If you don't live in the united states and something goes wrong with the shipping of the agile your pretty much f*cked though =\

18. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

My pendulum 7 string is the tits, I would recommend waiting for a pendulum 8 string to come back in stock myself.

Also note people WILL recommend things they haven't played.

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

[​IMG]

$899... Schecter C8 ATX (in Walnut, Black, or White)

20. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I know his name sucks, but you should listen to Stealth... :rofl: